IGNORED

Running Eac or Dbpoweramp on a mac

Just wondering if any of the other mac users are running these programs to rip their music. I'm relatively new to macs and I have not tried to run any windows based programs on them.

Thanks

~kurt

Mojo Audio Mac Mini- 2.6GHz i7 quad-core Mac Mini, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Internal Filter Module, Joule 3 power supply. Rogue Audio M180s. Revel F 52s. REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter. Bel Canto Dac 3.5 with VBS power supply. Rel Gibraltar G1. All Sain Line Systems cabling. Etc.... Etc... Etc.... Lol

Kurt,

Let's see what Chris says in his soon-to-be-posted ripping article. He may broach this subject. I only have one Windows license (for my work laptop) so I've never tried this on my music server.

Still experimenting with XLD while waiting,

clay

Kurt,

I typically only use EAC for ripping on my Mac's at home. I'll use dbpoweramp from time to time as well. I use bootcamp on a MacbookPro with external USB drive (the popular TEAC 224SL), and it all works very smoothly. the one tip I'd suggest is to use a utility program called MacDrive which allows you to read/write to your OSX partition from in windows so you can rip plenty of CD's at once saving to your main OSX partition (without being limited to, at least in my case, a small Windows partition). I also like to rip to the internal SSD and do it off of battery power, but that's getting into the controversial :) So bottom line, it's quite easy, but only do it if you think you're getting noticeable improvement in sound quality over XLD using AccurateRip.

dbpoweramp runs pretty well under crossover from code weavers on my os x.

but all software may have timing problems when running under a windows emulation - so don't use it for ripping. conversion task are done perfectly.

because of the issues with ripping i replaced it lately by xld.

frank

Just double checking on when this is coming out?

Thanks for putting that together by the way!

Mojo Audio Mac Mini- 2.6GHz i7 quad-core Mac Mini, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Internal Filter Module, Joule 3 power supply. Rogue Audio M180s. Revel F 52s. REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter. Bel Canto Dac 3.5 with VBS power supply. Rel Gibraltar G1. All Sain Line Systems cabling. Etc.... Etc... Etc.... Lol

There are many tweaks beyond drive and ripping software that various users claim have an improvement on the sound quality of Rips (I've experienced a few), and look forward to hearing Chris' perspective in his article.

Here are another few ideas recently posted on positive feedback.... these definitely don't fall into the inexpensive "try 'em out" category...

"Getting Top Performance From Your Digital Media"

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue45/acoustic_revive.htm