IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 1 & Stage 2 Preamp Upgrades: Reviews Anyone?

Hi Guys. I've read the three reviews I could find on the original STP-SE Pre, but I am unable to find any reviews on the upgrades. Of particular interest is the Stage 2 'Full Monty' ;-). Anyone pointing me it the right direction(s) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kerry

Hi Guys. I've read the three reviews I could find on the original STP-SE Pre, but I am unable to find any reviews on the upgrades. Of particular interest is the Stage 2 'Full Monty' ;-). Anyone pointing me it the right direction(s) would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be interested in this, too, mostly from the perspective of whether the Stage 2 upgrade is worth the money, or if it's more cost-effective just to get a better preamp. So I guess that comes down to whether there's a preamp that's clearly better than a Stage 2-upgraded STP-SE for somewhere around $2,750-$3,000 (cost of the upgrade + approx. resale value of the stock STP-SE).

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Thanks

Kerry

I can enthusiastically endorse the Stage 2 upgrade having had it performed on my Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE shortly after it became available. The stock preamp is excellent; the upgrade made it even more so.

The best characterization I can provide, without having you hear it, is that source material is rendered with higher levels of immediacy and transparency.

Highly recommended.

• 9 months later...

Any additional comments / impressions from owners of the W4S STP-SE who either upgraded or purchased new recently?

Other recommendations on a stereo pre-amp that 'play' in the same area in terms of features, pricing, and of course performance?

Thanks.