IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Firedog - yes, this is exactly my thinking. As a default position, I'm just wary of switchmode hash injection back into the system, let alone specific performance on, here, the Brooklyn.

What are the Brooklyn's required ext psu specs? - what does the manual say?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 1 month later...

Makes you wonder how much better the original Mytek 192 would be with an ext psu ...? Mind you, I've wondered that since I got one, now 3 yrs back.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

"until we switched the Brooklyn to ANALOG preamp mode (at full gain since we were using an external preamp for volume control) from the BYPASS setting"

Can this be explained please? On the 192 Mytek were adamant that bypass was best if not using its pre.

I got the previous gen Clones for the macmini & it's been exc. But this current price would mean I'd prob go for the Uptone -

CLONES audio.

• 3 weeks later...

Does the internal PS do anything when you go external?

I apologize if this has been discussed before but is there any reason why I can't power my mac mini and a Brooklyn with my uptone JS-2 ?

Thanks

Have you been trying to do that?

Yes, the JS2 should work, set at 12 volts of course, but we can't be sure until its tried.

From Uptone site -

"Dual-output, choke-filtered linear power supply with four user-selectable DC output voltages.

Two independently adjustable, separately regulated outputs; Voltage choices are user set from the back panel: 5V, 7V, 9V, or 12V.

Guaranteed current capability is 5 amps continuous from either output at any voltage setting.

(Up to 6.8 amps split between outputs, depending upon DC voltage combination; Instantaneous capability of up to 10A).

User configurable for worldwide operation at 100/120/220/230/240 volts AC.

Dimensions: 9.0 inches wide x 9.1 inches deep x 3.3 inches tall (with feet).

Weight: 10.5 pounds; 14 pounds in its full double-box shipping cartons (shipping dimensions 14"x14"x9").

Warranty: 4-year parts and labor (excludes shipping costs after 90 days)."

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, good questions re dc-dc, etc.

• 1 month later...

An advantage of a decent passive pre ... deals with whatever output.

• 2 weeks later...

You should be able to re-allocate the mic via audio midi, as you do with output.

Caveat - I don't own a Brooklyn, yet, just the 192dsd dac.

• 1 month later...
Hi.

How can i change the jumper inside Brooklyn?

After everything set up, it sounded great but kind of distortion like overloaded preamp.

I saw in the manual, they suggested to change jumper to reduce output gain to -6db but it didn't describe how to do that. Just the picture of the jumpers.

Ok, so this is same issue as with the 192?

Thanks for your advice. it's really helpful. I will try it and reply you soon. ^^

When I owned the 192, I just didn't get this overload issue because of my passive preamp. Don't know if this applies to all such passives.

• 4 months later...

So, it wouldn't play eg my mono Pet Sounds cd from the Beach Boys box set of about a decade back?

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, lmitche said:

I agree with Zorntel.  The Brooklyn with an external power supply beats the Vega hands down.  However, in the end I sold both and went with the $549 IFI Black Label powered by an LPS-1 and running at DSD512 with hHqplayer upsampling.

Interesting ... sure I read that the iFi people regarded their dac2 as superior to the BL iDSD.

Might go with this though - looking for an 'interim' dsd dac.

(til Uptone release their dac!, which'll make it a lengthy interim).

Allowing 512 input?

4 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Larry, where/how is the LPS-1 being used in an iFi dac setup?

Ditto ... how does this setup go?

• 2 months later...

A+ will do 256, which I do thru an iFi iDSD.

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, jonniema said:

Well... I am not sure how packaging Pulse Density Modulation over Pulse Code Modulation protocol comes across as native to the audio industry. (which by the way today is tied to the computer industry if you didn't notice)

DoP is in fact not inferior, just different and it is something like a workaround. (did SACDs use DoP?)

It has its own advantages  such as increased compatibility, and disadvantages in the sense that you need more chip power to compute higher PCM sample rates in order to achieve higher DSD rates.

Since you like to paste some URLs let me also do that:

https://www.northstar.it/dsd-native-vs-dop/

Seems that audio industry is also not so sure if it is incorrect to call the Native DSD native.

But let's no go rogue on the topic, shall we?

And most of all let me have my own opinion on the matter. I will let you have yours :)

Cheers!

Do you ever accept that someone else is right?