IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

The M2 SSD we tested had a significantly worse sound than a SATA SSD, powered by a LPS. It would be very difficult to separately power a M2 SSD

Is using an LPS powered SATA SSD more important for the OS drive or for the drive with the music files?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 2 months later...

I don't see anything wrong with offering the ability to customize an audio product with a continuous stream of new options.

I'm currently assembling components to build a new Windows 10 desktop machine. I have to pick a CPU, motherboard, power supply, memory, cooler, graphics card, SSD, display and case. Each component has many brands and models with different features to consider. New products get introduced throughout my component selection process. I end up assembling a machine in which I have a great deal of confidence because I've carefully evaluated each component, and I can keep it current with modular upgrades.

The alternative is to simply buy a preconfigured machine from someone who has made all those decisions for me. I prefer to participate in the design decisions. You certainly don't have anyone offering 100% trade in value for your old components. That's a fantastic deal.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

• 9 months later...
4 minutes ago, EdmontonCanuck said:

Perhaps something can be worked out with the Canadian dealer I bought it from, but I'm not sure what's in it for them exactly.

Deleted.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sbenyo said:

I do want to get recommendations on the best cost/effective usb chain as I hear from many it can be significantly improved.

I would very strongly recommend an ISO REGEN powered by an LPS-1 (both products from Uptone Audio).  I think you will be thrilled.  

59 minutes ago, sbenyo said:

It's not a cheap option.

The LPS-1 is not a requirement, it's an enhancement.  I suggested the combination because you save $50 if you buy the the ISO REGEN and LPS-1 together.  You can get the ISO REGEN with a Mean Well SMPS for $325 and get a linear power supply later.  Also, Uptone offers a 30-day money back satisfaction guarantee.  

Have a look at the ISO REGEN listening impressions thread for user feedback.  A lot of people are really excited about this device.

I have no financial interest in Uptone.  I'm just a satisfied user who is happy to recommend their products.

19 minutes ago, sbenyo said:

From what I understand it will probably improve sound quality for uRendo and SOTM but may not be significant or even minor for the ultra versions which already include the same hi-end capabilities.

I can't test it myself but this is what I could understand from people's experiences. If it does have significant improvement even with hi-end server that's even better and makes it easier to decide to go for it.

Tests of ISO REGEN with SOtM ultra products have already been done.  Have a look at https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-the-sms-200-and-microrendu/?do=findComment&comment=692858

7 minutes ago, sbenyo said:

It is also very interesting that I can buy DAC costing between $500-$4000 but at the end I need $2000-3000 extra dollars to get the best out of it. This is multiple the amount invested in the DAC iteself!

You don't need to spend that much to significantly improve your USB chain and sound quality unless you get kind of obsessive about it.  I think you arrived at the right conclusion in your previous post.

If you look at the ISO REGEN listening impressions thread, you will discover that even people with very expensive DACs are impressed with it.

We should let this thread focus on the DAC8 DSD.  I am not going to post anything further regarding USB devices here.

On 7/7/2017 at 9:51 AM, sbenyo said:

I first want to try HQPlayer trail but after installing it says it expired.

On 7/7/2017 at 4:10 PM, sbenyo said:

I am not familiar with Roon.

I really think you need to figure out what software you want to use first and whether DSD512 is important to you.  If you decide against using HQPlayer/NAA or Roon, the case for a network renderer like microRendu or sMS-200ultra becomes somewhat less compelling and this will simplify your decision.

Note that to play DSD512 with a Linux network renderer, the T+A DAC8 DSD is going to need a firmware update which isn't even available yet.  

Until you make these kind of decisions, the number of potential solutions is kind of overwhelming ... and I could add several more to the list, like the ICRON Ranger 2301GE-LAN.

The software you choose will influence your system architecture, and then you can make an appropriate choice of add-on device.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

Lampizator also reports that they are testing working firmware versions for their Amanero USB.  They are saying that they have 2 versions... one which does DSD512 with Linux but only DSD256 with Windows, and one that does DSD512 on Windows but only DSD128 on Linux.

Does anyone understand why to get DSD512 on Linux we have to be satisfied with only DSD256 on Windows?

• 5 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, musicbuff said:

But it looks like you have to know how to do some programming to take advantage and that is way out of my league.

No programming required, just enable CUDA offload in HQPlayer.

• 5 months later...

What is a V2 ISO REGEN and what is different from the original?

21 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

Andru: Question re AO you may be able to answer.  For those of us who have optimized a PC for use with HQPlayer, but who also do other work on that PC (in my case including digital photography, but also regular email, web, etc.) are there portions of AO that can be implemented to optimize sound quality without limiting the computer's use for other purposes?  If so, how would you know which aspects only affect sound, versus which otherwise limit non-audio capabilities?

I have a similar situation and I just dual boot ... one instance of Windows 10 Pro with AO and one instance without.  When running the AO instance, I can certainly do things like email and browse the web, although I guess it's best for sound quality to not have that non-audio workload running concurrently.  

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, Em2016 said:

At the same time, I wonder if T+A regret not using an XMOS USB interface instead?

Good question.  Does anyone understand why a DAC manufacturer would pick Amanero vs XMOS for their design?

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Miska said:

If you have Win10 for Workstations you also get profile called "Ultimate Performance" which gives even better figures.

You can enable Ultimate Performance on Windows 10 Version 1803.  Thanks for reminding me about this.  I haven't tried it yet.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/107613-add-remove-ultimate-performance-power-plan-windows-10-a.html