IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Replied to get notified when more details are ready...

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

Ok my first pass didn't work, but every instruction I read is every so slightly different...

So how many folders and FILES need to be on the USB drive. Can someone specify the exact folder and file names? One person says you only need one folder, another says you need two folders...then another instruction says copy the folder with two files...the download folder of AutoScript has THREE files AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS and sacd_extract_160

Are all these files needed? My drawer on my 105 opens when inserted but I cannot telnet to the IP nor can I connect when I run the extractor (I have a PS3 so I am familiar with the concepts).

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

Ok my first pass didn't work, but every instruction I read is every so slightly different...

So how many folders and FILES need to be on the USB drive. Can someone specify the exact folder and file names? One person says you only need one folder, another says you need two folders...then another instruction says copy the folder with two files...the download folder of AutoScript has THREE files AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS and sacd_extract_160

Are all these files needed? My drawer on my 105 opens when inserted but I cannot telnet to the IP nor can I connect when I run the extractor (I have a PS3 so I am familiar with the concepts).

I just re-downloaded the original files posted in this forum (all three in one folder AutoScript has THREE files AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS and sacd_extract) then used the GUI interface Sonore APPS - ISO2DSD and it is ripping! No more PS3!!!

Oh and I turned off autoplay and auto resume...might have been a deal breaker...no idea

So what is the least expensive device that can be readily purchased second hand that works? I am trying to price out my used PS3 on the secondary market :)

Hikmer, I misread your question. You are not looking for a PS3 but have a PS3 and want to know what to sell it for. Even if it will rip an SACD, as a buyer, I would be more interested in a modern low cost player simply because the PS3 runs very hot and has a history of failure.

I understand your point, I just want to offer my PS3 at a good price if there is someone looking for a good bargain and also want to play hacked games (the other reason for the PS3 but I don't use it for this). Also, it doesn't appear any of these pioneers are available from US retailers, correct? So it is still somewhat of a hassle to buy one...albeit buying international online isn't difficult but can be a challenge for some.

I see Amazon sells for $199.00 + $56.80 shipping

+ $0.00 estimated tax

So If I were to offer my PS3 for like $150 that's still a deal

• 6 months later...
Page 6, post # 127 contains the Mac instructions. Especially what you need to do to use the Sonore program.

i also had success with disabling auto start and playback options. Never got letters across the screen but the GUI app for extracting the files is the way to go on windows

• 1 month later...

I stream from my Synology NAS DS176+II with the built in DNLA Music Server...it will stream the DSF files to my player (both the 105 and Sonica).  I don't hear any clicks...but there is a small gap but it doesn't bug me as much as most the folks posting on this site.

Not completely off topic, but do folks see different file sizes using different tools to rip an SACD?  The ISOs from my old PS3 don't match the same file size as from my Oppo...I thought they should be identical.  The ISOs and the DSF files are not exactly the same size when ripped form different players.

If that is the case, then what is the best way to verify that a ISO or DSF file is the same mastering as another?  For instance I have two ISOs of the same album but want to verify if they are different masters.

I suppose my fallback hack is to rip to FLAC then compare DR in foobar2000 as well?

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

Embarrassing enough, I only have two albums I want to rip (Other SACDs I have either there are some being ripped and shared on the internet or I bought the digital DSD version)

I know there is a SACD ripping service, but that's in US. Please do share if you know any SACD ripping service based in UK. :)

The amount of effort and time spent to rip only two SACDs using this method is absurdly high all things considered. 

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

My 80FD was $229 new from Amazon.  The Oppo 103s are now going for about $400+ used, and $1000+ new.

Some say SACD is dead.  I say it's very much alive in the classical catalog, particularly Japanese releases, which have been single layered for the last several years.  This is a subject for another thread, but one does have to balance the expenditure here with the life of the format.  I can live with some minor anomolies in reading hybrids (hybrid releases fewer and farther between for me as a classical collector) with the prospect of spending hundreds on a player I wouldn't otherwise want.

I think I my buy one just to have around for the future.  At some point I will want to sell my Oppo 105 but not having a way to rip SACDs is a deal breaker...rather find a used 103D if possible but to expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, KVDB010 said:

Thanks to this great forum, I just finished ripping my first SACD disc using a Pioneer BDP-160 that I could grab from eBay recently.

@HiRezGuy
I followed your protocol for the Pioneer BDP-80FD (page 78) and it worked also flawless on my 160 at first try. Thanks!

The ripping was done via WiFi, but it took 1 hr for completion (3.5 GB). 

In order to speed it up I am considering to couple the 160 directly to my laptop or using an ethernet cable to the router. For the last option, one or more 10m (30ft) cables would have to run queer through my apartment.
I would therefore prefer a direct coupling with a laptop, if possible, but how should they communicate?

BTW ripping normally takes 20-40 minutes depending on SACD so you may not get "much" faster or had a disk that was longer and thus took more time...try a few before going to any great lengths.

1 minute ago, andy1249 said:

Ripping of SACD happens at approx 2mb/s to start with , inner disc , and approx 6-8mb/s at the end , outer disc.

It is highly unlikely that switching to hard wire will be any faster than wi-fi.

Some stereo only discs contain anything from 900MB to 1.5GB and take about 20 mins , some surround titles have 3.5GB approx and will take the best part of an hour to rip.

That's my experience too...there isn't any way to speed this up.  Also if you are ripping to DSD instead of ISO then it may take longer too...not sure cause I don't do that.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

I kept a list of 'the correct models' in my phone for years, checking local ebay, cash converters ... then I got an Oppo 105 & then one day Ted put this thread up ...!

I sold my PS3 the day I first ripped an SACD from my Oppo 105.  Was happy to get $160 for that thing.