IGNORED

DR - what am I hearing

Got back to stereo listening after a 5 year hiatus as my speakers went into to storage for safe keeping from my dogs and kids. I was downloading primarily from HDTracks, but after exploring this site I am expanding my horizons. Great community here!

I am finding I prefer some versions that are lower dynamic range. The biggest examples are the RUSH sector versions (DR7-8) over the 192/24 (DR 12-14). The 192 versions have more info, so it must be the remix in the sector version I am appreciating/preferring?

Thanks!

Source: Oppo BDP-103d

Preamp: passive

Amp: Kenwood, some oldie but goodie

Speakers: B&W nautilus 804

Headphones: Senheiser HD 558

Could be. Or could be that you just like the sound of some volume compression. Or could be that your setup plays better at some rate other than 24/192.

Usually, if a lower and higher res version are released at the same time as "remasters" they aren't different remixes, but the lower res versions are just downsampled versions of the higher res remaster. In some (many) instances more volume compression is added to CD and/or mp3 versions when they are prepared for release, but usually they are the same mix as higher res remasters released simultaneously.

Of course if you take the same mix/master and volume compress one copy, that will subjectively change the perception of the mix, even if it is the same mix. So that may be what you prefer.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)