IGNORED

Any noticable download differences in internet delivery sources?

A vague question, I know. What I'm wondering is, has anyone observed a sonic download difference with different routers, modems, or even cables to the telephone pole or internet providers?

I ask because, in all the other realms of audio, every upstream factor is under scutiny. Some have noticed differences in sound when the apartment building was empty during the work day. Others have even had a separate power line run to the pole to avoid electric grunge from their own house. What about internet downloading? Any observations?

Download differences in internet delivery sources. This I do not know and have no experience.

But download and DVD-ROM, yes. I remember buying the download of a quartet album from Unipheye and then paid for the DVD-ROM. There were small differences.

I surmise that downloads are chopped into packets and then re-constructed at the delivery end. That may be the cause of the differences.

Digital transmission and digital copying does not change data. If no transmission errors, it's 100% exact copy. That's why we are moving to digital technology.

You can see differences in sound quality in different downloads. This has nothing to do with transmission mechanisms such as router, etc. The difference is due to different formats providing different level of compressions, etc.

A DVD contains a number of files. Total capacity can exceed 8 gigabytes. This is too big for downloads. So they will normally offer heavily compressed mp4-like single files. So you may experience downgraded sound quality in downloaded files.

Digital transmission and digital copying does not change data. If no transmission errors, it's 100% exact copy. That's why we are moving to digital technology.

You can see differences in sound quality in different downloads. This has nothing to do with transmission mechanisms such as router, etc. The difference is due to different formats providing different level of compressions, etc.

A DVD contains a number of files. Total capacity can exceed 8 gigabytes. This is too big for downloads. So they will normally offer heavily compressed mp4-like single files. So you may experience downgraded sound quality in downloaded files.

Where are you sourcing your mp4 like files?

No electron left behind.