IGNORED

Microsoft updates?

Windows 10 is great to use, but the auto-updates are a worry. I got presented with my niece's laptop last week because an update had rendered her on-board sound-card inoperative and she needed it for her Japanese class at school. After all the usual fiddling with drivers, re-installing the card and various "fixes" from online forums, all to no avail, I ended up loaning her my spare Dragonfly DAC to get her out of trouble. To be continued...........
The mandatory auto-update requirement is a major reason that I am extremely reluctant to upgrade to Win 10. I very much prefer to select what updates I install, especially since many so called "important" updates are irrelevant to my installation. Critical security updates are another matter.

You are a good uncle. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

You can easily disable automatic Windows 10 updates with the free program ShutUp10, which also allows you to address any privacy related concerns. Highly recommended!
Good to know. Thanks for posting the link.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron