IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

AFAIK you cant.

Core audio in Mac is limited to DSD128 and only custom drivers bypassing Core Audio can do 256. Like the Steinberg driver exaSound uses.

With Linux you cant yet officially do DSD512. If you have the right USB terminal, like Amanero, it can be patched to work with 512, BUT the Linux in the transport also needs to be patched. The officially released Linux does NOT yet support DSD512, but I keep hearing that it is coming soon.

David,

I too have an iDSD nano and micro. While you are correct, in a way, so am I partially. (I think)

They bypass core Audio AFAIK with firmware for the Xmos USB port.: Steps: Firmware Upgrade | iFi Audio

How to check Firmware version of iFi products on Mac OSX?

1) Click on the apple icon on the system bar.

2) Select “About this Mac”.

3) Click the “System Report” Button.

4) Find “USB” under “Hardware” and select it.

5) Find “iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio” and select it.

6) Look at “Version:”.

micro iDSD – Firmware | iFi Audio

2) This enables DSD256(DoP) operation, which requires 768kHz PCM at the USB interface level.

• Nano iDSD and micro iDAC2 CANNOT decode 768kHz at the DAC level, but they can all be programmed to receive 768kHz PCM at the USB interface level hence enable DSD256(DoP).

• With 5.2A, the user MUST make sure to manually alter the PCM audio settings correctly (especially Mac), otherwise there will be no audio output at all.

• In other words, when playing PCM files, the sample rate must NOT set to be higher than 384kHz. Only set the sampling rate to 768kHz when one wants to play DSD256(DoP).

• There is no need to use this firmware if one uses ‘native mode’ (not DoP) to play DSD or DSD files are not played at all.

Or maybe I am completely wrong here. LoL