IGNORED

A new DAC being released

FYI:

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/site/74030/117839/shopping/shopping-view.html?pid=396494&b_id=&find_groupid=18157

This is an interesting release. It will include 32 bit Sabre DAC chip, exemplar review:

http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/?p=1268

Now I know many will say it's not the value of the component parts, but how they all work together. Still, this is an interesting release.

Jonathan[br]-------------------[br]Still finding my way, but soaking it all up like a sponge!

Thanks for the info, I have been waiting for one (fully assembled ESS 32 bit DAC). The website shows optional USB 24/192 but no info on the USB implementation. The addional cost on the USB is $300.

It also shows automatic oversampling to 500kHz??

mP

This is definitely an interesting release. From what I can gather, Wyred 4 Sound is, as noted above, an off-shoot of Cullen Circuits. And I've actually spoken with Rick. They have some very neat products. Their choice for the chip is particularly interesting to me, as it is the top of the line chip from ESS. I do wonder, though, how they intend to implement the oversampling. Candidly, that would be a concern to me. Not sure I agree with this, but would want to see how it is ultimately implemented. As for the USB input, everything I know - which is nothing - has me believing it's not feasible to pull that type of resolution - 24/196. So I really do question how they intend to accomplish that. I'm also curious as to how they intend to implement the I2S HDMI input (PS Audio has this), and what they see as being the transport. I have seen elsewhere where they were asked about firewire, and it does not appear to be in their plans. My guess is the USB is likely a secondary concern, and their current focus is on the transports via coax and optical. I think I'll e-mail Rick and ask him to chime in. FWIW, they've been great to deal with in my recent purchases.

Jonathan[br]-------------------[br]Still finding my way, but soaking it all up like a sponge!

Without starting any discussion on the merits (or otherwise) of i2s connection, I'd like to point out that it's not an i2s HDMI input (however the website might phrase it) ... it's an i2s input using HDMI cables and connectors. HDMI is a standard for video and audio transmission and has nothing to do with this (or PS Audio) DAC. While the cable and connect are part of the standard, i2s is NOT and therefore to call the connection an i2s HDMI input is incorrect.

It's like saying that an i2s connection made using Cat5 cable and RG45 connectors is an i2s Ethernet connection.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Regarding the upsampling in the ESS chips: I am pretty sure the ESS chips feature an onboard asynchronous sample rate converter, and that the ASRC is used to re-clock the incoming data. At least that is what I remember from the last time I looked at the ESS data sheet. The ESS chips are kind of an all in one chip, featuring an onboard SPDIF receiver (in addition to I2S, and DSD as well), on board ASRC and PLL, and onboard I to V conversion for voltage output. The on board ASRC is likely how these chips achieve such good jitter rejection specs. It is also likely possible that one can bypass the onboard ASRC on the ESS chip, But I do not know exactly how W4S has implemented the ESS chip in their design. I too will be interested in hearing the details on this DAC from W4S.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

E,

Thanks for the clarification. I find it interesting that if a cat 5 or 6 could be used that they are not being used.

B,

I sent an email to w4s and suggested the chime in. I hope they do.

Out of curiosity, isn't McIntosh using the same chip?