IGNORED

Have you done a backup recently?

Hi,

I store all my music on my NAS (Freenas), on which I have installed Crashplan. I have a family license (10 computers), so the NAS and all the family computers are backed-up all the time. Every computer has a backup in both the cloud and on the NAS. The NAS is backuped in the cloud for the data part (no backup of the backups ;-) )

The initial upload of the NAS to the cloud took 3 weeks (was away for 2 weeks).

Now I just check my weekly email from freenas to see if everything has been backup recently.

Hi Gregory - I use Amazon Cloud Drive for unlimited storage space at $60 per year. I really wish FreeNAS had a plugin for this. I'd love to use FreeNAS, but without automatic backup to Amazon, I'm not sure it's worth it.

I choose FreeNAS for the ZFS filesystem, but that's another debate. A backup to Amazon cloud would be great, I agree. A new version of Freenas (version 10) is expected soon, betas are out already, and should bring new extensions with Docker. Maybe then new backups solution will be available.

I checked out Crashplan. It's fairly inexpensive. But, I noticed Crashplan is causing issues with FreeNAS and the company is saying people won't be allowed to backup to its cloud from FreeNAS.

It's a pain in the neck to install on Freenas: the native plugin is not maintained so you have to install a virtual machine to run a Linux that run Crashplan...

But my initial choice for Crashplan was to have a simple solution to backup my parent's and sibling's computer. The 10 license family is $160/yr I think. Once installed it runs smoothly on Windows/Mac/Linux. Then I dealt with the hard setup for Freenas :-)

I plan to hook up my 4tb drive to her computer there. Be calculator suggested it would take just shy of five days. (Won't run it a full upload speed... not sure the uni would be too happy if I brought their speeds down to dial-up...)

It sounds like a good plan. Stay under the radar by running late night and weekends only. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I created a Freenas jail (called 'util'), mounted my music files in the jail, and run a nightly script in cron to upload any changes to my ripped files to Amazon Drive. I use rclone, there is a freebsd port so it all runs very smoothly (and automatically).

Does Amazon Drive has files history?

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have a fire and water proof NAS box.  That used to be all I did.  Now my Brother and I have identical boxes and share space on each others for our own off site backups.

Hi AudioDoctor,

What system/software do you use to do this synchronization?

• 3 years later...