IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

No. You need the Roon / RoonReady combination to stream Tidal.Jesus R

Have you considered supporting HQPlayer Embedded? Then we could stream TIDAL using BubbleUPnP.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

No. You need the Roon / RoonReady combination to stream Tidal.Jesus R

Jesus, on the micro rendu product page it says "Supports Tidal and Qobuz lossless streaming in ... DLNA output mode".

Can you please briefly explain how I'd configure things to make this work? Your earlier statement made it sound like there's no way to stream TIDAL without Roon, and I hope that's not what you meant.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

To hifial ... exaSound clearly wants owners of exaSound DACs to buy a PlayPoint. So with an exaSound DAC you are buying into their ecosystem.

I think it will cost more than the SOtM sMS-100.

• 2 weeks later...

If I run MinimServer on the Windows 10 Pro machine that hosts my music files and BubbleUPnP on an Android device as controller, do I really need something like JRiver as well for DLNA mode? I'm currently an A+ user so I'm unfamiliar with using DLNA, although I have played around a bit with setting up an Auralic Aries with its Lightning DS iPad app. I want to be able to play my local ripped WAV files and stream Qobuz.

A separate question. Since Qobuz streaming is integrated into A+, could I not also use A+ to stream Qobuz and use the shairport mode of the micro rendu?

Once I have answers to those two questions ... which approach is likely going to sound better?

Jesus, can you please try to answer my questions in post #464? Thanks!

on the ethernet side to get the best do we still need a optimized computer with the Microrendu ( linear supply , ramdisk , etc..) or a stock computer will be enough.

I agree this is an important question. A little experimentation with an Auralic Aries convinced me that the UPnP server definitely made a difference in sound quality with that renderer, but I could never figure out why.

Jesus, sorry I didn't intend to drift OT. Thanks for pointing out those comments from Chris in your post #510. I'd read his article but hadn't been following the comments section.

To clarify for Albrecht, I should have said OpenHome rather than UPnP. Any further discussion let's just use PM to keep this thread appropriately focused on the micro rendu.

Everything is on order and we are waiting for the parts to arrive. I don't even have a unit at this point because my unit is out for initial feedback from industry friends. When we are ready an email will going to out to the people that participated in the microRendu mailing list. BTW I closed the mailing list when we sent out the first update a few weeks go.

Great, I'll watch for the email. Thanks for the status update.

The µRendu, powered by my prototype, very, very special linear discrete regulated power supply, easily made my take the server out of my system!

Barrows, is this a power supply that you have designed? Is this another upcoming Sonore product in development?

Deleted.

My experiments so far have shown me that something like a MacMini with the best processor available actually appears to produce less noise than a Synology NAS, but I have not tested other NAS devices...

Barrows, you also said

"Earlier in this thread someone posted that serving the music files over Ethernet results in a compromise; the µRendu has proven to me that this claim is utter nonsense."

So, with the micro rendu, does it matter whether the music files are on a relatively noisy consumer grade NAS vs something like a Mac mini if we follow your advice in post #605?

We are seeking CE, FCC and RoHS certificates. There is no ETA on this and it's unclear how this will affect the unit's price.

So the $640 price is subject to change based on the cost of certification? Will the initial units be sold in the USA at $640 without these certificates?

I am a lousy reviewer, and Jesus has asked me not to steal the thunder of the planned professional reviews. Plus it was a pre-production piece and John was still tweaking some of the code--turning off PLLs for unused sub-systems, and also loading the code for a totally startling trick which I am not at liberty to reveal.

Alex has also said

John has done an outstanding job of separating power domains (you'll have to ask him how many there are in the microRendu), and moreover the clocking scheme and USB output sections of of the product are extraordinary (Jesus and John will reveal more about that in due time).

Jesus and John, are you going to tell us more about all this intriguing stuff sometime before the micro rendu is orderable?

I won't be offended if you delete this semi-shameless post.
I'm monitoring your own sponsored forum for the totally shameless post.

Can we say it's 'magical'? Oh, wait ... the magical stuff gets announced on Monday.

Remember irrational exuberance? That ended well.

I'm excited too, but I'd sure like more information about the design and technology before ordering. Lots of us trust the expertise and integrity of the people involved in this project, but beyond the functional description so far it's lots of nudge, nudge, wink, wink with a generous helping of say no more.

Andyman, some discussion of your concern about A+ has just recently started in the Audirvana 2.4 thread. No comments from Damien as yet, just some other guys pondering the same question.

If you are referring to the first batch, they should be shipping WAYYYY sooner than 2-3 months.

Thanks, Alex. Firedog, you and Freann gave me momentary panic attacks today. Fortunately, your comments were both misunderstandings.

If I just run minimserver on the Windows 10 PC that hosts my .wav files and BubbleUPnP on my Android device, is this sufficient to select and play albums/tracks on the micro rendu? I understand the networking requirements. I just don't know what kind of user interface this would give me in DLNA mode without something extra like JRMC for library management. Can I navigate the files and folders on my Windows 10 PC to select music to play with just minimserver and BubbleUPnP?

Another question. To stream Qobuz in DLNA output mode, do I need anything other than my subscription and BubbleUPnP?

I understand I could add BubbleUPnP Server to this in order to support OpenHome.

I'll probably add HQPlayer/NAA and possibly Roon in the future, but I'd like to start with something simple so I don't have all the learning curve up front. I'm currently using A+ so this will be a big change for me.

The µRendu sounds very, very good running as DLNA server with Minimserver/Bubble running on a NAS

Barrows, isn't the micro rendu a DLNA renderer (rather than a DLNA server)? MinimServer is the DLNA server component, right?

• 2 weeks later...
What about an eero mesh network? One eero for the microRendu that's connected via Ethernet to the microRendu.

Jason, I can't think of any unique considerations for a mesh network. I'm planning to try the same idea with a Luma (if it ever ships). Initially, I'll just connect the micro rendu to the same router my Windows 10 PC is connected to. The Windows 10 PC hosts my music files and will be running MinimServer. This is just to keep things really simple at the beginning.

Eventually to support my main audio system I'm going to need either a wireless bridge or a mesh network.

Thanks for asking about the SD card. I didn't understand what it was for either.

Chris' review unit should ship tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest.
Is Chris getting an actual production sample to review?

John, I still don't get the decision to use a micro SD for the OS rather than some nonvolatile memory. Wouldn't NVM be faster and more reliable?