IGNORED

New launch - SPDIF iPurifier

Just received an iFi SPDIF iPurifier and it doesn't play nice with the Chromecast Audio. It makes a noticeable improvement to the sound coming from the CCA, but as soon as the music stops a whole lot of crackling occurs. If I start playing music, the crackling goes away until I stop it again. Once it has started, the crackling continues even if I disconnect the iFi from the CCA. If I disconnect the power from the iFi, then reconnect it, the crackling goes away until I play more music, then stop it again, at which point it returns. I have tried it with a second CCA - same result.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

AMR & iFi-Audio :: Support Ticket System

Open a support ticket here. Give the guys your full system setup and any configuration options you think are informative.

The SPDIF iPurifier is 'dumb' it just passes the signal. It is either on or off. There are no switches. Our tech guys will take a look at your full system for you to see if we can offer any input.

Thanks for the feedback. After trying a few permutations and combinations, I was coming to the conclusion that it might be a problem with one of the power circuits in my house. Unfortunately, the USB power socket in the iFi has failed. I gather the internal connector has come adrift as the USB plug just rattles around loose in the slot provided.

I must say it definitely improved the sound quality of my system before it died.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Just send us your Support Ticket details and we'll ask the tech guys to arrange new one for you. Dont drop any personal details here please.

I'm in Australia, so I guess I should approach the local distributor, from whom I bought it, to arrange a replacement. I've been a bit unlucky with this but I appreciate the level of support you are offering and you really do have a good product.

- Einstein

• 4 months later...
I have the Oppo HA-1 DAC (which I love) and I recently encountered a problem when using it with the ifi SPDIF iPurifier. When there's no digital signal, the HA-1 makes crackling noises and the bitrate display changes, as if it were searching or trying to synchronize.

I contacted ifi and they said the ifi could not cause this since it's a passive device.

I contacted Oppo and they said that they didn't have any experience with the ifi device, but if it is a passive device, then the HA-1 may be detecting differences in the voltage (coaxial) or the signal (toslink) which is causing the error.

I tried the ifi on both the toslink and coax input on the HA -1 with the same noises in both.

Any ideas? Have any of you encountered this before?

I have exactly the same problem using a Micromega MyDAC. I contacted iFi support and they responded as follows:

The iPurifier SPDIF cannot output "random digital noise" if it has no input. It will follow whatever input is present. If not input is present, it will simply hold the last clock and transmit silence. This suggests that ultimately there is something on the source side.

I can't see the point in getting into a bunfight with tech support, so, since there is more than one of us with this problem I will deal with it here.

- It is not due to "something on the source side", because the IPurifier does it even when the input cable is unplugged.

- It does seem to have something to do with the DAC. It doesn't happen when I substitute a $50 no-name DAC, but the sound quality is nowhere near as good either.

- It definitely has something to do with the output of the iPurifier, since the MyDAC and presumably the Oppo, work fine when the iPurifier is not part of the chain.

-The IPurifier can be reset. If the power to the iPurifier is disconnected, then re-connected, the iPurifier remains silent until it gets some audio input. If the audio input is then interrupted, the noise starts again.

It is impossible to listen comfortably with the Tidal app as that generates a gap between each track, causing a burst of noise. To use Tidal, I have to bring up the Tidal web page in the Chrome browser and cast the tab to the Chromecast. As long as the tab is being cast, there is no unwanted noise from the iPurifier.

At this stage, I would normally chalk it up to experience and throw the iPurifier away. The problem is that when it IS playing music, the combination of the Chromecast Audio and the iPurifier sounds simply sublime. I would even consider getting a new DAC if I could find a reasonable quality one that was known to be compatible with the iPurifier. Anyone know of such a beast?

-

- Einstein

Thanks for the heads up, will hold off purchasing this for now.

I hate to put anyone off purchasing it, because it is a killer enhancement for the Chromecast when it is actually playing music. The question seems to be "Do you have a DAC which is compatible with it?" I am right now in the process of investigating a Maverick D1 DAC, as amadeogt confirms that this seems to play nice with the iPurifier.

- Einstein

• 2 months later...

This device is driving me crazy. I replaced my perfectly good MicroMega MyDAC with a Schiit Modi Multibit, because of all the noise I was getting with the MyDAC between tracks when it was connected to the iPurifier. The Schiit fixed the noise problem, but now I am getting no output from the iPurifier with 88.2 kHz files. They play fine if I remove the iPurifier from the chain and it makes no difference if I change DACs. Now I'm wondering if that has always been the case and if I didn't notice it while struggling with all the other problems I've had with the iPurifier. I only have a few 88.2 kHz files, so I may not have played them since I got the iPurifier. Input is from a Chromecast Audio. Has anyone else here been able to play 88.2 kHz files?

@AmusedToD The iPurifier can be plugged straight into the 3.5mm coax input. No need for a cable.

- Einstein

2 minutes ago, pas said:

I will test for you over the next couple of days, I have both the Micromega MyDac and the Schiit Modi MultiBit.

Thanks pas, though the problems seems to be with the iPurifier. If I leave the iPurifier out of the system, both DACs play 88.2 kHz and if I add the iPurifier, neither DAC will.

- Einstein

3 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

Are you sure? By looking at the pictures of the device I only see a male RCA type pin output (which is supposed to be plugged into a female RCA type input of the DAC), right?

Sorry, my mistake.

- Einstein

14 hours ago, pas said:

Snowmonkey,

I only had a small window of time today, here are my initial results. I started with the Micromega MyDac. My chain was microRendu - SMSL X-USB (USB/SPDIF converter) - Coax out to iFi SPDIF ipurifier - MyDac. I was able to play 16/44, 16/48, 24/88, 24/96, and 24/192. I was unable to play 24/176, the SMSL X-USB was sending the 24/176 file to the MyDac but the coax indicator light only flashed and wouldn't lock on. I have a Sony Blu-Ray player that will pass SACD 24/176 that I will hook up to the iFi and MyDac for testing. If I connect the microRendu directly to the USB of the MyDac, all files up to 24/192 play without a hitch.

Paul

Ah, so the iPurifier was able to process 24/88.2. Makes me wonder if it's some compatibility problem with the output of the Chromecast Audio. I once trialed a Wyred4Sound Remedy which choked on 24/96 from the CCA , but handled other sources just fine. Thanks again for your trouble.

- Einstein

• 3 months later...

Update: Having replaced my Micromega MyDAC with a Schiit Multibit Modi to eliminate the crackling between tracks, I have realised that the iPurifier doesn't enhance the already excellent output from the Schiit to any great exent. Given the iPurifier would not play 88.2mHz files through the Schiit, I have removed the iPurifier from my system. It's now doing duty enhancing the audio-out from my TV, which it does quite well.

- Einstein

1 hour ago, mikey8811 said:

So, in your view would this setup benefit from an SPDIF iPurifier?

It seems to be very much dependent on the DAC. It seems to me that a good quality DAC will inherently do what the iPurifier does - reclock the signal. Like the Wired4Sound Remedy, it is at its best with cheaper DACs, where there is more room for improvement. As I mentioned previously, I have found it to cause significant problems with certain DACs. The only way you are going to know is to try it with your existing setup. I think the suggestion above, that you buy through Amazon so that you can return it, is a good one.

- Einstein