IGNORED

Bluesound Node 2

I'm contemplating a Powernode system where the "final destination" of all my components is the Powernode.

I'm curious if any Bluesound Node or Powernode users have tried using the mini optical input to integrate other devices?

Also, is the volume control easily accessible from the device, or do you have to use the mobile app?

Bluesound Node 2-->LFD LE Mk V-->HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer (via high-level inputs)-->Harbeth P3ESR

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I attended the LA Audio Show, I went to the Bluesound/NAD room to listen to some MQA for the first time.  Impressed, I asked the rep about using the Node 2 as a the main DAC for my system.  He sort of shrugged and said "it's a pretty good $200 DAC, but the DACs in the NAD amps are better."  He went on to suggest buying a NAD integrated with a Bluesound card.   I ignored his advice, and I'm happy I did (the DAC in the Node 2 sounds great to me), but I'm sure there is room for improvement.  Perhaps Bluesound with release a Node 3 (2+ ?) with dual mono DACs, for example.  By then, there will probably be MQA 2 (doesn't exist, but it will!) and Tidal Ultra (I made that up, too) and god knows what else.  I'm glad I spent only $500 on my DAC/streamer.  It will be worthless in 5 years and I'll gladly spend $500 again for an upgraded one.

Bluesound Node 2-->LFD LE Mk V-->HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer (via high-level inputs)-->Harbeth P3ESR

• 8 months later...

Just upgraded the player, Mac OS, and iOS.  Big improvements!  A longstanding problem I experienced with MQA files dropping out while the optical input was in use is solved.  Also, the Mac OS version is a complete redesign and seems much more stable.  Note on Mac OS update:  the application name changed (BlueOs Controller vs. BlueOS), so you need to delete your old dock shortcut and create a new one.

• 3 months later...

I've owned the Bluesound Node 2 for a year now, and I highly recommend it.  I went through a period of unhappiness due to some software bugs (which I have posted about), but a software update in April solved most of them.  Although the Mac OS X app is still a little buggy (doesn't refresh correctly when the music changes and "favorites" don't work), these are minor annoyances given I use the iOS app most of the time.   And really, the software (the OS X version included) is quite nice.

Generally, I'm convinced that the DAC/Streamer is the right combination of technologies, because I'll want to upgrade both every three years or so to keep up with the  latest DAC chips and file compatibilities, and everything else (amplification/speakers/volume control) remains current a lot longer.

In terms of sound quality, it is very good, but not excellent.  Manhattans (which I have heard) and Lumins (which unfortunately I have not), with their dual mono dacs and beefy power supplies are surely an upgrade, but for me, the price to upgrade to those devices now is not worth it given that I will naturally upgrade in two years or so to another device in the Node price range.

Another factor that draws me to the Node is that it doesn't try to do too much.  For example, there's no fancy attenuator.  My integrated has that, and I think it will serve my purposes.   I hope the Node's relatively minimalist form factor endures, and that even better sounding Node-like devices compatible with the latest technologies are available for long time.

• 2 months later...