IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, GoldenOne said:

The main advantage with dsd for many regular dacs is that you can bypass and effectively 'replace' the modulator in the delta sigma dac itself with hqplayer's high performance once. 

With an r2r dac like the spring, there is no modulation needed as it can convert natively at 24 bit (cause its r2r). 

Whether you end up preferring dsd or pcm on it will come down to personal preference. 

In some areas dsd is objectively better but subjectively I prefer pcm on holo

Who buys an r2r resistor ladder dac than uses the chip based dsd as their preferred option. 

Just get the d90se if that's the way you prefer to listen n save significant money and have better dsd 

( my opinion) 

7 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

The dsd converter in the spring (and may) isn't a chip it's discrete. 

It has separate discrete converters for both dsd and pcm. 

Also the d90se is ess so it wouldn't actually convert dsd natively anyway. Ess dacs convert to pcm internally as they utilise a lot of dsp for stuff like their THD compensation

I had read the spring uses a proprietary chip for dsd. And their is only one ladder, it's for pcm. 

The may having balanced ladder dacs for dsd and pcm both 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Miska said:

I'm using one of three filters: poly-sinc-short-mp, poly-sinc-ext2 or poly-sinc-gauss-long with ASDM7ECv2 modulator to DSD256 output to Spring 1, 2 or 3 (I have all three).

If one wants to try PCM output mode, use 1.4/1.5M output rate, set DAC Bits to 20 and above filters. PCM Gain compensation set to -6 dB.

Where is pcm gain compensation 

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, rah50 said:

I'm thinking of changing dacs. Currently I have a pretty good Sabre dac, a W4S DSD2 v2 SE, but I find it lacking in a couple of areas which I won't mention so I don't prejudice any responses. The Spring 3 is at the top of my list but I've never heard one. So my question is:

If you gone from a Sabre dac to the Spring 3, what differences would expect me to hear?

Also:

How good is the built-in preamp?

What level would you suggest, 2 or 3? 

Thanks!

Built in Pre amp is Top of the line.  Absolutely worth it 

• 1 month later...