IGNORED

Bryston BDA/Perfect Wave Dac or PS Audio Digital Link III DAC

Has anyone reviewed all three in the same environment? I will be purchasing a DAC within the next month and would like to hear some of your thoughts on which one is the best type for my setup.

It will be used in the following system: Mac Mini -> Unknown DAC via Kimber Silver USB ->Linn Silver RCA Connects to Linn Classik Di

have not heard the Bryston, but I do have extensive experience with the DL-III and PWD. The PWD is way better than the DL-III, and to my ears, the DL-III is an incredible value (it blows doors on anything below $1500.00). All of these DACs use discrete output stages, which to my ears, give them an advantage over their IC opamp output stage counterparts. IMO, well designed discrete output stages can offer a more organic, natural sound (all other things being equal).

If your budget allows for the PWD and Bryston, I would forget about the DL-III, and get the other two DACs for a home audition in your system.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I just read your set up, and that you intend to go via USB to a DAC. If you are going to be going USB, I wonder why the Ayre QB-9 is not under consideration? I would definitely recommend you audition the Ayre as well. The Async USB implementation on the Ayre is a big advantage. In my experience, strictly considering these DACs via USB only, the Ayre clearly offers better sound than the PWD; like I said, I have not heard the Bryston, but considering its limited USB technology, I doubt it could equal the PWD or the Ayre via USB.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

If your DAC budget is limited to a $1000 or under, you might want to try the Wavelength Proton (Async USB). In my office I have a MacPro and entry level NAD/PSB setup. I didn't a/b the Proton and DLIII because the DLIII was already on it's way back, but my memory likes the Proton better. I don't have a soundcard in the MacPro so I only tried the DLIII via USB.

System1: iMac (Pure Music) -> Weiss AFI1 -> Audio Research DAC8 -> Leben CS600 / Merlin TSM-mmi + RelB3 -or- Eddie Current Balancing Act / Audeze LCD-2 headphones[br]System2: Macbook (Pure Music) -> Legato -> MHDT Havana -> Leben RS-100u ->Sophia Electric 300B monoblocks -> ZuAudio Soul Superfly

You may also want to audition the Weiss DAC2, I think the retail price is $400 more than the QB-9 and it's Firewire not USB.

System1: iMac (Pure Music) -> Weiss AFI1 -> Audio Research DAC8 -> Leben CS600 / Merlin TSM-mmi + RelB3 -or- Eddie Current Balancing Act / Audeze LCD-2 headphones[br]System2: Macbook (Pure Music) -> Legato -> MHDT Havana -> Leben RS-100u ->Sophia Electric 300B monoblocks -> ZuAudio Soul Superfly