IGNORED

Basic iTunes Server/Controller Setup

Forehaven

I have a G5, macbook pro, and an iTouch and want to setup a music server system, and hopefully get Amarra too.

I plan to have the G5 downstairs, controlled wirelessly, loaded with 1 "HiFi" library, and smartlists for different sampling rates, and another library to use on my 7G itouch for compressed files for mobile use. And I read this about setting up two libraries:

Multiple iTunes Libraries

Multiple iTunes libraries can easily be created. On a Mac simply hold down the Option Key (I assume Alt Key on a PC) whilst opening iTunes. A dialog box appears with an option of creating a new library. If wanting one library with uncompressed music and a second with compressed, firstly make the uncompressed one, then create a second library in which you deselect "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" (iTunes Preferences/Advanced/General). Then select your compression rate (iTunes Preferences/Advanced/Importing). Then "Add to Library" (File Menu) all the uncompressed files from the first music folder. Select all of these files once imported and then select "Convert Selection to AAC (or MP3)" (Advanced Menu). Once done, you will have duplicates of each song but the uncompressed version will still be highlighted. Select "Delete" from the Edit Menu and the uncompressed files will be deleted from the second library. Of course, be careful not to select "Move Files to the Trash" when deleting these files.

Once done you have two libraries. One compressed, one uncompressed.

Be sure to do all editing and adding of artwork before adding the compressed files to the second library. All this information will be carried over to the second library and so save time.

When opening iTunes next time, hold down the Option (Alt) key and then select "Choose Library".

Sounds easy enough, but when using Itunes on the mcp or itouch to control these two libraries on the G5, do I also have to have both libraries loaded on both devices in order to control the G5's libraries? I don't think so, as the G5 will hold a lot more data. I know this is a basic question, but I don't fully understand the interaction between the server and controlling devices like from the mcp or itouch.

(I should've gone over this aspect more thoroughly with Chris at the Symposium, but I had a bit of data overload that weekend hehe)

Thanks,

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

• 2 weeks later...

No suggestions anyone? Just have to ask one more time I promise ;)

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.