IGNORED

Does brand and/or model of router matter?

Both my wife and I work from home. We have several computers connected to our home network for work, plus several different ones for home use. I have a bunch of other devices connected from DirecTV, smart phones, tablets, printers, etc etc. I'm not network savvy so in deciding to go with the upcoming MicroRendu and a NAS style server I have an inclination to buy a separate router just to connect the two thereby eliminating any conflicts or other network traffic. I won't be listening to any online music so no need for the new router to constantly be connected to my residential gateway. To get to my point, are there preferred brands, models, or specs for a router when it comes to an audiophile system?

Here is a quick but great read on how to get the best out of your multipurpose home network:

Computer Audiophile - Network Audio Refresher

I went this direction in late 2014 upgrading from a typical cable router and noticed a definite increase in speed across the network.

My network:

Verizon FiOS Access Point -----> Netgate APU4 FSense Router/Firewall -----> Cisco SG200-18 Switch ----> Hardwires to Computers, Wireless Access, etc.

Connected to the switch are two Apple Airport Extremes; One handles only my non-wired digital music appliances and the other handles all the laptop, iPhone, etc. devices in the house.

The APU4 is not available anymore; I think the replacement is the SG-2220; You have to become a bit of a techie to get the thing running and configured, but I think most everyone on this site has those tendencies anyway :)

Hope this helps!

JM

Nearfield Desk System: PC with JRiver MC > Sonore microRendu > Schiit Gungnir USB DAC > 6AH4 Linestage > 6CB5A Amp  >Dave's Cables > Omega Super 3 Desktop Speakers on 1-3/4" Maple Butcher Block Table

My "Living Room" System: Sony HAP-Z1ES Player, 2 Pass Labs XA60.5 (Mids/Lows), Pass Labs XA30.5 Amp (Highs), First Watt B4 & B5 Crossovers, Nuforce MCP-18 Preamp, Oppo BDP-103D Video Player, Parasound 275v2 Amp (Center), Parasound 275v2 Amp (SL, SR) Paradigm 90P Full Range Speakers with Powered Subwoofers, Paradigm CC Center Channel, Paradigm Mini Monitor Surrounds, Sony KDL46XBR9 Monitor

Here is a quick but great read on how to get the best out of your multipurpose home network:

Computer Audiophile - Network Audio Refresher

I went this direction in late 2014 upgrading from a typical cable router and noticed a definite increase in speed across the network.

My network:

Verizon FiOS Access Point -----> Netgate APU4 FSense Router/Firewall -----> Cisco SG200-18 Switch ----> Hardwires to Computers, Wireless Access, etc.

Connected to the switch are two Apple Airport Extremes; One handles only my non-wired digital music appliances and the other handles all the laptop, iPhone, etc. devices in the house.

The APU4 is not available anymore; I think the replacement is the SG-2220; You have to become a bit of a techie to get the thing running and configured, but I think most everyone on this site has those tendencies anyway :)

Hope this helps!

JM

Thanks for the great info. Can you share a little more as to why a router like the SG-2220 or the APU4 is better than a more residential style router?