IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

My first post here! I have successfully ripped over 60 SACDs with my Oppo 105D and Mac using the Sonore iso2dsd software. Despite my very basic computer skills, the process has been smooth without any problems. Now I have bought the Oppo 205, which does not allow the ripping of SACDs, so my plan was to sell the 105, and buy a cheap Sony or Pioneer for the sole purpose of ripping in future. I have bought a Sony BDP-S5100 relatively cheaply on eBay, but I can't get it to connect to my network. (I believe, this model is one of the ones that can rip SACDs).It is hardwired to my Airport Extreme router. I have noted the IP address and entered it in the software and clicked "execute" but get the message "failed to connect-can't open.." I have tried on my Oppo in the same way, and and it works perfectly. Am I doing something wrong? PS when I started the Sony for the first time, I was prompted to update the firmware. Was that a mistake, I wonder whether that removed the possibilty of SACD ripping? Thanks in advance!

I really appreciate your responses, although a little advanced for my level. Basically I followed the instructions on this video:- 

I used a no-name 2gb usb flash drive which contain these files:- Autoscript, autoscript TSS and sacd extract. Then I repeated the exact same process with the same flashdrive and files on the Sony. Do I need different files for use with the Sony, and if so where do I find them? Is the procedure different than with the Oppo? The drawer does open when I insert the flash drive. I suppose, I am really asking for a step by guide for dummies to get this to work.. thanks for your patience! In the meantime I will reread this thread, especially the bit about the "sleep method"

17 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Prepare a USB thumb drive with the correct AutoScript for Sony/Pioneer units (no that Oppo script you've always used won't work).

Set-up the S5100 to enable Quick Start mode (this is what allows the machine to sleep).

Follow the previously supplied step-by-step:

Step 1: Power on Sony S5100

Step 2: Connect USB thumb drive dongle/AutoScript runs/tray opens automatically/load SACD

Step 3: Power down Sony S5100/tray closes automatically/player goes to sleep/AutoScript gains root access control

Step 4: Execute rip in ISO2DSD with one click while Sony S5100 is fast asleep

Ok, now I have the right AutoScript on my thumb drive(AutoScript TSS,AutoScript,sacd_extract_160) and have enabled Quick Start mode but the drawer does not open automatically when I insert the thumb drive in the Sony....

18 hours ago, tmtomh said:

If that's the case, then I would tend to suspect the formatting of the thumb drive. Are you sure it's formatted in FAT16 or FAT32, with an MBR scheme/partition table?

In my experience, the only time the Sony's drawer wouldn't open was when I had the USB drive formatted as exFAT (which is similar to FAT32 but not the same).

I have tried with 2 different USB drives, a NoName 2GB and a Nashua 32GB. In Disk Utility I formatted them as in the attached screenshots. Unfortunately, the drawer still doesn't open. Its strange, it opened when I used the files intended for the Oppo 105. Any more suggestions, what I could be doing wrong?

Mark 2GB FAT32.png

Mark 32GB FAT32.png

Contents USB 2GB.png