IGNORED

Naim Superuniti Questions

LBob

I am in the process of simplifying my audio system (see signature for what I am using now). Basically I want to get rid of as many boxes and cables as possible while keeping the SQ as high as possible. What I am considering are some units such as the Superuniti which combine an integrated amp with a DAC. This lets me condense 3 boxes into 1. I read up on the Superuniti and I think it will fit the bill but I am not 100% sure about the connection between my Mac Mini which is a dedicated server and the Naim. Please bear in mind that I am very non-technical. I'm a music lover with a computer not the other way round.

If I read correctly there are three ways to connect:

1) Via a SP/DIF. I can do this since I still have an old SP/DIF box. Not my favorite because it's another box, but I could live with it. It would have the virtue of keeping everything else the same (e.g. I could use Audirvana+ controlled by my iPad)

2) Wirelessly. I'm not entirely sure how this works, but I believe I have everything I'd need. I have an Apple Airport Express. I seem to remember some concerns about rates exceeding 96K with the Airport. I've also seen a few reviews which suggested that there might be some problems with dropout and skipping with the wireless method. This is appealing because of its simplicity. No wires or boxes.

3) Streaming from NAS. This one I'm not sure I understand. I have all my music files on a HD connected to my Mac Mini so is that a NAS? Also not sure how the connection works with this approach (i.e. is it Ethernet or wireless or SP/DIF or any of the above). It also looked like I would need to get an app for my iPad to control the server. Is it correct that this method bypasses players (e.g. it wouldn't use Audirvana)? If so that would be a problem because I use Dirac and I won't go back to life without it.

Any info on this would be appreciated. I don't want to ask my dealer for a demo of a unit that won't fit my needs.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

Bob ... the usual way of using the SuperUniti is to use it as a UPnP renderer (streamer) - option 3 in your list. With this you run a UPnP server (I would recommend MinimServer though alternatives such as Asset, Twonky and Serviio exist as alternatives) on your MacMini and then control playback using an iPad (or Android). For this to work you need to connect the SuperUniti to your network: usually via a cable but the SuperUniti does have wireless. As you assess though this bypasses all player software on your MacMini including Dirac processing.

Your alternative would be to add a USB to SPDIF box and connect that way; as you say this would be virtually the same as your existing system. If you are considering that setup, you might do better to keep your Ayre QB9DSD and partner it with a Naim SuperNait (their top integrated amplifier).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Bob ... the usual way of using the SuperUniti is to use it as a UPnP renderer (streamer) - option 3 in your list. With this you run a UPnP server (I would recommend MinimServer though alternatives such as Asset, Twonky and Serviio exist as alternatives) on your MacMini and then control playback using an iPad (or Android). For this to work you need to connect the SuperUniti to your network: usually via a cable but the SuperUniti does have wireless. As you assess though this bypasses all player software on your MacMini including Dirac processing.

Your alternative would be to add a USB to SPDIF box and connect that way; as you say this would be virtually the same as your existing system. If you are considering that setup, you might do better to keep your Ayre QB9DSD and partner it with a Naim SuperNait (their top integrated amplifier).

Thanks Eloise. I wanted to be sure that I had a handle on the options. Keeping the Ayre would still reduce the boxes. I guess option 3 is off the table. I might need to rethink Naim...

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

Thanks Eloise. I wanted to be sure that I had a handle on the options. Keeping the Ayre would still reduce the boxes. I guess option 3 is off the table. I might need to rethink Naim...

You really should go to a (your?) dealer and listen to some Naim. The stuff is seriously good.

Back in the day I used to sell the stuff and I'll tell you, an original SuperNait with a pair of Sonus faber Cremonas redefined a "simple" hifi. Outstanding!

David

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a SuperUniti and here is how it's set up - for the same reasons (great sound and simplicity. - the system must meet WAF requirements):

MacMini: headless running Roon with iPads as the controllers and has my library locally stored (I have a server version of the Mini with. 2TB onboard) - previously was running iTunes/Audirvana+ in integrated mode which worked very well. (I'm experimenting with HQ Player integrated with Roon to see if there is a worthy sound quality difference, but since the SuperUniti does its own jitter removal and 16x upsampling/filtering not sure it's making a difference but still experimenting)

Mac Mini is connected to SPDIF input using Audiophilleo 1. This combo has been sounding awesome. Interesting point is that Naim use the Audiophilleo technology in their DACv1 so that has a direct USB input, that would be a nice upgrade on the SuperUniti at some point and remove the need for the Audiophilleo box. One limitation I have on the Audiophilleo is that it does not support DSD128. I would get the. Audiophilleo with the DSD upgrade or find an alternative. I suspect the SuperUniti is good enough to not need a high end converter in reality but I'm not sure and the AP does a nice job.

I also have AirTunes for convenience, through the optical to slink into SuperUniti. The SQ of AirTunes is limited as you say, so this is only used for parties as a cheap multi-room system (Naim also has a multi-room capability now with SuperUniti so some day maybe I'll do more with this).

I could live with only those 'boxes' but I also have a turntable and power supply box..

I really like the SuperUniti sound and musicality - I have Goldenear Triton 2 speakers, which sound great to me and are easily driven by the SuperUniti 80 WPC without needing a bigger amp.

So technically, at its core a three box solution, but one of the boxes simply hangs off the back and you can't see it.

MacMini -> Audiophilleo 1 w/ Pure Power (2boxes technically)-> SuperUniti - > speakers.

With Roon things have become even more simple, because it has Tidal integration and can stream to other endpoints. And meets the usability requirement for my wife....I also like iRadio integration on the SU..

My wife and I have spent long sessions playing DJ with this setup, the SuperUniti can handle all file types well even some of our crappy downloads. And AAC stuff..

I wouldn't even consider going with Naim gear, or anything similar, without a thorough demo. Ayre and Naim sound completely different from each other. If you like your current system, you won't be happy with the change. Also, with your speakers, you need to be extra careful matching components for them. Not all components work well with efficient speakers, and as a result, its very easy to pick up a gain related hiss.

Hannover,

I was aware of the possibility of using an SP/DIF interface. I even have an old one kicking around. I just wanted to avoid it if possible. That option would let me keep Dirac which is not negotiable.

CR250

I do have a local dealer who carries Naim and is happy to let me demo the product. The Wilson's will be going too, though that is farther down the road. I've been happy with some previous Brit gear (Linn). The sound is different but enjoyable in its own way.

Been thinking about Hegel too, but no local dealer.

Hannover,

I was aware of the possibility of using an SP/DIF interface. I even have an old one kicking around. I just wanted to avoid it if possible. That option would let me keep Dirac which is not negotiable.

CR250

I do have a local dealer who carries Naim and is happy to let me demo the product. The Wilson's will be going too, though that is farther down the road. I've been happy with some previous Brit gear (Linn). The sound is different but enjoyable in its own way.

Interested to see what you decide!

If the Naim dealer won't let you take anything out of the store, he should have no problem with you bringing your Ayre components into the store.

My dealer is great. I've been with him for 25 years. True story: About 3 years ago I started having a problem with the volume control on my Ayre preamp. Even thought the Ayre wasn't in warranty any more and my dealer didn't even carry Ayre any more he took care of all the process of shipping the unit back to Ayre and gettting it fixed. He even gave me a loaner preamp to use while mine was at the factory. There are still a few good guys out there!

He would be happy to let me take the Nait home. He'd be even happier if I took a Devialet home. I'm going to listen to a Nait in the store today and then think a bit more. I tend to make my purchases very slowly these days. I don't change components every 6 months. I want a long term relationship.

F

I'll second the Linn gear. They have a terrific synergy with their streaming/digital products and their speakers that makes for an immediate and very musical presentation that I find extremely pleasing. If indeed the Wilsons might be leaving your system at some point soon you may want to find a Linn dealer and get a demo of what they have to offer in your price range. Good stuff.

David

I got to my dealer yesterday and had a chance to listen to some Naim gear. They didn't have the SuperUniti, but I did get a chance to hear the integrated pre-amp and dac with a pair of Wilson Sabrinas (which are very cute!). I could live with the sound. It was very rich without being overly dark. Anyone know if the SuperUniti has the same DAC? They didn't have a Devialet hooked up to anything I would consider buying so I didn't have a chance to audition it. I was a bit put off by the appearance. I thought it was brushed aluminum, but it's actually chrome. It's a silly thing but it looked gaudy. I will listen to one because I wouldn't spend much time looking at it. Stilll...

Post script: On my way out the sales guy said hey come into our big room and have a listen to something you'll be interested in. Something turned out to be some Rockfords in a dedicated room. They were driven by some D'angostino (spelling?) gear and the sound was mind boggling. But at 110,000 a pair I won't be too likely to be buying a pair any time soon.

What DAC did you hear... I assume the full width Naim DAC rather than the DAC v1. In this case the DAC is quite different in design to the DAC in the SuperUniti using (in the nDAC) the multi-bit Burr Brown PCM1704 vs newer TI/BB designs used in the SuperUniti.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

What DAC did you hear... I assume the full width Naim DAC rather than the DAC v1. In this case the DAC is quite different in design to the DAC in the SuperUniti using (in the nDAC) the multi-bit Burr Brown PCM1704 vs newer TI/BB designs used in the SuperUniti.

Eloise,

I heard the NAC-N 172 XS streaming preamp. It looks very similar to the SuperUniti. I can't find much info on the DAC used in the the SuperUniti on the Naim site.

Eloise,

I heard the NAC-N 172 XS streaming preamp. It looks very similar to the SuperUniti. I can't find much info on the DAC used in the the SuperUniti on the Naim site.

Ahhh ... I misread what you wrote.

There is some crossover but the NAC-N 172XS is closer to the Uniti and UnitiQute (as I understand it's than the SuperUniti as the SuperUniti has Naim's upsampling and buffering technology utilising SHARC DSP. Because of the SHARC processing the SuperUniti can support DSD playback (at least via UPnP) for example.

There is a certain similarity in the "family" sound and as you like the NAC-N 172XS (do you know what power amplifier by the way?) gives potential for you liking the SuperUniti; though I wouldn't buy a SuperUniti on the basis of liking the NAC-N 172XS.

Another similar all in one to the SuperUniti which might interest you is the Primare i32 with MM30 board.

Eloise

---

Eloise,

I heard it with a Naim amp. Can't tell you the model though it looked very similar to the preamp/dac in style. Will not even think about buying before hearing and listening. I will check out the Primare. Thanks for the tip. I live in an area of the states that's called "fly over" so finding a dealer is an issue.

Eloise,

I heard it with a Naim amp. Can't tell you the model though it looked very similar to the preamp/dac in style. Will not even think about buying before hearing and listening. I will check out the Primare. Thanks for the tip. I live in an area of the states that's called "fly over" so finding a dealer is an issue.

Difficult to guess the Naim power amp as they pretty much look the same as each other from the front. My thinking is that if it was a NAC-N 172XS then would be mated with a NAP 200 or NAP 155XS (the 200 being the better amp) so the power amp in the SuperUniti will be similar in power/capability. However the dealer may have felt the speakers needed a better amp and therefore mated the NAC-N 172XS with a NAP250 (which would be unusual match IMO) in which case the SuperUniti would perhaps be lacking with those speakers.

Eloise

---

Post script: On my way out the sales guy said hey come into our big room and have a listen to something you'll be interested in. Something turned out to be some Rockfords in a dedicated room. They were driven by some D'angostino (spelling?) gear and the sound was mind boggling. But at 110,000 a pair I won't be too likely to be buying a pair any time soon.

Why dealers do that is a mystery to me. Here you just got finished listening to something you specifically stopped by to hear so you have it fresh in your mind and they go and have you listen to something totally different and way out of the price range you were looking at. Odd and a weird way fir them to end a visit.

David

I got to my dealer yesterday and had a chance to listen to some Naim gear. They didn't have the SuperUniti, but I did get a chance to hear the integrated pre-amp and dac with a pair of Wilson Sabrinas (which are very cute!). I could live with the sound. It was very rich without being overly dark. Anyone know if the SuperUniti has the same DAC? They didn't have a Devialet hooked up to anything I would consider buying so I didn't have a chance to audition it. I was a bit put off by the appearance. I thought it was brushed aluminum, but it's actually chrome. It's a silly thing but it looked gaudy. I will listen to one because I wouldn't spend much time looking at it. Stilll...

Thanks for sharing this...was it Rockfords or Rockport that you heard? I had the same experience at my dealer in Boston where they proactive suggested listening to some amazing Rockport speakers : - )

Goodwin's High End - Rockport Technologies - High End Loudspeakers

Thanks for sharing this...was it Rockfords or Rockport that you heard? I had the same experience at my dealer in Boston where they proactive suggested listening to some amazing Rockport speakers : - )

Goodwin's High End - Rockport Technologies - High End Loudspeakers

It was Rockport. Guess I had a senior moment. They were amazing.