IGNORED

iFi's Pro iDSD (official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.

I didn't mention, my Roon core is installed on a Synology DS3615xs, and it works very well, I do not use upsampling, but tried for curiosity the upsample to DSD256 to the Pro iDSD and it works perfectly in my setup.

Using the iDSD Pro playing only by network cable is something to experiment by all owners of the iDSD Pro, the iDSD Pro produces a sound that is something to remember in this mode. The soundstage, separation and musicality is completely on another level that the one from a noise source with a poor USB Cable, and gives you a picture of the iDSD alone can acomplish.

10 minutes ago, gordec said:

What does your chain look like in this case? iDSD is not a Roon endpoint so you can't just tell Roon to play off iDSD as a network streamer right?

Hello, Roon Server is installed on the Synology DS3615xs and that takes care of the upsampling and all work Roon has to do, the endpoint is the SOTM SMS200 Ultra connected to the iFi iDSD Pro by USB, I am using an audio quest diamond USB between them.

At the moment the Mac Pro or even an iPad or iPhone are only controlers to play and choosing the music or albums to play. Roon support the direct network connection of the iDSD Pro but in a very limited form I only tried 44.1khz format, the DXD and other PCM High Resolution formats are downsampled by Roon.

With SOTM in the middle it supports all formats up to DSD256, I noticed that in the SOTM Page https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/eunhasu_-native-dsd-support/ they support the Micro and Nano line of iFi products with native DSD, strongly not the iDSD Pro. But works perfectly over DOP protocol. I will have to try this with my Micro iDSD Black to have share that Native is working or simply DOP.

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 17.01.55.png

44 minutes ago, austinpop said:

If you go to section 14 of this doc: http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:eunhasu:start#supported_native_dsd_dac_list

There is a definitive way to tell if the Eunhasu code will allow native DSD playback, as they (SOtM) appear to control it based on the USB id of the device, that you can view on the DAC Information screen in the Settings menu of the sMS.

Let us know what you find.

Hello,

It appears to be supported but at the moment only white noise is produced when any of the native options are selected, by DOP works perfect..

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 20b1:3008 XMOS Ltd 

The first words I have to say about it, I Am in love by a xDSD, this hardware design is love at first sight, makes me remind the build and quality of the Sony top of the line Walkman hardware of the 80's, latter their top of the linen latter minidisc players.

For the looks, build quality, it's like a jewel, I did not turn it on yet, but it's one of the most beautiful pieces I have haver seen.

I Will have a listen to it next week, received some more stuff that needs burn in.

IMG_9177.jpg

7 hours ago, Em2016 said:

I see you're using Roon too. What is your source? Just a direct USB connection from PC/Mac to Pro iDSD? Or a USB streamer?

Hello, I am using Roon with the Pro iDSD and an SMS 200 Ultra, and this works very well, DSD plays over DOP and I hope they include native on the next Eunhasu update, they support the micro and nano in native DSD and the ID is the same of the Pro iDSD so is very possible this will happen.

Roon does not support the Pro iDSD, it supports it with airplay protocol only, but airplay is very limited and poor compared to native RAAT support, so audio will be downsample to the airplay quality and that's terrible. 

The need for the RAAT protocol made me buy an SMS200 Ultra, after investing on the Roon infrastructure this is a need for future acquisitions. The combination of the SMS200 Ultra and Pro iDSD is impressive, but very expensive because the SMS 200 Ultra works best with an upgraded power supply.

If the RAAT protocol was included in the iDSD Pro the need for a SMS200 or other device like this could not be justified, to not talk about the added investment at least in my case.

5 minutes ago, gordec said:

This makes sense. I was trying to get Roon to play through iPad as endpoint -> Pro iDSD via CCK adapter. It would play like 2 seconds then everything stops. 

I have a pretty stable network connection, I do not use the wireless on the iDSD Pro, the wireless protocol on the iDSD I think is only 2.4ghz, and if is only 2.4ghz wireless, simply forget the wireless and go to wired connection is faster and stable. I have no audio dropout's in Roon.

If you play audio from Roon to the iDSD Pro, Roon has to downsample the file to be compatible with Airplay supported format, so starting the track could have a little delay. With a streamer play has no lag, and works as expected with all formats that the pro IDSD Supports.

I am having some strange issues with SOTM and ROON and also iFi iDSD Pro.

And this issue happens more frequently than I hopped, a video of the issue could be seen on the link below.

When changing the format on a playlist from PCM to DSD and DSD to PCM this happens sometimes, the only way of stopping it is change to another sample rate, or turn off the DAC and again ON.

Is something that has been present for sometime, and not only ROON related, anyone has had this issue?

https://youtu.be/iNyhjnLg2iA

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Stings said:

Oh, i figured out how to upsample. You press the Filter knob to switch between passthrough, DSD512 and DSD1024.

Yes, and if you press the input selector know you can dimm the display.

There are also the function Press and hold, on the imputes selector, press and hold changes the polarity, and on the filter selector pess and hold to configure WIFI by WPS.

37 minutes ago, Stings said:

Applesnow, does the IDSDpro sound better with the USBridge or with a direct Ethernet connection and Tidal or Spotify?

Thats a good question, I find the ethernet connection on the Pro IDSD a fantastic result, by usb connected to the computer it depends on the computer generated noise and quality of the usb connectors used inside, in my case was good but not on par with the ethernet UPNP protocol on Audirvana.

For this motive I acquired a SOTM SMS200 Ultra and an SPS500, this resulted on a positive combination and a welcome upgrade. But I have to say that the ethernet has more separation and focus, the soundstage is smaller on the iFi than the SOtM SMS200 Ultra and SPS500, but not worse, in my case I have the best of both worlds.

The sound of the iDSD Pro by UPNP by Ethernet Cable is something that amazes me, and if better support in software is given to the iDSD Pro, ethernet connection should be the way to go, and if future ROON software support is added you will have the ultimate killer one box DAC, I think you do not need much more to have a marvellous sound.

My updates where a little extreme, and the benefits is grown a bit. a bit more not a lot more, but not in the proportion of the final added cost, and even then with all the changes, that was a consequence of bad software support at the moment.

I find the iDSD Pro ethernet has a separation and sound stage that I never heard before in any other hardware, the USB requires some good hardware and cable pairing to be on the same level or above.

When I heard the ethernet sound produced, I saw what the iDSD Pro can give for the first time, and that made me to remove the computer from the equation, now it's working only as a remote control.

So both have advantages, but if you can go totally by ethernet, yes, is cheaper, sounds better, and needs more support from software at the moment.

English is not my home language, so forgive me some gramatical errors.