IGNORED

What an Experience with Oppo Digital Repair

astrotoy

I have an older Oppo BDP-83 Nuforce Edition which has been relegated to a bedroom system, while a newer Oppo has replaced it. I found that the CD tray was broken and was deciding whether to bother to get it repaired or not (since it was over $1000 when I bought it new). Well out of warranty (and even bought from Nuforce and not Oppo), I emailed Oppo on Monday (two days ago) describing the problem. Within an hour, I got a response and an RMA number. I UPS shipped it to Oppo (which is in the Bay area like me) that afternoon (with delivery scheduled for Tuesday for the cheapest service). I got notified yesterday that it had arrived and was being worked on. This morning it arrived back, repaired, with the CD tray door replaced and the software updated. The Oppo was nicely wrapped in the Oppo cloth bag and in an Oppo shipping box. Total charge - $0, including free shipping. Time from shipment to return well under 48 hours! Amazing!

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

• 1 year later...
I have an older Oppo BDP-83 Nuforce Edition which has been relegated to a bedroom system, while a newer Oppo has replaced it. I found that the CD tray was broken and was deciding whether to bother to get it repaired or not (since it was over $1000 when I bought it new). Well out of warranty (and even bought from Nuforce and not Oppo), I emailed Oppo on Monday (two days ago) describing the problem. Within an hour, I got a response and an RMA number. I UPS shipped it to Oppo (which is in the Bay area like me) that afternoon (with delivery scheduled for Tuesday for the cheapest service). I got notified yesterday that it had arrived and was being worked on. This morning it arrived back, repaired, with the CD tray door replaced and the software updated. The Oppo was nicely wrapped in the Oppo cloth bag and in an Oppo shipping box. Total charge - $0, including free shipping. Time from shipment to return well under 48 hours! Amazing!

Larry

Great story! Literally makes me want to support Oppo.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

JJinPDX

Hi Larry,

Good to hear about OPPO's great customer service.

Currently using an older OPPO for playing blu ray/dvd movies through a JVC projector/2-Channel system.

Looking at the possibility of replacing it.

What OPPO model are you using now in your main system and how does it generally compare with your older model?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Hi Larry,

Good to hear about OPPO's great customer service.

Currently using an older OPPO for playing blu ray/dvd movies through a JVC projector/2-Channel system.

Looking at the possibility of replacing it.

What OPPO model are you using now in your main system and how does it generally compare with your older model?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Hi Carlos,

I have an Oppo BDP-95 which is now two generations old (don't remember exactly when I bought it - maybe 3-4 years ago? I use it exclusively for bluray and some DVD playing. I did a few rips playing some CD's a few years ago in analogue directly into my PM Model Two at 192/24 using the balanced outputs. But that was for a special purpose and worked out fine for what I wanted. I do have a 5.1 system and so can take advantage of the multichannel features of the 95. Never bothered to get the 105 since I just don't play enough blurays to justify. I probably will see what the new 203 or 205 has to offer. My front projector is of a similar vintage to the 95 (a Panasonic, don't remember the number, but it does have 3D capabillity - a feature I tried a couple of times). I think the 95 is better than the NuForce 83. I don't quite remember why I got it except for the balanced outputs and maybe the 3D capability. As I remember there may have been an improved video system, but I haven't used it enough to justify. What I did get for my video system which was a big improvement was a new screen, which Tim M recommended and it has some special reflective abilities to reject off axis light, so I can play in quite bright daylight without getting washed out colors.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files