IGNORED

In A+ DSD over PCM standard 1.0

Jamesroy

In A+ what is the meaning of DSD over PCM standard 1.0 I'm on a macBook Pro my setup:

WD usb2 2TB external HD Only Music aiff’s on it

MacBook Pro 2013 8GB RAM 256 internal Flash drive usb3

AudirvanaPlus_2.4

Regen

ifi DAC nano latest driver iFiHDUSBAudio_dfuapp5.1A.sh

MusicLink Transparent Interface cables

Reference B&K 200.2 S2 Power amp 225W RMS

Parasound 2100 Classic Preamp

Paradigm 100 S series speakers

Thanks

PS I had to revert back to Yosemite because in El Capitan A+ was crashing but even with the very latest upgrade to A+ I'm all getting double and triple songs in some albums.

DoP (DSD over PCM) is a method of getting native DSD bitstreaming to a DAC that doesn't use custom ASIO (raw DSD) drivers (oversimplified). No PCM conversion is taking place. There have been a couple versions (1.0 and 1.1 to name two) and use the one that works. :)

Here is TMI:

DoP open Standard | DSD-Guide.com

In A+ what is the meaning of DSD over PCM standard 1.0

With your iFi nano iDSD, I think you want "DSD over PCM standard 1.1". IAC, that's what works for me with the same DAC.

—David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Yes, it's why I called it TMI (too much information). Basically, DoP is/was a panacea for dac manufacturers to not have to create custom ASIO drivers to play back native DSD. It is debatable whether the packing and unpacking of the DSD data carries sonic baggage; I personally think it does but can't prove it. The Linux world is beginning to support raw DSD with its ALSA spec (oversimplified), so maybe it will trickle over to OSX. Not sure what Windows will do, but there are many (including ifi I believe) who play back raw via custom Windows ASIO drivers.

The other downside of DoP is that it requires very high PCM rates to carry DSD128+, and I'm not sure if rates like DSD512 will be possible without going raw/direct.

Yes, it's why I called it TMI (too much information). Basically, DoP is/was a panacea for dac manufacturers to not have to create custom ASIO drivers to play back native DSD. It is debatable whether the packing and unpacking of the DSD data carries sonic baggage; I personally think it does but can't prove it. The Linux world is beginning to support raw DSD with its ALSA spec (oversimplified), so maybe it will trickle over to OSX. Not sure what Windows will do, but there are many (including ifi I believe) who play back raw via custom Windows ASIO drivers.

The other downside of DoP is that it requires very high PCM rates to carry DSD128+, and I'm not sure if rates like DSD512 will be possible without going raw/direct.

Yes Thanks I changed it to 1.1 sounds better now I need to resolve duplicates in some folders.