IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

• 2 weeks later...
Got it. But to clarify, I read in another part of this thread that with ISO2DSD you can rip a 2-channel ISO or a multi-channel ISO but not an ISO with both. Is there another tool that can do both at once?

No, ISO2DSD will handle ISOs with both stereo and multichannel, but it will not rip both layers at the same time. You'll have to do it serially. I doubt there's any solution that will do both simultaneously.

And to clarify, when creating an ISO of an SACD using any method, the entire SACD content of the disc (so, not the Redbook if it's hybrid)—including both stereo and multichannel, if it has both—will be contained in the ISO. This includes ISOs created using ISO2DSD. So, you can use it to both archive to ISO and then to rip the stereo and multichannel layers to DFF (or to DSF for the stereo only, but this is not recommended due to zero-crossing issues).

- JediJoker

To clarify again, what you are saying that once you set the output setting of ISO2DSD to RAW ISO, it doesn't matter what you set the channel mode to, because you'll always get an ISO with both layers. But then you have run ISO2DSD again to extract either the stereo or multichannel layer. Is that right?

Exactly so.

- JediJoker

• 2 weeks later...
I had bought one in Australia (BDP105AU) which would not accept the update once I arrived in Paris. Would detect my IP address and say it is incompatible.

You should be able to download the AU update from Oppo's support website, then copy to and install from a USB stick.

- JediJoker

It may boot to a Dos operating system or whatever, and in our case, it boots to whatever is in that Autoscript folder and loads whatever it is in it.

Except that the player clearly isn't booting from the stick. If it were, the player's OS wouldn't be running. The player is booting from its internal storage. The AutoScript is just a daemon, and it can only be loaded after booting the player, to my knowledge.

- JediJoker

• 2 weeks later...
I listen to each ISO after it has been ripped. So far, after a couple dozen rips, I have had 2 repeatable audio "clicks" with a lot of high-frequency energy. I re-ripped both SACDs and the clicks were gone. This process seems to be less than perfect, so ultimately we must listen to the rips before archiving them.

I think the rips are "perfect" insofar as there is no loss of information from the player's buffer to the destination of the rip. That is to say, if there are uncorrected disc read errors, they will be present in the rip as well.

- JediJoker

• 2 weeks later...
Hi! I am not sure how to get my computer's disk drives to read the SACD layer of these disks. Please help me to understand and I will be forever greatful!
Simple: you don't. You create an SACD ISO using a PS3 or Mediatek-equipped player as transport, then use the computer to rip from the ISO image of the SACD. You can use ISO2DSD for both processes. Server input for creating the ISO, then file input for ripping to DFF/DSF.

- JediJoker

The only display difference that I notice is when playing a SACD from my player vs a USB drive with dsf's is Source Format. Directly from a SACD it says DSD 2.8MHZ from my USB Drive playing .dsf's it says DSD 2.8224MHZ. Not sure if this is a product of SACD_Extract.exe or iso2dsf.exe. Looking at the dsf files with mp3tag is says frequency 2822400 Hz.

2.8224MHz is the true sample rate of 64fs/1x DSD. "2.8" is shorthand.

- JediJoker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I didn't realise XLD did this now. Do they do multichannel?
Good question, I never bother with multichannel. You may have a problem though converting to WAV, I believe that's a stereo-only file format.

XLD handles multichannel just fine. WAV is not stereo-only.

- JediJoker

How are you opening the .iso or .dff files in XLD?

EDIT: hmm...weirdly this started working. I have no idea what changed but I now seem to be able to open .iso

I haven't actually used XLD with DSD, I was just reporting that it handled multichannel audio files and that WAV can most definitely have more than two channels.

- JediJoker

• 2 weeks later...
Cant wait for the 2017 Mofi releases of the Dire Straits catalogue due later this year...

Don't hold your breath...

If your equipment can down-mix, isn't it more efficient to rip and convert in Multi (in case you want to someday impress your earbud friends?)

If you want to listen to some hardware's or software's idea of how to downmix, sure. But if you want to hear the way a human mixed the music in stereo or surround sound (most of the time; sometimes, it's an upmix, but even that is usually done by a human using software algorithms), you listen to the appropriate layer. The point is, if you rip to ISO, both are contained. You can listen to or convert either layer for playback at any later time.

- JediJoker

Oh sure they can; he is talking about faux surround releases by folks like Silverline that take stereo masters and apply out of phase info to l-r, etc. Be very glad you didn't spend your hard earned money on those.

You are describing "upmixing," the process of taking a master that contains a limited number of speaker channels and using technology to expand those to more speaker channels. It's the opposite of "downmixing." "Remixing" requires access to the original multitracks.

- JediJoker

No. SACD is other optical format than DVD.

Actually, no. The storage device is exactly the same in density and capacity (4.7 GB per layer). The difference is in the data structure. If you burn an SACD ISO directly to a DVD-R, it is—for all intents and purposes—a written SACD-R. It is not just a collection of .DFF or .DSF files on a data DVD. As has been mentioned, though, most SACD players are not capable of playing SACD-R, just as many (early) CD players struggle with CD-R.

- JediJoker

Despite what you read, the sacd_extract file can only rip to ISO or also extract to DSF or DFF files (both DSD file formats). If you are getting 24 bit files then some other program, done after sacd_extract has done it's thing, is getting run to convert ISOs or DSF/DFF to PCM. It would not be within sacd_extract, so no, they are doing extra steps to convert from DSD.

But iso2dsd does.

- JediJoker

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Jud said:

I wonder how many studios even offer 24/96 capability?  The tendency has been to make the highest number of tracks available, rather than higher resolution in a more limited number of available tracks.

You'd be hard pressed to find a professional studio that can't do high track counts in 24/96.

- JediJoker