IGNORED

Trying To Catch Up

I found this forum while searching for info on streaming iTunes on PC to my sound system for best results. Discovered I'm apparently way behind in the knowledge department.

Currently streaming iTunes from a PC to a 3rd gen Apple TV with optic audio cable to a Denon receiver.

Is there any advantage or potential improvement with sound quality using a 4th gen Apple TV or new AirPort Express? Anything else to consider?

I have an older model AirPort Express currently not being used. Looks different than the current model, with a built in plug and single Ethernet Port.

Thought it best to double check. Presumably, you are using an older Denon receiver, with no network audio file streaming capabilities of its own. You didn't mention the model and the majority of current receivers support at least UPnP/DLNA streaming if not AirPlay. The conventional wisdom is that a device's DAC is usually best used internally by its own network streaming mechanism, rather than when used attached to an external streamer.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thought it best to double check. Presumably, you are using an older Denon receiver, with no network audio file streaming capabilities of its own. You didn't mention the model and the majority of current receivers support at least UPnP/DLNA streaming if not AirPlay. The conventional wisdom is that a device's DAC is usually best used internally by its own network streaming mechanism, rather than when used attached to an external streamer.

Older, Denon AVR-989.