IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Thanks all---

Having a heck of a time here.

I followed the instructions (I think) carefully, trying to use on BOTH Oppos (103/105). Nada. Keeps failing to connect.

I re-read the forum, one thing I can think of is the NEITHER Oppo's tray opened automatically (step 9).

Also, the Sonore ISO2DSD app is asking for a port number. I called Oppo, they know nothing.

Help!

Thanks all---

Having a heck of a time here.

I followed the instructions (I think) carefully, trying to use on BOTH Oppos (103/105). Nada. Keeps failing to connect.

I re-read the forum, one thing I can think of is the NEITHER Oppo's tray opened automatically (step 9).

Also, the Sonore ISO2DSD app is asking for a port number. I called Oppo, they know nothing.

Help!

PS, I'm using an iMac with Yosemite.

So let me see if I understand...

Flac is a higher resolution than Redbook, yes?

If I convert to Flac, put on thumbdrive, I can get 96 or 192 through my Oppo?

JRiver is PC only?

How do I stream? Or must I hardwire?

I appreciate your understanding, I'm quite new here obviously.

Thank you.

Happy Camper here. Kudos to the OP and those who kept up with degrees of difference.

Whereas

The instructions are to rip at DUAL, meaning stereo. (correct?)

Last night, from one SACD, I did TWO rips, one DUAL and the other MULTI. Then I listened and played with buttons. It seems that if you rip id DUAL, you will always be in stereo. And you cannot rip in DUAL and expect MULTI. But MULTI seems to be MULTI. Or is if a lower-volume stereo coming from the rear?

Now, believing in authenticating a real-time stereo experience (jazz, etc, think Kind of Blue) DUAL is almost always the preferred method. However, listening to Classical Music, usually recorded in a hall or a large-room studio, and many recordings live, (and seldom close-mic'd), part of the experience is encountering natural reverb coming from the back of the hall, sic, a MULTI-channel recording and playback.

QUESTION,

Is there a reason the OP (and others) instruct to rip in DUAL and not MULTI? MULTI seems to work, but perhaps ripping MULTI is not what it seems.

What say yooze?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

BRAVO Chichaz. 

Here is (are?) my 2cents (although may have been already posted):

- on my iMac:

-- I import .iso directly to JRiver. Works great-- it converts on the fly to tracks with tags (still calls them .iso). It also eliminates clicks (as opposed to .dsf). 

--- I convert to ALAC (bit for bit) then remove .iso from library (not files)(see advanced tools in JRiver)

Two options for playback:

1- iMac > toslink/fiber > main transport. Plays back in 96 (iMac limitation)

2- iMac > wifi > Apple TV > secondary/tertiary transport. 

I control completely from from my iPhone via Remote app (iTunes) or JRemote. 

Gentlemanly tip of the hat to all ESPECIALLY ted_b for the original revolution as now I have 96 all over the house. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, TODDCA said:

I currently have a Pioneer BDP-80FD player.

If you were getting a 2nd player as a backup for ripping SACD's only with no other intended use, which would you get knowing it may sit on a shelf but if you needed it you want some life left in it:

1. A sony BDP-S590 used <$100
  2. Another BDP-80FD new ~ $230-250
  3. A used Oppo BP-103 $300-400

Just looking for other's thoughts.  One of mine is I could pick up two of the sony's put them in the closet and still not spend as much as the other options.

Gentlemen, I have an Oppo 103d for sale. $400. 1226 FW. 

Thanks to this discovery, I’ve ripped all my SACDs and have a 105d on the shelf as well. 

I hope we can help each other. 

• The Computer Audiophile changed the title to SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!
  • 1 month later...