IGNORED

SBooster Vbus Isolator locking up computer?

So I recently purchased and attempted to use the Sbooster Vbus isolator and I started having problems with my laptop freezing up.

My desktop system:

JRiver 21 version 21.0.66 > Supra USB > UpTone Audio USB Regen > Hard adapter > PS Audio PerfectWave II 2.4.3 > Discovery Plus 4 XLR > Parasound Halo > AudioTruth Argent SC > KEF LS50 + HSU STF-1 Sub x 2.

When my computer freezes, I have to either End Process’s via Task Manager or do a hard shut down, and most recently, I will get a blue screen and it will reboot itself.

I was also blowing the fuses in my PS Audio PerfectWave DAC. From my understanding, my DAC doesn’t need the 5 volts to operate but whenever I take the SBooster out of the chain everything works normally with no locking up or freezes.

My laptop is Windows 7, (SSD for operating system and 2TB HDD for data and music files), with all MS updates, and I'm using Kaspersky AV if that makes any difference.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any input.

"If you don't dig the blues you got a hole in your soul" - Albert King

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to follow up in case anyone else may have experienced any issues with the Sbooster Vbus isolator.

I have been running without the Vbus isolator for about ten days without any locking up and have since emailed Sbooster regarding this issue. Wiebren Draaijer with Sbooster has been very responsive and helpful by sending me the newer red Vbus isolator to replace my black one with the idea it may have been defective. This arrived yesterday and everything seemed to work, but after less than 24 hours my computer froze up again just like I described in my original post.

This is so odd because as in this reply from Wiebren, nothing should affect it like it does.

The strangest thing is, that the Uptone Regen does not use the 5V power at all and this 5V is floating. With the Vbus isolator we simply disconnect this polluted 5V immediately after the USB port of the PC, so the pollution cannot radiate into the data stream. From a technical point of view nothing changes in your setup with or without the Vbus.

As mentioned in my previous email and confirmed from your side the connection is: windows PC > Vbus > USB cable > Regen > hard adapter > DAC.

So I think I will skip this particular tweak unless I determine what is at fault.

Hi Blueshound24,

You may be interested with this link: Prevent Windows from Turning Off USB Devices

It happened to me some years ago (not exactly the same, but I could not reactivate the peripheral). Since the Vbus isolator cuts the not required 5V and Windows may not validate correctly, the signal is not restored.

The provided link will tell you where and how to prevent Windows from turning off USB devices.

You may also be interested in this article: USB Selective Suspend - Turn On or Off - Windows 7 Help Forums

It allows you to prevent selective suspension to USB ports...

Hope this helps,

Alain

Hi Blueshound24,

You may be interested with this link: Prevent Windows from Turning Off USB Devices

It happened to me some years ago (not exactly the same, but I could not reactivate the peripheral). Since the Vbus isolator cuts the not required 5V and Windows may not validate correctly, the signal is not restored.

The provided link will tell you where and how to prevent Windows from turning off USB devices.

You may also be interested in this article: USB Selective Suspend - Turn On or Off - Windows 7 Help Forums

It allows you to prevent selective suspension to USB ports...

Hope this helps,

Thanks, I'll take a look at your links.