IGNORED

The $3K all in exercize.

plissken

I found out the hard way that under-power kills you when it is played at low volume.

Ok, attempted high volume, low power and inefficiency may indeed lead to death, but death by low volume? Huh? Would someone please explain. And please let me (and others who may not be be in the know) know how low to how inefficient risks death.

Chris

I think he means that power-limited SPL kills sound quality and the characteristics of presentation (eg imaging, dynamics, balance among instruments etc), not the equipment or the listener. And I agree that most equipment delivers its best well above minimum on the volume control.

So, it has nothing to do with low power and everything to do with low quality-low power. I've seen plenty of expensive, "audiophile" low power amps which I'm pretty sure don't suffer from poor sound quality at low volume levels due to low power output or cheap volume controls.

Chris

It's not necessarily the amp. A high quality low power output stage may not retain its SQ if it has to operate at rated output just to squeeze inefficient speakers hard enough to hear them. Limited (and occasionally no) headroom flattens dynamic range, and the amp's power supply can't deliver solid bass and highs at the same time.

Exactly.

Chris