IGNORED

Afi+USB-Module - USB-Interface, Isolator and Re-Clocker

Thank you Mr. Koschnicke for the reply.

I don't understand how a light to an electrical interface can be anything other than an optocoupler even if it has an RF connection or similar, but will accept a lifetime warranty for the FO connections of the afi system.

While I have your ear, could there be more detail on your website to assess the afi.

Understand the photos are coming next week, will be keen to view them.

With there being no photos of the equipment, just a shadow outline and a schematic of how components are connected, makes a decision to even consider the afi a difficult proposition.

Specifications ? Where are?

What are the optical connectors, the cabling type needs to be known in advance, might even have the correct ones in use.

A simple photo would provide this information, or a link to manual in German or English, preferably both.

A photo would asses the quality of the build of the case, after all this equipment will be in people's lounge rooms, not necessarily in a studio/workshop.

As far as RF is concerned, a low pass filter works very well, since the energy from RF sources with compliance to Class B EMC at least is well known and controllable. The lower order frequencies from 100kHz are harder to work with, since they are close to being coupled to the DAC. Generally, depends also, on the level/implementation of galvanic isolation to divorce the source to the load of course.

The highest criticism though ends up at the RJ45 output for a DAC connection. Even in the pro circles, AES3 XLR or a cinch jack are still in existence, is the afi isolator that small as to only provide an RJ45? There's then another cable to buy, and the collection of favourite XLR cables is not used. Is the RJ45 connector the shielded type? what are the pinouts?

Far as I know, there's RJ45 to XLR adapters, like a snake, but why bother with these, when the standard XLRF will work fine? Many audiophiles would not welcome the RJ45.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Hi One and a Half,

Here you are (probably still a prototype at this stage, but gives an idea of the construction) : aktives-hoeren.de • Thema anzeigen - Acousence afi(s) und afi(s) USB

I will leave up to Ralf to answer on the connections. Just a precision : the RJ-45 Ralf uses is just a way of transporting signal with lower interference and echo on the cable itself compared to AES/EBU cable. It just needs a small adapter at the end of the cable to get the appropriate connection to AES/EBU or BNC. Price for the adapter is minimal (25 EUR if not mistaken). You can also order the output cable with the appropriate connection ; it will be shipped with an RJ-45 connection to the device and an AES-EBU connection to your DAC.

Thanks Swissbear for the link on the photo. If I'm not mistaken there doesn't seem to be a LED for DSD, PCM rates exclusively are represented. Now that's a show stopper right there.

Echo on an AES cable : Not heard of this concept, the echo would have to be symmetrical to pass the balanced connection, I don't think echo could be that good, perhaps reflection is that the term? 100m ...yes, but not 0.2m something. Would need to see a graph/scope pictures to be convinced.

The FO connector is not an STP, these are everywhere, various lengths with bandwidth to the stratosphere. Far too proprietary and closed shop.

The separate PSU is a good idea, it has a Switching AC-DC, from there a linear supply?

Tapping fingers on the desk here. Let's wait and see.

Do you still have the Afi isolator?

When I buy an audio product, it needs to last, 10 years, then 20 years +. Part of this assessment is, does it cater for the next few years ahead, and won't fall off the earth.

For the Afi USB, the optical connector is new to me, and that raises an alarm in that should the afi move somewhere else, there's a special cable to buy. Is there an assurance that the brand will stay around until that time to supply a longer cable. If the optical cable were a series of SBC/LC/FT similar, it's not a problem as these are readily available.

I can use a soldering iron, but fitting off an optical cable requires (a week of) training, and the correct tools.

To FredM, the musical enjoyment is short lived if in the back of the mind, one day this thing will stop and all over a cable connection. There's no cover over the optical cable either, so a short tug on a sharp corner (and cables *will* always find this), the cable is ruined.

Accidents can happen, cannot rule them out.

While I can read German, don't frequent them all that often, the site linked in the thread is enthusiastic like with most all new product and I have no real objection and don't want to spoil any enjoyment for the readers or participants.

Realistically though, there signs that put me at unease about the construction and presentation of this product, so would not rush too quickly to depart with over EUR1200. This doesn't mean to say anything adverse about the concept, however, which I find quite innovative.