IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

Last version information

Version : V0.4.6 
- Date : 17-06-2019 
- Added Ethernet auto negotiation selection feature 
- Added a new feature that prevent installing and uninstalling the apps if Eunhasu server is not ready 
- Upgraded ROON Ready to the version no. 1.1.36 
- Upgraded Squeezelite to the version no. 1.9.0.1157 
- Upgraded Logitech Media Server to the version no. 7.9.2-git1559745322 
- Improved the upgrade system 
- Enabled read and write feature on external USB disks via network share folder 
40 minutes ago, octaviars said:

Did the upgrade to 0.4.6 today, some problem at first and had to re-burn my SD card and still some problems with the upgrade in Eunhasu. Switched from Firefox to Chrome and Everything went very fast and Eunhasu is much faster. I am starting to belive that Firefox and SOtM/Eunhasu is a bad thing as I have had problems downloading firmwares from SOtM with Firefox. 

Can you please share the link where you found the download for the 4.6 as I can only find the upgrade link..... Thanks 

Someone had a very good result using chrome, including my self. It's such a shame the sd card download for fresh install isn't available yet as there's nothing better than a good format and a fresh install.......... To me it always works best.... 

24 minutes ago, tedwoods said:

4.6 sounds really good. Actually, it sounds "what just happened?" good, with a great mid kick that makes everything come alive.

However, neither HQPlayer  nor Roon upsampling work with 100BASE-T in my set-up.

I think you may need more buffer I use.     . 40

I'm using roon on Windows 10 via Cisco Catalyst 2960 Router at 100T with out any problems at all and with incredible sounds quality...... The Cisco Catalyst 2960 is a great alternative to the new Sotm Router at least 99% on sound quality...... At about £50 second hand from ebay..... New they where about £700......

2 hours ago, PnL said:

I connect my SOTM directly to a computer (Windows 10) without routers and switches and I have the same problem with Roon - "an audio file is loading slowly" Only if I set the speed in the settings of the network card of PC to force 100T everything works smoothly. Or you have to go back to the 1000T in the settings of the cell.

These are my settings with 30 Meter of cat6 between windows 10 PC, Cisco Catalyst 2960 Router and SMS 200 ... Not one single hiccup 

System config.JPG

Roon settings.JPG

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is driving me insane. Different sound quality streaming from Roon updates.  

My system Windows enterprise running Roon only i7 pc

End point via Cat 6 Sms-200 ultra/Meridian director DAC &LPS Sbooster

Up to Roon 1.7 (Build 536) all sounded good

Roon 1.7 (Build 537) sounded slightly muffled with reduced high frequency 

Roon 1.7 (Build 555) sound excellent again.

Roon 1.7 (Build 571) sounds the same as (Build 537) slightly muffled with reduced high frequency.

Anyone here experiencing the same problems?

I’m going to scrap Roon altogether and try to set up (Eunhasu Music Player) for my media collection on a nas and tidal. Any one kindly enough to explain to me how I can achieve this on my SMS-200?

19 minutes ago, 5-pot-fan said:

Hi,

If I understand correctly I think you will need:-

a music(data) server;

a music (data) store;

a device+software to control the server;

a network to connect the server to your sms200+DAC.

You probably know all this, but I put it in for clarity!

I use :

a Raspberry Pi4 running piCoreplayer 6 as my server;

a 2Tb hard disk in a mains-powered caddy as my store - this connects to the Rpi4 via USB;

a laptop (but mobile would work) running a web browser, and also foobar2000, as the controller.

The Rpi4 connects to the rest of the network, including the sms200, via Cat5 and a simple switch.

Picoreplayer on the Rpi4 includes Logitech Media Server (LMS), which I access via the browser. LMS sees the copy of Squeezelite that I run on the sms200, and also sees the music store (which is configured as NTFS and is seen by the server over SMB).

Foobar on the laptop also sees the sms200 when that is running MPD/DLNA, and sees the music store as a mapped network drive. I use foobar/MPD to see/hear any differences with Squeezelite, and also because it makes me update the tags on the music!

This setup also gives me access to my Sonos.

The costs were pretty low - £50 for the rpi4 + case, £30 for the hard disk caddy - the hard drive was effectively free - £20/£30 for some 16gb cards for the Rpi4.

This setup will not do all that Roon does, and may not provide the quality that some versions of Roon have given you, but it is very stable, and not expensive to trial.

The overall music quality is OK to me, and is probably limited by my listening room and my ears, so although I will continue to make small changes it would need a large dollop of cash to get much improvement.

HTH to answer part of your query.

Thank you so much for giving me such a great detailed instructions. I'll do my best to follow them and test the system in that way.... 

Someone is also going to give me instructions how to implement MPD with a USB attached 3Tb hard drive in a caddy to hold my library.  Then control it using an app called "Soundirok".

So I should try both and compere 

I also have USB hard drive at hand & also Synology Nas..... 

Many thanks once again for the trouble. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 6:21 PM, stefano_mbp said:

@MGX-UK Lumin app can be installed on a smartphone or tablet.

It is a control point.

You need this configuration (for the best experience)

- SOtM sms200 with MPD & DLNA service enabled

- nas or network shared music archive

- Upnp server installed on the nas (MinimServer, Asset, ..., MinimServer the best from my point of view)

- Bubbleupnpserver installed on the same nas or somewhere available on the network

- Lumin app installed on iPad/iPhone (best) or Android device

Thank Stefano..... Have you seen this? 

https://www.whathifi.com/news/tidal-connect-one-touch-casting-of-hi-res-and-dolby-atmos-music

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 11:38 AM, andy nicholson said:

5c worth here; In case anyone finds it useful: I had similar issues with my sms200ultra Neo. Tried several different SD cards, none of which made a noticeable difference, and I almost gave up on the product.

However, since coming across it by chance, (and feeling I had nothing to loose) I have had real success with using a 32GB SanDisk MAX ENDURANCE SDHC (memory card for dashcams). SanDisk states they are:

"Designed with long-lasting endurance so you can record and re-record for up to 120,000 hours (over 13 years).

Built for and tested in harsh conditions; temperature-proof, waterproof, shockproof and X-ray-proof."

I seriously doubted it would make a difference, but I have now had a card in place for five months without further issues (at most two or three crashes, instead of two or three per day) and have updated firmware a couple of times.

I have tested sd cards until the cows came home! The faster they operate is the best experience you'll get. My favourite is the Lexar Professional 1800x microSDXC 16G. I also found that you don't want to go bigger than this size. 

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
28 minutes ago, Philippe Bill said:

did you modify the browser (F5, sleep, aso ..) during the upgrade?

Before I started I reburned a fresh 5.1 sd card. Inserted in sms200 and never changed any settings . 

In my PC settings I turned power settings to never sleep including the monitor. I never touched my PC until it finished. Set your PC like this before you start please look at the photo.  

It took 3 hours ...

Hope this works for you  

Sotm settings.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I always used 16Gb Sd cards. I always buy the latest and the fastest cards. Not sure if this makes any difference but if it can read faster, I suppose its a good thing?  However the latest firmware needs a bit of a brush up. We shouldn't have any problems at this price level of equipment. I'm sure someone is working on 5.3 which should just be a clean up...... 

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...