IGNORED

JRemote on IOS and data usage question (JRiver)

Here's an oddball question. When using the JRemote on my IOS (Iphone 6S device) on my cellular network I noticed a few things. I switched to the Verizon network (from Sprint) and the cell reception is much better. Songs on the JRemote app load up quickly with the green bar (just below the track info) showing solid to the end of the track. So, it appears this means the song is cached (or something similar) and once that happens the cell phone is no longer using data to play the song. I tried this by playing a track, and after a few seconds when the green bar is solid to the end of the track pausing the song and putting the iphone in "Airplane Mode" which turns off the cell reception. The track will play through to the end in Airplane mode since the song is cached up and of course I get a streaming network error on the next track since the cell reception is turned off. Does this make sense? This is good news (even though I'm on a hefty data plan) that once the song is "cached" the data is not burning up against my total amount.

Thoughts on this? I was using Sprint and their network is slow. Some songs would cut out as it was trying to cache up the song. So, I can only assume my data usage was higher with Sprint since it was using more data to get the song to play on the slower network.

Let me know if this makes sense and if my thinking is correct.

Thanks,

Spencer

Unless data has to be resent for some reason, I would expect the amount of data sent to be the same in both cases.

Hmmm. So if Sprint takes 1.5 minutes to cache full song and Verizon takes 20 seconds it's the same data usage? I'd appreciate clarification if possible.

Thanks,

Spencer

Hmmm. So if Sprint takes 1.5 minutes to cache full song and Verizon takes 20 seconds it's the same data usage? I'd appreciate clarification if possible.

Thanks,

Spencer

This is my understanding. Cell phone data usage is based on the amount of data transferred and this is determined by the size of file that JRemote downloaded to play on your phone. To reduce data usage only listen to CD quality music in a lossless compressed format such as FLAC. You could even convert your music to a lossy format such as <gasp> mp3 to reduce data usage even more using the Transcode option in JRemote.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

This is my understanding. Cell phone data usage is based on the amount of data transferred and this is determined by the size of file that JRemote downloaded to play on your phone. To reduce data usage only listen to CD quality music in a lossless compressed format such as FLAC. You could even convert your music to a lossy format such as <gasp> mp3 to reduce data usage even more using the Transcode option in JRemote.

Okay, I guess that makes sense. I use the JRemote app transcoder to mp3 (320kbps). All of my files are flac or m4a lossless. Are you saying it would use less data to stream at FLAC quality???

Okay, I guess that makes sense. I use the JRemote app transcoder to mp3 (320kbps). All of my files are flac or m4a lossless. Are you saying it would use less data to stream at FLAC quality???

I was comparing FLAC to uncompressed formats such as AIFF/WAV. Files in mp3 format will be smaller than the same files in FLAC/m4a format.

Got it. Thanks for all the info. I'm happy with the mp3 transcoder for now. Sounds pretty good without any interruptions/break ups on the Verizon network. I'm just worried about data consumption as I listen to this app all the time and wi-fi isn't an option on the road and at work. On the 18GB plan. I'd like to think I can stay within that? ;)

Also, I don't use streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music etc. Just JRemote only. I imagine those services use the same amount of data for their mp3 streams?

One advantage that some of services provide is an offline content mode. This keeps a local copy of the songs on your phone so you can listen to them at any time without additional data usage. This probably isn't an issue though if you've got 18GB/month of data. :)