IGNORED

Have you done a backup recently?

13 hours ago, Musicophile said:

By the way, CCC was just upgraded to v5. I just wonder if there's a real added value in the upgrade. Is anybody getting it?

I'll definitely get it. The upgrade price is a joke compared to audiophile products and the developer provides tremendous value. I'll be glad to support further development of the software. Also, even though there's some support for APFS in CCC 4, only CCC 5 will be able to make a bootable backup to an APFS-formatted volume which I may want to do at some point.

• 8 months later...
On 8/26/2017 at 12:21 PM, Musicophile said:

That's a good point. I'll probably spend the 20 bucks upgrade fee. 

I just got an update notification saying that extensive APFS Snapshot support has been added to CCC 5 as part of the latest 5.1.1 update, which is pretty freaking awesome. If anyone hasn't upgraded yet, now might be the perfect time. 

• Added support for creating a snapshot on an APFS-formatted source at the beginning of the backup task. This snapshot is then mounted and used as the source for copying files. By using a read-only volume as the source, we avoid rare, but potential conflicts that can occur during the backup task if files are modified while being copied.

• New

CCC's SafetyNet feature is now built on top of APFS snapshots when the destination is an APFS volume and snapshot support is enabled for that volume.

• New

CCC will create a snapshot on APFS destination volumes at the end of a backup task to establish a point-in-time restore point.

• New

CCC offers a highly-tunable snapshot retention policy that allows you to define how long snapshots will be retained (hourly, daily, weekly), and also allows you to define a minimum amount of free space to retain on the volume.

• New

CCC's Disk Center offers detailed insight into the snapshots that CCC and Time Machine have created on your APFS volumes. Quickly see how much space those snapshots are consuming, and delete one or many snapshots with the press of a button.