IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

Has anyone used a Pink Faun I2S bridge to drive the Spring DAC? I have been using mine with a Singxster, but decided to give the PF a try. I put the card in a PC, and installed Windows Server 2012 R2 from scratch. Windows sees the card, the Spring locks onto a 48 kHz signal, but I can't get any sound out of it. Also, I don;t know if this is relevant, but a review of the PF card found that Windows Server 2012 R2 allows up to 32 bit, 19200 kHz, but I can only select up to 24 bit, 19200 kHz.

Any clues out there?

- richard

Richard, do you know what the HDMI pinouts are for the PF? You my want to check the Kitsune audio website on the SU-1 page to see what the Spring DAC expects to see on its HDMI input. The SU-1 has user adjustable pinouts to work with the various i2s implementations since there are no standards currently.

Hi, yes i'm well aware of all that. Both the Spring DAC and my PF card use LVDS signals over the PSaudio spec pinouts, as shown here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/htmlview#

Has anyone used a Pink Faun I2S bridge to drive the Spring DAC?

OK, I have it working now... turns out i had the wrong audio device selected (ahem) - in my defence, the pink faun just appears as another generic audio device....

So now I am fighting with Miska's NAA under Windows. It took me a while to figure out that NAA only supports ASIO drivers under Windows (some documentation would be nice), so I just installed ASIO4ALL and pointed it at the Pink Faun device, but NAA crashes when I start playing music. I've had enough for one night. I'll take a closer look and try again tomorrow. If I can't get it working quickly, I'll probably install Linux on another partition and see if I can get that working.

Linux (minimal, without any GUI) is generally much better option. Windows or macOS for a NAA is kind of strange beast because both OS are so bloated. But sometimes it is necessary from driver support perspective. Pink Faun is based on C-Media's chip which I think should work on Linux too.

OK, so I decided to go straight to Linux tonight, and knowing that your binaries are based on Ubuntu, I tried to install Ubuntu Studio (as I did on my i7 computer). However, when I select the option to install Ubuntu, it boots to a black screen. >:(

Lots of posts on the net about this... tried removing "quiet splash" and adding "nomodeset nolapic" to no avail. It's strange because I have installed debian, wtfplay, and snakeoil-OS (which is Ubuntu based) on this same computer in the past. *sigh*, too tired to fight any more tonight. I'll have another attempt tomorrow. This is becoming rather tedious.

Thanks Jud, indeed this id's only for NAA use. I'll try Ubuntu server tonight.

*sigh*. Just installed "Ubuntu Server 16.04.1 LTS", which I understand is "xenial". Installation went fine but system boots to black screen (again); hmm. Anyway, i installed openssh_server, so i am ssh-d into the machine, installed the xenial version of networkaudiod_3.4.2-33_amd64.deb.

So far, so good. But when i use my other PC to look for the NAA, the NAA dumps core with "illegal instruction", which suggests some incompatibility between Jussi's binary and the server I installed.

$ /usr/sbin/networkaudiod

[/usr/sbin/networkaudiod] (2965): networkaudiod Copyright © 2011-2016 Jussi Laako / Signalyst. All rights reserved.

[/usr/sbin/networkaudiod] (2965): asoundlib version: 1.1.0

Illegal instruction (core dumped)

$ uname -a

Linux foxtrot 4.4.0-31-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 13 00:07:12 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

help!

Is this an old computer? Illegal instruction can mean the program tried to use AVX or some other recent extension on a CPU that doesn't support it.

Well, it is an old design (although bought recently): it's an Intel DN2800MT mboard (atom (i think N2800) CPU).

SSE4.2 is needed. But for hardware older than that, the 32-bit binaries/OS should work...

Thanks for that.

OK, so I left the 64-bit kernel installed, but added i386 versions of libasound2, libstdc++6, and libc6.

Then i found that Jussi has not included a 32-bit version of networkaudiod for xenial, so I installed the one for stretch.

Everything looks good: networkaudiod now runs and is seen by hqplayer desktop. Only one small hiccup: I am not getting any sound out of my DAC! ... but the DAC is changing samples rates as I change them on hqplayer, so at this point I am going to assume that the lack of sound is due to the fact that I have not yet configured ALSA, and not due to any binary mismatches...!

i'll go off and do some research into ALSA...

Yes, I don't have 32-bit Xenial installed anywhere yet. But I can probably update my old Trusty virtual machine and build a Xenial-specific package.

The stretch version seems to be running fine (despite the lack of sound!), so don't bother. Thanks for the offer though!

Check volume control on both HQPlayer and your DAC/USB interface, both ALSA and HQPlayer use lowest volume setting for starters for safety reasons. Use for example "alsamixer" to adjust the volume, you can use "aplay -l" to list the devices and then for example "alsamixer -D hw:1" in case your DAC's device is "hw:1". Then you can store the mixer settings as defaults for next boot with "alsactl store".

Ah, just came here to post an update after doing exactly what you propose above. In alsamixer, I can see the card and it is not muted, but all of the volume settings are locked to zero. I did find some posts from one person with the same problem, but no resolution was ever posted. Again, I'm speculating that some additional configuration may be required. I note that in /usr/share/alsa/cards there is a CMI8788.conf, but no CMI8888.conf.

I have emailed Pink Faun to see if they are able to offer any guidance...

Just download the ZIP and see what is inside...

Ah, apologies: I had deleted the 32-bit previously.

However, the crashes continue. I set a log file for NAA, and see the error:

protocol error: clSocket::Send(): send(): Unknown error

... which I notice in the NAA thread on this forum, someone else had but overcame it by using the beta of HQplayer, so i am downloading the beta now...

Just for information of anyone else that may go down this rabbit hole, I never have managed to get the Pink Faun I2S bridge working properly under Linux (at best, I get stutters even with redbook files using squeezelite, but no sound at all using NAA), but I did install Jplay on my ControlPC and AudioPC, and can successfully play music over the network using the Jplay mini player on the controlPC. But if I try to use the (local) Jplay driver as the output for HQplayer, HQplayer crashes.

This looks like a network configuration or firewall issue.

Re firewall, well it works from Jplay to Jplay, and also works from the same hqplayer desktop configuration to a microRendu in NAA mode.

In desperation, I bought a license to Windows 10 and installed networkaudiod on it last night, with the same result: selecting ASIO4ALL driver results in networkaudiod crashing. Unfortunately, my 30 day trial of hqplayer desktop on Windows has expired, so I cannot try it with Jplay... (this was running hqplayer desktop under Linux)....

@Miska, I can't help but wonder if the crash somehow results from running networkaudiod on my (Atom 3200 based) hardware. Do you know for a fact that the 32-bit Windows binary works on this hardware?

At this point I am giving up and will try Linux again on the NAA... however, I need to get the Pink Faun card working properly locally before I start trying to get it to work remotely! I just heard word from the Netherlands that I might have to install a 32-bit version of Linux to get the PF card to work properly under Linux (it seems to work just fine under 64-bit Windows!).

Richard