IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

12 hours ago, Ron Ippolito said:

I recently bought my SMS-200, so upgrading to v5 will be the first time I'm going through the process.

I've got a few questions that I hope some of you good people can help me with...

• I have a mac, and downloaded the v5 image (sMS-200_20201123-V0.5.0.img) per the SOTM documentation.  The downloaded .img file is 8.07 GBytes.  Is this file in the final format that I'm going to write to the microSD card, or does it require additional decompression?
    • If it does require additional decompression, what tool must I use (eg, 7-zip)?
  • How should I format the microSD card - FAT32 or exFAT?
  • The instructions said to use ddUtility to write the image to the microSD card.  Any gotchas I should be made aware of?
  • After this is done, is the process as simple as doing an orderly shutdown of the SMS-200, removing the existing card, inserting the new one, and powering up?
  • Last question...will I have to re-install all my settings, or will they be preserved across the upgrade?

Thank you, in advance, for any help you can give me...

Ron

• They download to .img now so good to go. Older instructions note a decompression step not needed anymore so far. 
  • I use sandisk cards as is. 
  • The thing I’d note on Mac is you get an error message after ddUtility is done I think because Mac can no longer read it after loaded. You can’t really eject it normally so just pull the card and proceed
  • Yep that’s it
  • As was noted you have to reset things when re-imaging and I was reminded that includes returning IP address to static setting and possibly renaming it back to what it was. OTA have been working a lot better last 4-5 including this one for me; sometimes it pauses on say 30% for longer than the others but that’s been known to happen for some so just be patient. 
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
8 hours ago, Tannoymike said:

You don't need a link just remove the micro sd card and check on say a windows computer and you can see that the card is virtually full, I think this maybe a reason for some of the failures that occur with the new firmwares. I had many attempts to install these latest firmwares and all failed Having seen that the micro sd card was full I just swapped in another card 32gb and all went well first time using a manual installation from a direct download. I think SOTM should have warned us that this was a potential problem.

By direct download you mean burn an image on a card right?

• 4 weeks later...

@WAM I have a SSD connected to mine, so maybe I am not the best person to say, but if your NAS was connected to a router, and you were willing to use something other than Audirvana (if you had to I don't even know, it has an app I think but don't know if macbook must be running), I think you'd be able to have the macbook in sleep mode once started.  I am in a small room so, using MPD and Soundirok, I put my mac mini to sleep after started up and it's a nice way to run things.

Otherwise I think you'd connect as you describe, start DNLA, then you'd see the sms-200 as an option in Audirvana.