IGNORED

What Are the Best Sounding Speakers You've Ever Heard.?

Bose 901s

because 'best' means what you are used to. When they first came out, I innocently walked into a hifi place in Cambridge, Mass.that had them set up perfectly. I kept looking around to see where the orchestra was then realized what I was hearing. As a young yokel from trailer trash country, I had a very limited knowledge of the best sound reproduction possible at the time...

For overall best for the price, I have to go with Maggies also. Some factors I did not see mentioned:

- very large sweet spot - you can sit or stand anywhere too and they still sound pretty good

- go ahead and shove them against the wall - they still sound pretty good (just don't think about what you just lost)

- unlike even the best cones, the drivers do not store energy and re-radiate it at the wrong time

- unlike electrostatics, they are not hard to deal with or to live with

I think you will be hard put to do much better than the 20's (tho I am at the low 1.5QR end).

Now, I never heard those plasma hydrogen speakers, but I bet they were the ultimate in some aspects of SQ (and the ultimate in making sacrifices to get SQ too...)

• 3 years later...

The  best sounding speaker I ever heard was Allen Ginsburg.

John McPhee was not good at all; luckily his wife did most of the reading.  At the "after-party" he spoke very little but kept watching everyone with very bright eyes.  I figured everything we we saying would be material for another book.