IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

16 hours ago, ClothEars said:

I have done extensive SD Card testing and found the Silicon Power Gaming card to be the best. They present a bigger sound stage and greater depth with excellent detail.  I was actually surprised that they could make such a difference but they do. 

SDGamingCard.jpg.7ac2b9d717897c2373daea19b3b71a77.jpg

I'm both surprised and not that there's a difference - have you managed to establish what causes the difference; is it capacity or speed perhaps?

Thanks

Andy

4 minutes ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

I have tested about 6 brands with different specifications because certain specifications are not available from certain brands.  The experiments lasted about more than a years so far, and difference among different ones are quite significant in some cases, in regarding the resolution, soundstage, and richness in sound.  Will looking into this one.  

Any obvious correlations you have noticed e.g. capacity better, speed better, brand better?

I'm very interested to try, but there are sooooo many! 

Thanks

Andy

That’s really interesting, thank you

I’ll check out the prices and do some experimenting myself 

I did a lot of Audio PC customisation years ago, so I know that changes like this do impact the sonic outcome 

I’ve been looking for my next ‘tinker’ topic and I think this could be it! 😃

regards

Andy 

You seem to have found higher speed cards sound better, as a general rule? 

Considering (my layman’s understanding of..) the CPU speed reduction option in the recent firmware update - we can reduce the MHz, but it means the processors respond quicker from idle I.e. the overall processing speed is increased (I think) 

Following that logic, a fast SD card should be able to respond faster to system and signal demands as well 

regards

Andy

I just swapped out a ScanDisk Extreme Plus 32gb V30 for the same spec/size 'Integral' version.  Everything set the same in Eunhasu, Amp at the same volume etc  

Initial notes I made while listening:  more forward - soundstage less deep, a bit thicker/fuller sounding, bass a bit bloomy, more sibilance 

Not better, but definitely Different!  That was good news since it meant there was something to this... 

Then I realised that I was on the old Kernel.  Hmmm.   An age later (I think running the CPU at 144MHz makes it even slower?)  I had the new Kernel, beta disabled and everything reset 

Listened to the Integral SD - better...   swapped back to the ScanDisk SD - no obvious difference

I certainly have not given up on this experiment.  I have a crappy SD 16gb card that was included in a give-away dash cam that I will try later in the week - what I'm interested in is the 'proof of concept' (in my system, to my ears, with my music) and AFAIC, swapping identically spec'd SD's is not a fair test.  If I do hear any significant difference, I'll buy in the SP Game card - but finding one the same in GB is proving difficult (I'll contact SP to see if they brand the same card differently in EU)

On the positive side (for now) the new firmware/kernel update has proven its value i.e. less forward - soundstage deeper, a bit less thick/full sounding, bass less bloomy, less sibilance - definitely Better! 😁

Regards

Andy

… don’t forget…

as well as firmware 5.51, you need to update the Kernel to xx.211 (although it now seems to be xx.212) plus set the CPU speed to 312MHz (+/- depending on what’s stable on your system, Roon is fine down to 144 on mine but the GUI is veeeeeerry sloooooow)

Some prefer 100 vs 1000 Ethernet,  IPV6 off etc etc 

Thanks, I think it’d already moved on to 212 when I updated the other day 

But I didn’t notice any problems with 5.51/211; Roon into ‘200 Ultra Neo at 144MHz - other than the GUI is very slow

Plus on mine the CPU speed option has gone ie. I’m presumably stuck on 144 unless I reflash to reset the firmware 

it sounds fine tho’ so I’m ok with that

regards

Andy

I think I have one or two things to change to get the cards to equal status - I think the kernel has ticked up to 212 and I need to get them all on 144mhz 

if there’s still no obvious change (+ve or -ve), I’m reluctant to go for the Delkin cards as they’re expensive here (The SP Game cards shown above are not available in GB)

Still, the firmware/kernel upgrade has been worthwhile and it’s been an interesting experiment 🤓👍

I made sure my two cards, (both 32gb V30 one SP the other Kingston) were on v5.51  xx.212 and set to 144mhz (they weren’t matched previously) 

I swapped them back and forth several times (what a faff 🙄) each getting 5 listens to the same reference tracks

the SP card was slightly better! 😮

The difference is soundstage; it’s more constrained with the Kingston and it opens up with the SP - it’s not night and day, but definitely preferable with the SP

I’ll double check later, but if the findings remain the same I’ll be happy to try the more expensive Delkin card 

Hi Gerardo, 

I have no idea! 😄

I tried a few SD cards before - nothing.  But I thought I should get a cheap (I wasn't prepared to more than a few quid on this) but equivalent card to hear if there was 'any' difference (MSMEMM my system, my ears, my music etc etc) 

Then I made sure everything was 'equal' between the two same spec cards i.e. same firmware (5.51), Kernel (xx.212), CPU speed (144), IPV6 Off etc etc (BTW that is how I got the 144 option in Settings)

Listened to one, the other etc. etc. 

I have the external clock, so getting the card back is a PITA as the clock's BNC connector is right above the slot, but, despite this - and me thinking 'Hmmm, not entirely sure I'm hearing anything here...'  I swapped them several times, 4 for each over almost two hours 

I have confirmation bias.  So I know that I have to repeat experiments several times to get past that effect.  But there it was; the SP card has a better soundstage 😮  I have no idea why - but that's what I hear

I have some Focal Diablo Utopia speakers that are scalpel-like on detail, 1mm of movement on their stands affects the soundstage - I heard a different soundstage 

I'm going to give it another good listen now - if it's still there - Great!  I'll be buying the Delkin card, if it isn't, I will reply and confess I was swept up by the hysteria! 😁

Regards

Andy

Oh, I've got Roon which is doing upsampling,  Tidal Hi Res and local SSD in Nucleus.  I have fibre into the SOtM switch, the SMS200 UN goes into the SOtM USB, all three timed by the external SOtM clock, all four with separate SPS 500s  They feed into Lyngdorf 3400/2200 active system with the Focals and some Lyngdorf W210 bass speakers and custom 4x10 (so 6x 10" drivers per channel)  

Sounds good, very revealing 😀

One of the OPs on this topic has already given a comparison of their cards - specifically, speed doesn’t seem to be the main driver

I don’t think anyone knows what/why or if there’s any correlation.  In fact there’s fully understandable scepticism about this, since some say the card doesn’t do anything once the 200 has booted 

in short, who knows 🤷🏻‍♀️

I bought my SP card (which has better soundstage (MSMEMM) than my similarly spec’d Kingston) for £7/€8/$10 delivered 

I enjoyed the tweaking experimentation and for that money, to get any positive result at all is an astonishing bargain 😀

Very cool indeed!  You’re a serious tweaker/modder - I read your system notes 😎👍

I bought my first SOtM in 2019, and quickly slid down the adding stuff slope 😀

I’ve also got their network switch with its own SPS-500 underneath those shown above

I recently tried the fibre link from an adapter (which was previously used just as a 1m fibre loop for galvanic isolation.  Upstream from that is a Paul Pang modded switch to my ISP hub and Roon Nucleus - all that, and separately the main rig, all have dedicated mains right back to the electricity meter (fully screened of course 🤓

I’ve found the fibre to be slightly more focussed for the centre image (vs Cat7) but I need to go some more comparative listening 

all good fun