IGNORED

Roon, HQPlayer, and multiple rooms

Plato65

My computer audio set up currently consists of two iMacs with their own libraries & USB DACs and two other rooms without music :-(

I've recently been intrigued by the possibility of using Roon to manage the library and HQPlayer to output the music. So the idea is to use one iMac to keep the library and run both Roon & HQPlayer on it. Each room would then have something like a Sonore uRendu connected to the iMac via ethernet cable or ethernet over power line. Each uRendu would then be connected via USB to a DAC.

So the question is:

1) I know that Roon can output through HQPlayer and that Roon can output to multiple rooms, but can Roon output through HQPlayer different streams to different rooms?

If that is the case, then I have two follow-up questions:

2) Can each room have a separate room correction curve?

3) How powerful should the iMac be to be able to handle 2-3 simultaneous processes to upsample to DSD?

1) I know that Roon can output through HQPlayer and that Roon can output to multiple rooms, but can Roon output through HQPlayer different streams to different rooms?

You can do what you want very easily if you leave HQP out of the equation, but AFAIK, unlike Roon, HQP isn't really designed to output to multiple zones. What you could do is have one Roon zone outputting via HQP/HQP NAA, and one or more other zones using "plain" RoonReady/RAAT. You're asking about sending different streams to different zones, but just note that in the "combo" situation I describe, you can't synch an HQP zone with a Roon/RAAT zone. (I think you could play the same stream to the two zones, but they wouldn't be synched precisely.)

(I'm pretty sure the above is correct, but not 100% certain. If I'm wrong, I hope someone will correct me. For a definitive answer, check with @Miska and/or over on the Roon forums.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

You can do what you want very easily if you leave HQP out of the equation, but AFAIK, unlike Roon, HQP isn't really designed to output to multiple zones. What you could do is have one Roon zone outputting via HQP/HQP NAA, and one or more other zones using "plain" RoonReady/RAAT.

Thanks. It is as I expected then, which means a possible system could be where HQPlayer would then output to the "main" set-up in the living room and the other rooms would get "plain" Roon.

You're asking about sending different streams to different zones, but just note that in the "combo" situation I describe, you can't synch an HQP zone with a Roon/RAAT zone. (I think you could play the same stream to the two zones, but they wouldn't be synched precisely.)

Good to know. I was thinking of different musics playing in different rooms rather than the same being streamed everywhere.

It works as long as you have as many instances of everything as you want to play.

You can have multiple NAA's, and multiple HQPlayer's + Roon's playing to each. Each HQPlayer instance can have it's own configuration. Since any of the HQPlayer's can send to any of the NAA's and any of the Roon's can send to any of the HQPlayer's, you have quite a bit of flexibility on arranging things.

But every NAA-HQPlayer-Roon is like 1:1:1 when playing, so no synchronized one-to-many streams.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread...

I'm not sure I quite understand the responses.  

I'm in the process of procuring a server running Roon Core and HQPlayer in my main audio room.  I'll be using HQPlayer to create a 2.2 active system and for DSP / Convolution.

I'd also like to run a separate device in a different room (in my office) that acts as an HQPlayer NAA.  

My question is, can I have multiple HQPlayer zones that output separate streams - e.g. mutichannel and DSP in one zone, and straight 2 channel audio in my office?