IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

I purchased a LPS-1 complete with Meanwell Energiser from VortexBox in the UK which arrived today.

I am using it to power a Wyred 4 Sound Recovery (Rev C) and have the LPS-1 set to 7v.  I wait 75 seconds and check that the led turns green.

When connected the soundstage is flat and instruments like pianos sound digital and not lifelike.  The sound is muffled, lifeless and horrible to listen.  Once I replace the original Recovery power supply the energy and amazing fidelity returns.  All instruments are natural again.

Something must be wrong as the reviews are positive about the LPS-1.  Others have used the LPS-1 with the Recovery with good results.  I’m hoping it is just a faulty unit because I was looking forward to the same results others have reported.

Hoping someone can help and tell me what could be wrong?

SOtM sMS-200ultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

SOtM tX-USBultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

I've listen for over an hour now.  The latest W4S DAC2V2 SE sounds amazing but with the LPS-1 powering the recovery it sounds worse than a £10 wind up radio.

I'm hoping someone can explain why this is happening.

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

Thanks for the replies, I haven't made any silly mistakes like not setting the voltage to 7v :)  I checked it several times before posting.

I also measured the LPS-1 voltage last night and there are no issues, it is supplying 7.04v.

The SMPS supplied with the Recovery is outputting 8.87v.

The Recovery has a safe range of between 6v and 9v.  Would there be any benefit of purchasing a second LPS-1 and using them in series to get 8.3v?

I'm grasping at straws but want to get the same result that the other 1000s of happy customers have experienced.  I doubt that multiple LPS-1s would make any difference but I'm willing to try.

I spoke to VortexBox (the supplier) on the phone and they are great to deal with.

I have no reason to think the LPS-1 I have is faulty it just isn't working well in my setup.

20 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Perhaps ask them to swap it out with another one?

Like many others, I've used the LPS-1 set at 7v with an RUR, with great results, so your experience is just puzzling. What do you have powering the microRendu? 

you shouldn't need a second one in series for sure.

The microRendu is not in use right now, there are issues with Native DSD.  It is a well known issue, W4S and Sonore are currently working on.

So in the short term I'm using a passive NUC as a NAA.  The LPS-1 was purchased as a clean supply for the Recovery at this stage.  It is good to know it will power both with a Y cable when needed.

Im puzzled like everyone that has replied so far.  Without hearing the difference first hand it is hard to believe a simple power supply could change the sound this way.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

No, that will not affect anything.

Just as with most every other device, the Recovery is dropping the input voltage down to both 5V (for its VBUS output) and 3.3V (for its hub chip and clock).  Regulators need a little room to regulate, hence the 6V lowest supply voltage recommendation.  Anything above that is just dissipated as heat.  

(If someone says they prefer a device such as this running with a higher input voltage, then the only possible explanation is that the hotter temps inside the case are keeping the clock a bit warmer.)

While there is a VERY small possibility of there being something wrong with you LPS-1, I suspect it is something else.  ANY product that makes a significant audible change will always have at least a few people who perceive such change as a negative.  What do they call that?: "The exception that proves the rule."  o.O

Martin at Vortexbox will take good care of you in any case.

Best,

--Alex C.

OMG I'm finally hearing the lovely W4S DAC2v2 SE with the LPS-1 and it bliss.

I replaced the DC4 cable that was supplied with the LPS-1 and immediately had a big grin with what I was hearing.

Maybe Alex will stop blaming my 38 year old hearing now the issue has been found :)

Hopefully Martin will send a better quality replacement cable.  I don't know what the issue is maybe bad shielding.

You were lucky Middy, while I had 2 days of doubting my ability to toggle a voltage switch and connect cables :)

I used a splitter cable.

Are the cables you are supplying with the LPS-1 good quality.

Can anyone recommend third party cables as I don't mind spending a bit to avoid what happened to me with the supplied cable?

Okay, here are additional facts:

The 27-inch DC cable that comes with the UltraCap LPS-1 is a 16awg coaxial cable with copper wire of unknown purity (I had 1,000 of these custom-made in China for less than $2 each);

Found one of your earlier posts, I think I must have got a bad one from this batch.

Sorry for confusing you, it was the cable that Uptone included with the LPS-1 that made the system sound bad.

I will contact VortexBox and get  them to replace the faulty cable.