IGNORED

Sonos Connect output: converting lossy to .wav for digital output?

Hi All,

A family member, savvy but new to computer audio, has a Sonos Connect. He also has a Schiit Bifrost DAC which decodes only .wav files up to 24/192 max, but no DSD or lossy formats. I expect the Sonos lacks the ability to convert MP3s or AACs to WAV format to transmit via its SPDIF output. Can anyone think of a way to enable conversion of the lossy streaming files to .wav? This would let him listen to all through the Bifrost. Of course he could put a computer in front of the Sonos, but that would complicate his life a lot. Thank you!

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

You're confusing a few things. It is correct to say the Schiit Bifrost doesn't play DSD, but it's not correct to say it plays WAV.

WAV is a file format for storing PCM encoded "music" (data). What is output by the computer (or Sonos) is a stream of PCM data. Equally when you play back MP3 or AAC (or FLAC) is PCM - it's the job of the computer player (or Sonos) to decode the file into a stream of PCM data.

So no worries, his Sonos will play any PCM format - be it WAV, AIFF, FLAC, Apple Lossless (ALAC), AAC, MP3, OGG or any of the other encoding methods. What he couldn't play back (as you rightly said) is any DSD encoded music - these are stored as either DSF or DFF files.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

+1

A DAC doesn't magically gain the ability to decode and play music files, just because its being fronted by a streamer instead of a computer.

The confusion is quite a common one and it doesn't help when some manufacturers refer to their network audio file streaming devices as mere network 'bridges' for DACs. Yes, a streamer like the Sonos does have a main function to decode and play audio files, just as a software music file player (eg JRiver Media Center) on a computer does. Hence the reason why a streamer can be used as a substitute for a computer running a music file player application.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thank you Eloise and Cebolla! Eloise, as usual you gave a full and helpful description of the process. What I should have said was, "is there any device short of a computer that would transcode mp3 to 16/44 pcm, so that not only Tidal Hifi (lossless) but other, lossy streaming sources could be played in a chain with the Bifrost?" Because the Bifrost will not decode mp3s or other lossy formats. And my cousin cannot remotely change his source, his preamp is a McIntosh C712. Sigh, I asked him to check with me first before buying a streamer... I can't blame Sonos, they finally stepped up to make a device with a digital output. I'll encourage him to try out Tidal Hifi; not sure how big their lossless library is the same as their mp3-encoded library.

Schiit answered one question with:

"The Bifrost doesn’t decode any files, that’s what the computer or player does. The S/PDIF stream will get decoded as long as it’s 2 channel PCM under 24/192.

Nick T

Schiit Tech"

Even though mp3 is a file type, there is some form that is streamed via spdif, and the Bifrost can't read it.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Sam

All I can read into this is more or less what you mentioned in your first post, with echoes of our replies to that post from Schit's response to your question. So it's precisely as Eloise has already described, the Bitfrost DAC has nothing to do with any music files nor their decoding process and the Sonos Connect's function is to always decode the files to the PCM digital audio signal needed by the DAC, regardless of the files being lossy or lossless. The Connect's S/PDIF outputs only carry 2 channel PCM up to a maximum of 16bit/48kHz (according to its spec), so will within what's required by the Bitfrost.

Are you certain that it's only mp3 or other lossy files streaming by the Connect that's resulting in the S/PDIF connection not functioning?

Have you tried getting the Connect to stream lossless files to see if the S/PDIF connection behaves in the same way?

What I'm trying to get across here is, have you checked to make sure it's not a 'straight forward' hardware problem, eg faulty connecting cable, misbehaving S/PDIF ports, etc?

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

...So it's precisely as Eloise has already described, the Bitfrost DAC has nothing to do with any music files nor their decoding process and the Sonos Connect's function is to always decode the files to the PCM digital audio signal needed by the DAC, regardless of the files being lossy or lossless.

Are you certain that it's only mp3 or other lossy files streaming by the Connect that's resulting in the S/PDIF connection not functioning?

Have you tried getting the Connect to stream lossless files to see if the S/PDIF connection behaves in the same way?...

Thank you John. I had very little time with the unit; I was rushing just to get the Bifrost running and warm to do speaker and sub repositioning and setup (very successful :) ). I'm visiting and I use a wheelchair. I'm staying in his level-entry basement, but his system's on the main floor with many internal and a few external stairs.

You and Eloise have solved my problem. Rather, non-problem. I spend so little time with mp3s or AACs that I've never even considered DAC conversion and streaming methods for lossy formats. And I got sidetracked by misinformation: I didn't think the Sonos would convert mp3s to lossless PCM streams because I had just read that SPDIF had a specific protocol for transmitting mp3 data: it doesn't. Also, as an HQPlayer user, I'm used to the idea of incompatibility between much high-end gear and lossy formats like AAC and MP3. I did try the Sonos briefly hooked up via spdif to the Bifrost and it didn't lock, so I figured the problem was incompatibility. Now I see it must have been something else. I'll fix it then in my next round tomorrow. Thanks again for helping me sort this out!

Success! Thanks again Eloise and John, the Bifrost is playing everything that Sonos sends it. My pea brain fels almost as large as a small bean. :)