IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Hi Folks. I am getting ready to take the plunge are replace my Oppo 93 with a unit that will support SACD archiving to a network drive. I'll probably stay with Oppo and do it as inexpensively as possible so I guess it's the 103. Are there any rev levels to stay away from or will the newest units work? Also, if there are other recommendations from other manufacturers that are as good as the 103, I would like to hear from you as well. I'd appreciate it!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

All Oppo BDP-10x family players will work and the process still works with the latest firmware, so you don't need to avoid anything like recent firmware versions.

Roger that and thanks for confirming!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

All Oppo BDP-10x family players will work and the process still works with the latest firmware, so you don't need to avoid anything like recent firmware versions.

Hi Folks. I got my BDP-103 in and installed. I am having problems with Sonore's ISO2DVD program reading from the BDP-103. I manually set the BDP to XXX.XXX.X.103 to make it easy to remember and can see it from my router. Also, the BDP wants to update the firmware which I currently have dismissed. I powered the unit on and plugged in the USB with files in the root directory of the USB. The disk drawer opened and I inserted an SACD which the player read. I launched ISO2DVD, made sure that the IP address was good and the port was set to 2002. I set the output mode to RawISO and hit execute. I got:

Failed to connect

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.03.103:2002 for reading

Do I have to figure out how to open that port and, if so, do I do it in the router or exactly where? If not a port issue, any other ideas?

Thanks folks!

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but when the drawer closes, you don't run iso2dsd yet. That's step 2.

Step 1 is ripping the sacd files using the sacd extract cmd . That will rip the sacd into an ISO on your PC.

THEN you run iso2dsd to break the iso back into the dsd/dsf tracks.

Thanks pvanosta! I'll give that a try. Here are the results: When I click on sacd_extract.exe, a window appears for a few miliseconds and the disappears. What indications should there be that things are working correctly?

Incidentally, I was using these simplified instructions that were posted elsewhere in this thread:

Simple Instructions for PC users with iso2dsd (adapted from

grill's post)

1) Connect your player to your LAN according to the player's

manual. Write down the IP address of your player. Check if you see your player

in Windows/Network/Media Devices of your PC connected to the same LAN.

2) Copy the unzipped AutoScript folder to the root of a USB

stick. You can leave your other files on your stick.

3) Copy the iso2dsd_PC_v7 (from Sonore iso2DSD) unzipped

folder files to a drive of your PC connected to your LAN. Make sure your drive

has enough free space for the SACD iso(s) to be ripped.

4) Turn on your player and turn off the Auto Play Mode and

Auto Resume in the Playback Setup. Connect your prepared USB stick to your

player. The tray should open. You can leave your USB stick in your player or

remove it.

5) Insert an SACD and close the tray. Wait until the player

recognizes the disc.

6) Run iso2dsd_gui.exe from the drive on your PC. Select

Server Input from topleft. Select Raw ISO as the Output Mode. Enter the IP

address of your player (from Step 1) in the IP Address Port window*. Click on

Execute. The ripping process should start within few seconds.

7) When dsd2iso indicates Done, eject disc and repeat from

Step 5 (or click Quit).

8) Remove USB stick and reboot to return to normal player

use.

The issue is between step 5 and 6.

Here is what I use:

You can do rips with your Oppo 10X or with other compatible players as simply as follows:

1) Connect your player to your LAN according to the player's manual. Write down the IP address of your player. Check if you see your player in Windows/Network/Media Devices of your PC connected to the same LAN.

2) Copy the AutoScript folder to the root of a USB stick. You can leave your other files on your stick.

3) Copy the sacd_extract folder to a drive of your PC connected to your LAN. Make sure your drive has enough free space for the SACD iso(s) to be ripped. With a text editor write the IP address of your player in the sacd.cmd file.

(Please note that sacd.cmd is only a text file of the following command line: sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.106:2002 -P -I

Since the IP address may vary so does the MD5 hash of sacd.cmd.)

4) Turn on your player and turn off the Auto Play Mode and Auto Resume (or similar) in the Playback Setup. Connect your prepared USB stick to your player. The tray should eject. You can leave your USB stick in your player (it doesn't matter).

5) Close the tray with an SACD. Wait until the player recognizes the disc. Run sacd.cmd on your PC. The ripping process should start within few seconds.

YOu will see the ripping process progress in the CMD window. It disappears when completed. Now you have an ISO on your PC.

NOW you go to Iso2dsd and run it to extract the iso into its component DSD/DSF tracks.

Thanks once again. I will give it a try. I have two questions if I may:

Regarding Step 2, what exactly are the files in the Autoscript folder? When I downloaded the "folder", there were three files I believe? These files are to be in a folder, correct, and not the root of the USB? Also, I need to edit sacd.cmd to use my specific IP address.

Regarding step 3, the contents of the sacd_extract folder can be in the root director of the drive or can they reside in a subdirectory (folder)?

Many thanks for the hand holding!

Should'nt it read : 192.168.1.103:2002 ?

Envoyé de mon E5603 en utilisant Tapatalk

Possibly but my network is currently set up for XXX.XXX.3.XXX instead of the typical .1. in the third field of the I.P. What I will try is to configure a standalone network with just a router, the computer and the BDP-103 on it with the ".1." convention and see how that works. I'll keep you all posted!

Before you try that, try the previous suggestion of using "192.168.3.103:2002" instead of "192.168.03.103:2002" - I'm not sure why leading zeroes are a problem, but they usually are.

Thanks everybody. I went ahead and configured the standalone network using 192.168.1.XXX and it was a ripping success! I will now go back and put the Oppo on my standard network and reconfigure the Sonore app for the correct IP address without the leading zero in the third field and will let you know what I find.

I am happily filling up unused disk space to the tune of about 2.5MBsec!

(Incidentally, I am using Pvanosta's method by launching the CMD file. I'll try the alternate method using the EXE file now that I've got something working.)

Nope. His procedure is correct and is the one I use but he didn't say if he made sure to check "Server Input."

Thanks once again to Kal and to pvanosta for the simplified instructions. Both methods, the command line interface and the ISO2DSD gui executable one, both work. I suspect somewhere along the line I got my head up and locked and couldn't see the forest for the trees.

One final question/though: The BDP is nagging me to do a firmware update. I want to but hesitate to do so because of issues not being able to work with iso files when updating my older BDP-95 without thinking. As far as you know, this ripper mechanism is not firmware dependent correct? Also, I don't know if it matters or not but it appears the BDP-103 I purchased is Bluray and DVD code free/region free.

Thanks again! You guys are the best!

Nope. His procedure is correct and is the one I use but he didn't say if he made sure to check "Server Input."

The thing I like about the ISO2DSD solution is that you can capture either an ISO file or go directly to DSF if you so choose thereby eliminating a conversion step. There may be some downside to doing that but I am unaware of any at this point.

I want to repeat what I've been saying for the past 5 years (since I wrote the guide): you want to use the spinning disc machine (formerly out of production scarce PS3 models, now the much more available Oppos and Pioneers) for creating ISOs. Why?

1) ISOs are the perfect way to archive your SACD colelction, as they are perfect copies of the disc and are handy if the disc gets scratched down the road (and you want to play them on a machine that plays SACD-Rs) and also they include multichannel and stereo in about 60% of the cases, so if you happen to later get into multichannel you have an ISO for extraction

2) don't waste the precious and fragile spinning motor and laser reader to do work that your computer can do (i.e extract DSF and/or DFF) ten times faster.

Hi! I am not sure how to get my computer's disk drives to read the SACD layer of these disks. Please help me to understand and I will be forever greatful!

Yep that's what I was seeing too in an earlier post. I defeated it I think by going to a command prompt and running the program manually. Maybe the script needs an update?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got mine working, somehow, and I don't know exactly why. I think I had the IP address filled with a leading zero where the ".1" would reside.

May you "rip" in peace!

The ISO is already on your computer (now that you created it via PS3 or player and stored it on a hard drive) and then use the computer (MAc or pc) to extract to whatever you'd like with either ISO2DSD or Bogi's ISO2DSF workflow.

Thanks for the tips. I misunderstood thinking there was a way to rip the ISO via the drive in the computer as well. My bad.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi. I just found this thread and just got a Pioneer BDP-80FD from Amazon. I created the USB key with the files and when I inserted it the tray opened.

Then I got iso2dsd_gui.jar and sacd_extract, put them in a folder on my MacBook Pro and ran

./sacd_extract -i 192.168.7.48:2002 -I -P

And got this error:

Failed to connect

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.7.48:2002 for reading

I can ping the player fine. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

David

I'm not sure. Can you try using ISO2DSD.exe, the executable, using the nice GUI instead of the command line interface and see if you can reach the player that way?

Also, as someone pointed out to me earlier in my ripping career, make sure that your network's IP setup has a "7" in it instead of the "1" that most network setups default to? I know you said you could ping it but who knows?

Good luck!

Does anyone know if the latest non-beta Oppo BDP-10x firmware is ok to install with this exploit?

I've been hesitant to upgrade the firmware until I have my collection safely backed up.

I installed the latest firmware from the internet without a problem. But, as always, unless you have a real need for the latest firmware, why risk it?

Now I can, at last, hear the DSD sound from my Ifi iDSD.

And, on a completely different topic, iFi makes some great stuff! I have their iCAN PRO headphone amp and swear by it!

Seeking help in trying to rip SACD from 105.Firmware Version : BDP10X-83-07151. Downloaded SACD Folder

2. Copy Autoscript to USB Root

3. Plug in to 105. (I tried both front and back USB same result)

4. Change IP address on sacd_extract.cmd105 Screen show USB IN . No tray pop out.

I try to double click on sacd_extract.exe and cmd screen pop out for 1sec than closed.I can ping the player from cmd.

What could went wrong, this seem to be a simple steps.Any suggestion is helpful.Thanks in advance.

The USB drive that I use with my BDP-103 is set up as follows: The USB drive is bootable, not sure if that matters but probably not, and, because of that there is a LOCALE folder and autorun.ico and autorun.inf in the root. The "Autoscript" folder that you're interested in also is in the root of that drive and contains three files: AutoScript (1 KB), AutoScript.TSS (1 KB) and sacd_extract which is a 345KB file.

Immediately after powering on the unit, I insert the USB in the front panel slot and, after the "USB in" message is displayed, the tray opens. Make sure your player's auto-resume features, etc., are turned off.

• 3 months later...

With the unit off and the USB inserted in the front, when I turn the 103 on the display cycles through "home", "no disc" and then the activity light on the USB is activated and the drawer opens.

My USB has two files in the root director, autorun.ico and autorun.inf, it has a folder called "AutoScript" which has three files (AutoScript. AutoScrip.TSS and sacd_extract), a "LOCALE" folder with a bunch of junk in it, and a folder called "DROP BOX SACD EXTRACT" with an AutoScript folder (contains AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS and sacd_extract) and a folder sacd_extract containing sacd.cmd and sacd_extract.exe.

Hope this helps!

Yes those are remnants from the format process. Also, I have multiple copies of the files in several directories which are probably redundant.

Just to reconfirm, you start with your machine powered off, no disc in the player and with the USB stick in the front panel. If your stick has an activity light, do you see the stick being accessed?

I am not at home at the moment but will check later in the day.

I can confirm that my sacd_extract file is 353,550 bytes.

I can confirm that mine is FAT32. It is a 2 GB Transcend stick.

Well the file command (what I used to display the file type) may not exist in Windows. It's a Unix command and may only exist in Unix systems and their workalikes (Linux, BSDs, etc.). I remain unclear on the correct size of the sacd_extract file though. Mine is 352,550, and you guys now seem to have two different sizes, 353,550 and 352,550. Of course, then there's the question as to whether or not it matters...

The thumb drive that I'm using is a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer.

My original post regarding file size was incorrect. My file is 352,550 bytes.

Where are you located? As a last resort, maybe someone (me for instance) could build a working thumb drive and get it to you for testing on your machine.

I'm in Austin, Tx. That is awfully kind of you, but I really hate to put folks out. This really doesn't seem like it should be that hard. I do wish that if it is actually trying and failing that it (the 103) would put something up in the display about the failure...sigh...

I understand. The offer's out there in case you'd like to try.

Given that it isn't exactly an endorsed feature, I really wouldn't expect that. ;)

Maybe I should get into the business of selling USB thumb drives that are ready to go for this task on eBay. Anyone think I could get rich on that? Seriously though, if anyone is truly stumped on how to get it to work, I'd be happy to do a few as long as the cost of the thumb drive and shipping is taken care of. Assuming all goes well, the time involved should be pretty trivial.

Absolutely! Be creative in the use of glowing adjectives, say that it also can butter toast in it's non-ripping moments, and make sure the drive is plated with "unobtanium"! I bet you would see quite a few :) Just kidding.