IGNORED

Add-on linear power supply for Auraliti PK100?

Hi everyone,

I'm the very happy and satisfied owner of an Auraliti PK100, which I am running into a Rega DAC, which feeds into a Decware Torii Mk3, then onto Green Mountain Audio Eos HD speakers. The sound is fantastic! However, after exchanging a few e-mails with Ray, I found that Auraliti is now offering a specially designed linear power supply for the PK100, which he says will transform its sound, so I am wondering if things could be even better (this is a dangerous hobby/obsession!). I am curious if anyone on the forum has tried said power supply. Its price is a bit steep ($399), so I'd love to hear some users' opinions as to whether it's worth the investment.

Thanks so much,

Chris

Hi everyone,

Here is the info Ray provided to me about the linear power supply, in case that helps anyone to form an opinion of what magnitude improvement using this would bring, as opposed to the $5 laptop power supply that came with the PK100.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions/opinions!

Chris

Linear Power Supply Features include:

1) Ultra high isolation power transformer with non-overlapping primary and secondary.

2) Input filter technology removes high frequency noise that otherwise could pass through the circuitry.

3) Low noise integrated linear regulator. Fully protected against short circuit and overload. Very high isolation between input and output.

4) Low coupling between power and regulated output, less than 50 pF.

5) Fully double isolated circuitry to get the maximum isolation from input to output.

Every aspect of the supply was designed to optimize the performance of the attached player. It prevents power line noise from getting into the player and isolates any noise generated by the digital circuits from going back into the power and affecting other components. The extreme isolation from input to output prevents noise loops through the audio connecting cables, the biggest source of audio degradation in digital audio systems.

Hi Norton,

I apologize if my post appeared to be an advertisement for Ray's products. That was certainly not my intent.

I have no affiliation with Auraliti or Ray; I am simply trying to determine whether the cost (which to me seems quite substantial) of the add-on power supply offered for the PK100 is likely to make an improvement to the sound of the PK100, and thought that posting the info Ray sent me might help someone on this forum to better be able to provide me with assistance making a decision on whether or not this would be a good use of the money.

I understand that noise is the nemesis of anything digital, but noise in my system and throughout my house have already been extensively addressed with Alan Maher's products, so I really have no idea whether adding a special power supply would make things sound significantly better.

My apologies again if my intentions did not come across correctly.

Chris

You said you were already happy with your sound and that you've done extensive noise reduction elsewhere, I would think it unlikely you will hear much (if any) improvement but I don't have your ears. Can you negotiate a 30 day trial? If they have confidence in their sales pitch then can't see why that'd be an issue.

Hi Possum,

Thanks for your feedback; that was my suspicion as well, having already reduced the noise floor in my system to almost nothing via other means. That's a great idea about the trial, though! Most companies these days offer at least a couple of weeks to hear the item in your own home/system. I'll do some reading on the Auraliti website and see if they say anything about that. If there's a trial period, I guess I'd have nothing to lose by giving it a listen :-)

Thanks so much again,

Chris