IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

Just now, PnL said:

After update to 4.58 I have problem with RoonReady - cant play music and see message about mistake with speed of content. Will return to 4.57. Whats wrong?

Same problem here; bad sq and stuttering at roon rock. Playing timebabout 15 min.Before that it was amazing.

7 hours ago, ronfint said:

Very interesting. I had the same problem with. 4.58, and I also have an sotm modded switch. I’m now back on 4.57 (which, by the way, is great). But what does this say about the 100BASE-T setting on 4.57?

Ive got the sotm switch as well. Eunhasu is already playin in 1000t mode.i will try to switch it back..

2 hours ago, marc b said:

I agree that you should not always use the latest software on this device. I was still on the 4.22 because any newer version did not work in my configuration because (as far as I understand) the new Kernel version with Fedora release 27 was unable to recognise WiFi dongles that worked before. I even bought a new WiFi dongle to try and make it work, but to no avail. So yes: they brought out a new software verion that did not work in all cases, and I happened to be one of them. Several new software versions came and they still did not work over here in my place in the Netherlands. But they keep giving it effort to finally make it work if you reported your problem , apperently. So there are disandvantages in working that way. But, as said by Confused, we can work around it by always keeping a SD card with an older version that did work on your system. 

That is inconvenient, yes. I always have to unplug my SOtM gear and place it near my router so I can connect it by ethernet cable and then do the update or place an old sd card back in. Only then I can make the settings for WiFi and I can place it back in my system again to reinstall the Qobuz plugin and some other settings. I also always lose my favorites in Squeezelite, so up front I also have to enter them in Qobuz itself. A pain in the a##, but I apreciate the sound enough to take the effort every time :)

Well done M ive got the same problems in the Netherlands although the dealer en distributer is sublime and the sound is faboulous..Perhaps the Kernel is the recent issue; i will try another NUC to experiment with this issue..

5 hours ago, Confused said:

To be frank, I guess it allows SOtM to provide more rapid, and cheaper, development.  Essentially they are using their customers as Beta testers.  This is a lot faster and cheaper than performing extensive in house testing, especially considering the vast range of associated kit and options that the end users have available.  There is some evidence of this when you consider that 4.58 was never offered as an Eunhasu update, only something on the SOtM documents page, to be downloaded and burned as an image, something most users would not bother to do.  (although 4.59 is available in Eunhasu, I have to admit)

One trick for those frustrated by this, simply ignore any new updates for at least a month.  After a month, anything buggy should have been removed or replaced anyway, the versions that survive a month should be ok.

Its advised to always switch with a good working sd card. Take a least  a 16gb card . In that case its always possible to go back to a good working exemplary.

7 hours ago, Jean Plum said:

I dropped £2k on SOtM kit a year ago ?

Would I do so today ? Nope. Marketing disaster.

On  the bright side you never get that brilliant sounding product for a price like this.and its still innovation to a Class A performance and its growing ever since. most products are what you pay is what you get..

On teh dark side theres are Beta influences and you gotta live with that..

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, deanorthk said:

as the price point is quite the same (so so), I am hesitation between the SMS200 ultra neo and a intel NUC, as a roon endpoint, anyone has made a comparison?

De best way if you can effordit is to chooce for both; De Nuc for Roon and the Sms200ultra as an end point. The nuc alone is a badbidea unless you use is for temporary purpuse. The only way to let the nuc sound is to connect him with the tx usb ultra but thats about the same price and the sms 200. Ultra is the better opion..

7 hours ago, PnL said:

These are not interchangeable things in context of use with Roon. I think you need NUC i7 (for roon server) + SOtM SMS-200 (or Ultra for roon brige) for best solution. Read documentation on roon site.

Exactly as i posted before; the only difference is that the nuc can play but not in the highest levels unless you add an endpoint like the sotm200ultra Neo 9or the cheaper sms200neo)

10 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

As the owner of an i7 nuc with Audio-Linux and an SMS 200 ultra neo, I disagree.  Don't even get me started on the software for the SMS-200 series...

I know the SoTM software isn’t always the easy way but once it works you get the best SQ and value for money. Set the nuc on the sotm and you have a great combination..

1 hour ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

I tried as you mentioned, its not comparable.  Strictly speaking it makes no real sense, but it performs better and never glitches... isnt what you want in the end?  SotM software wasnt even stable at 44.1/16 for me.

I’m sorry to hear that. That’s certainly not the case for me..but i can’t deny issues sometimes by some updates..But stability isn’t the problem in most cases compared to the number off sales..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mitch, de sps 500 is ,, as it said a switched power supply. Instead of a liniar power supply. Nothing wrong with that coz it sounds great. If you have no wallwart power you have almost certaintly a 12v input on your sotm sms200ultra. Are you sure you use the right voltage?? Check you original box..

Hi Mitch; perhaps you already treid this but anyway ill state it.  Please try first to switch your nuc out. Then switch your sms200 out ( watchout only on the front and wait for 2 minutes. The put on the Nuc and wait for 2 minutes before switch youre sms 200 on the front. Again wait for 2 minutes...If this doesnt work try with power on a reset on the back of the sms200 and wait for 5 minutes..Problaby your sorrow will be over..

• 1 month later...