IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Ok Jesus I know I am not on the mailing list so I won't be in the initial shipments of Micro Rendu's so when can I reasonably expect to order one? I know I have been bugging you on this but I am a fan.

We will do what we can to make this as short as possible, but I don't want to make any predictions about this because a lot of things are out of our control.

OK, the online manualSONORE microRendu Manual doesn't explain about the SD whatsoever. What size and class SD is needed?

Please do not tamper with the SD because you could loose your warranty. As John stated the SD is for the operating system only. That SD card is unit specific and will not work on another device.

Just wanted to make sure that you were not planning on running a microRendu at 12V, it is only speced from 6-9V. At 12V it is going to get quite warm even with out driving a bus powered DAC. Depending on the ventilation it gets 12V could significantly shorten its lifespan.

John S.

Please power the unit with a power supply that is 6-9V at 1 AMP minimum because you could loose your warranty otherwise.

The Axpona Audio Show will mark the first appearance of a pre-production sample microRendu. The microRendu will be in Room #336 (Vinnie Rossi / Harbeth / Acoustic Signature Turntables) where it will stream directly into a LIO DSD/PCM DAC. The microRendu will be powered by a super-regulated, ultracap power supply module that Vinnie is making specifically for this purpose. He will then use the RoonReady output mode via a Macbook Air running Roon.

Show and product links:

AXPONA - Audio Expo North America

Vinnie Rossi - LIO custom modular audio component

Vinnie Rossi show schedule 2016

LIO Ideas / Suggestions / Progress thread - PART 2!

Please drop in and tell Vinnie that JR says hello.

I can't be in AXPONA, but I will be in Munich for the High End Exhibition in May. I really hope you guys can arrange a demonstration of the MicroRendu and/or Sonicorbiter SE here in Europe also.

Just 2 questions. How long does the MicroRendu take to boot? I have the Sotm sms-100 and it takes a few minutes. The Microrendu will take less, I suppose. Second one, does it have to be on all the time or can we turn it on and off at our convenience?

Simone

Shorter boot time. You can power down the unit from the GUI and/or hopefully your PS will have a switch. We are looking for a partner for EU shows, but nothing yet.

Thank you, but I know all this.

I guess my question is how would Daphile find my DAC via Squeezelite output, since the mR would be connected to the DAC?

In other words, where do I setup in the mR settings how to find the Daphile computer and how to setup Daphile to find the Squeezelite output of mR?

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I think some people use LMS already, so they may help...

On our end you put the microRendu in SqueezeLite mode. In LMS you just select the unit from the player list. I'm not sure what you need to do on the Daphile end or if it will even stream to external devices. You have to ask Daphile to clarify.

Not 100% sure, but I thought Sonore was bundling the hard adapter with the device.

We are going to supply a hard adapter. If your plan to use one for direct connection into your DAC I recommend that you support the unit from underneath to avoid damage to the unit and your DAC.

I'm not sure I'm following this. Are you saying that microRendu does not support that "native" DSD UAC2 USB transport at all? Specifically in the ALSA driver: PCM_FORMAT_DSD_U16_LE or PCM_FORMAT_DSD_U32_LE ? ... this is now part of Linux kernel.

To simply let's forget squeezebox for the moment and assume HQPlayer communicating with NAA/networkaudiod so the data comes in as DSD. It could get sent over USB as DoP or native (what you are calling ASIO but I'd like to stick to UAC2 ;)

Those formats are not the ones being used going forward for adding DSD support in linux. For information on what devices support native DSD on the Sonicorbiter SE and the microRendu use this link:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-sonicorbiter-se-native-direct-stream-digital-support-27418/

I mistyped, iFi Micro iDSD, for example, is listed as supporting PCM_FORMAT_DSD_U32_BE (not LE)...

according to: https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/blob/master/README.md

that's what I mean by "native" DSD. I was responding to:

I'm confused.

All you have to do is select the output mode from the GUI:)

If the first mR units go out without this native DSD support for the Sqeezelite output mode, would they be able to be upgraded with a firmware/driver update once you get it working? Thanks.

Yes, we would just update the one App needed to make it work. This will not be done until it can be tested and proven to work well.

Hi,

Apologies for the newbie question, and I hope it doesn't mean my audiophile membership card will be revoked (I enjoy computer tech but I enjoy music more):

Does the Sonore microRendu make my Airport Express wireless unit a better conduit for signal than the Airport Express' built in optical output > W4S Remedy > DAC > pre/amp/spkrs? Implied here is that I am using MacBook/Amarra/iTunes and ALAC/AAC as my source. (Switching to some other music source seems to be an exercise in frustration and unlikely to pass the WAF for day-to-day usability.)

I've been reading the posts, and still can't tell if the Sonore microRendu's software set up plug-n-plays with Apple's ecosystem.

Thanks for any clarifying help.

I have not tried that setup so I'll pass on making comments on it. You can place the unit in Shairport output mode which is a Airplay software emulator.

Okay, thank you for the reply. I'm glad I asked because it seemed like it might work, but it sounds like it's a crapshoot. I'd love to try it but I hope someone else has more time to work out the kinks and report on the process and results.

Thanks again!

I'm not sure how you conclude its a crapshoot or that is has kinks. Try the Sonicorbiter SE and get a feel for the capabilities of the system.

As I have mentioned before, I have a JPlay, AO, 2 computer setup with Ethernet cable connecting them directly. To get the best from this type of setup both computers need to optimized and be supplied with clean power. With the microrendu acting as an end point and the Ethernet isolating noise from your music source does an optimized music server have any effect on sound quality or can any old computer be used.

I hate to answer this question because no matter what I says someone will have a descending option. I can tell you that we are not testing it with anything more than a regular computer and or NAS acting as the server.

$8k for a power supply should be a doozy. Probably stick to an Ifi or a Uptone PS. I can buy a lot of music for 8k. ;)

Vinnie's LIO is modular and he has several input / output modules you can install. The power supply module he is creating for the microRendu is $395 USD. You can read more about it here:

LIO Ideas / Suggestions / Progress thread - PART 2!

I wonder how good that power supply is though. Perhaps the "best" for LIO owners is using the LIO but into the UpTone mystery supply.

Refer to post #1184 above;) I'm sure the Uptone Audio mystery power supply will be great, but you can't argue with the simplicity of Vinnie's approach.

We have every reason to think a PS powered by Ultracapacitors - effectively off grid - and built by Vinnie will be great. None of us even know what the Uptone "mystery" supply is yet, and you already know that it will be the "best" solution? Jumping to conclusions?

And just so you understand, I'm considering buying the "mystery" when Alex tells us what it is and the price.

I know what it is:)