IGNORED

Focusrite REDNet

I hope to start listening to the REDNet this weekend and will provide some initial thoughts between the two devices. I also have a Mutec MC-3 USB+ that I can use as a reclocker. Should be fun.

#subscribe #cantwaittoreadthis

To those who are running (or might soon run) Dante Virtual Sound Card under Windows, be aware that DVS can be active for either WDM or ASIO, not both simultaneously. I learned that tonight trying a Focusrite AM2. I literally have to go to the DVS applet and stop WDM then start ASIO, or vice versa. Every USB, Firewire, and PCI interface I've ever tried (RME, M-Audio, TC, etc.) always makes both WDM and ASIO available. And of course OSX Core Audio doesn't have this issue. If anyone here has a contact at Audinate, it might be useful to find out if this DVS constraint is going to be permanent or not.

How dies the AM2 perform?

short version: my use case is different than a normal home playback system, I am trying out this AM2 for an easily carried portable sound device using Dante Virtual Soundcard with an iFi iPower PS, instead of an RME Babyface or similar. Headphone jack is 5 ohms btw, so for those who follow the 8x rule, that means minimum 40 ohm headphones. I definitely hear layers and details I cannot hear with the Babyface. No question. That said, I would not consider this a "high end" audiophile or studio DAC equivalent, it doesn't sound like my Bryston BDA-1 in my main system, nor a Lavry DAC for example, or anything like that. It's clear, non-spectacular, neutral, not-hyped, reliable, stable, and basically perfect for it's $400USD intended use (studio extension listening). Also keep in mind:

**Sample rates must be set manually in Dante Controller because right now the AM2 (a Rednet device) cannot Sample Rate Follow Dante Virtual Soundcard. There's some belief that Focusrite is going to release a fix/patch in a few months that will allow a Rednet device to do Sample Rate Follow of DVS.

**For Windows users like myself, DVS is available by manually setting ASIO or WDM, not both. So you can't be using your computer listening with Foobar or Roon using ASIO, then quickly open a browser tab and check Soundcloud, Youtube, or Netflix. I have no idea if Audinate will ever change this, so it makes Dante for primary audio on a multi-use Windows PC not really viable. I really hope they change DVS to load ASIO and WDM simultaneously.

Overall the Rednet AM2 works amazingly well and sounds better than any other portable/recording/DJ audio interface I've heard (USB, Firewire, even ExpressCard PCI). Audio over IP is very impressive, and DVS seems very stable.

As long as I'm asking questions:

1. Should the Dante Virtual Soundcard show up as a Windows playback device? Mine doesn't.

2. Is there any setting I should enable to make sure I'm outputting from the D16 via my AES output?

What else might be keeping me from outputting sound from my D16 to my system?

Joel

@joelha scroll up to see my comments about Dante Virtual Soundcard on Windows; ASIO or WDM but not both.

Someone over at Headfi claims they've been able to do a workaround with a virtual audio cable solution.

We really need someone at Audinate to empathize with the need for simultaneous existence of WDM and ASIO devices. Note that I asked Focusrite if their rednet PCIE card would allow both and answer is no - in fact the card is ASIO only according to Focusrite.

@joelha

I have a simpler Rednet AM2 device, but the setup should be roughly the same. Just to get this working, can you try Roon to a single audio device -- which is Dante Virtual Soundcard (ASIO). Just see if that works, forget HQ player for the moment. Feel free to review the below.

rednet setup.png

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, mourip said:

Is anyone who is using a Dante/Rednet based system also using a streaming service like Tidal or Quboz? If so, how did you get it to work using the DVS software network card? 

I use JRMC to play my downloads and rips but would love to be able to try a wider variety of music.

@mourip set DVS for WDM instead of ASIO,  go into Tidal settings and set the output for Exclusive & Force Volume.  that’ll effectively be Wasapi.  Use remote desktop to control Tidal.