IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

I will probably buy a Mytek Brooklyn next week and am seeking opinions on the better option for follow up service and repair if needed. Buy direct from Mytek in NYC or www.moon-audio.com? Moon has the Brooklyn in stock. I am using Tidal almost exclusively now and need a great DAC to decode MQA. Thanks!

14 hours ago, Duke40 said:

Brookyn DAC+ becomes available on the 16th, so it is about a week away.

May be worthwhile waiting and then compare the Brookyn with this new + version.

just a thought

First I heard of the DAC+ thank you kindly makes sense to wait

Edit: unless there are some specials on NOS original Brooklyn DACs at places like Moon Audio. At $1500 I might go with the original Brooklyn as reason for purchase is to be able to unfold fully MQA releases at Tidal. Interesting times.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, blues_pedaler said:

I, too, am getting ready to purchase the DAC+.  I see that the matching Brooklyn Amp is now shipping. If anyone has this amp or heard it at one of the shows, your impressions would be appreciated. No doubt Mytek has voiced this amp to be a synergistic companion to the DAC+ but having owned an old school Bel Canto class D (EVO 4), I find the class D characteristics somewhat lacking in emotional engagement for some reason. Mytek claims their design is Class A-ish.  I was hoping to get an independent verification of that before I take the plunge and take advantage of their current bundle pricing. I use JansZen electrostatics/dynamic hybrid speakers; they are very revealing, fast and transparent. So amplification matching is important. If there is a better place to pose this question on CA, please point me in the right direction. I'm a newbie and want to thank all of you for sharing your expertise and your patience.

You won't know if the Brooklyn Amp works with your speakers in your room until you get one in and try it. Make sure you can return for a refund if it does not work for you. What are the chances that a new amp on the market is a perfect match for your speakers?

I have had a Brooklyn DAC+ for two weeks now so can give some impressions. Main reason for the purchase was to listen to MQA on Tidal and was well worth the money to me. After a couple weeks of listening through Elears I am a fan of MQA. The built in headphone amp is very good; roughly equal to a Magni 3 I have on my desk. I prefer using a Vali 2 though which for me is a better match for the Elears.

The only complaint I have is SQ through the Toslink optical in. I have a Samsung TV at my desk and use the TV's PCM digital out into the DAC+ and hear digital glare, but only on the optical input. There is also a problem with intermittent drop outs using the Toslink input; through experimentation I found the drop outs vanished when I disabled MQA. With MQA off I tried the various filters but still heard the glare. It is annoying to the point that I keep a Schiit BiFrost/Magni 3 dedicated to the TV now and use the DAC+ for USB. Mytek support is aware of my problem. Not in a  hurry to send it back to get looked at as I am enjoying MQA too much. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using a Brooklyn DAC+ for over a month. Very satisfied would buy again. I have seen reviews on head-fi giving the nod to the DAC+ over Yggdrasil from users who have compared both. You have the MQA option with DAC+ which will never happen with Schiit gear. The DAC+ is the way to go don't save money by buying the original Brooklyn. My experience with the built in headphone amp is that it is decent, about the same as a Magni 3, not as good as a Vali 2. I am using HD800S which prefer tubes and am using the Vali 2 until my Kenzie arrives.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, 57gold said:

Brooklyn+ in the house.  Replaced a Stereo DSD192, one of the first made that has seen very heavy usage for past 6+ years.

Initial listening is pretty impressive.  Using HQPlayer to up convert PCM files to DSD128, suing the Mytek included USB cable (no FW on this unit), stock power supply using a Virtual Dynamics power cable that I bought for my old Wadia 861i, balanced out with analog volume control (don't own a pre amp).  

Across the board improvement - more coherent presentation, more body with quickness, and a significant reduction in high frequency edge versus the DSD192.  Really digging the improved clarity in reproduction of the percussion instruments, the clean shimmer and ring of the cymbals.  Piano work of Brad Mehldau on Peter Bernstein's new live album sounds so natural and John Abercrombie's guitar on Within a Song swirls with details I had previously missed. 

Will seem how it rocks in the AM.  Cocktail/jazz hour now in Tampa.

Also curious as to how an AQ Coffee sounds versus the stock USB cable and how this baby will break in.

Try using that AQ Coffee with a Schiit Eitr the Diamond is even better. The Coffee does give you about 85% of the Diamond the improvement from the Diamond is due to solid silver conductors.

3 hours ago, EVO2point0 said:

Also, do you guys see MyTek Brooklyn in the Safely remove hardware and eject media on Windows 10 notification ?

Any way to unlist MyTek Brooklyn DAC from the safely remove hardware list ?

i6I3af3.png

No as long as it is connected by USB you will see it on the list that is a feature of Windows. Why would you want to remove it from the list? If you eject it - it is no longer connected to your computer.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like the Brooklyn DAC+ is what you want. The headphone amp on my DAC+ is OK but nothing special about the same as a Magni 3. I use a Kenzie tube amp with HD800S. Sorry don't use speakers so can't comment there. What amp and speakers would you pair with the DAC+?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, aslg said:

I have a Brooklyn DAC+ with the latest firmware installed (v. 1.11) . I am currently testing the headphone output with my AKG Q701 and Sennheiser HD 650 headphones and I need to move the volume to the -25, -15 db range for reaching a satisfying level (and I am not the type of guy that likes to play music loud). 

I installed the jumpers but I think I read somewhere that they do not influence the headphone volume output.
Is it normal that I need to raise the volume so high with the above headphones or do I have a problem somewhere?

Thanks!

I normally run my DAC+ to an external amp. No jumpers installed, unit is stock from factory and a comfortable listening level for me using the headphone out with HD800S is -30 db. Why not open a support ticket at https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/support/ keep us informed.

@aslg I think if you contacted customer service I bet they would tell you there is no problem. The headphone amp in the DAC+ is not exceptional do you have an external amp? Even a $150 Schiit Vali 2 sounds better than the built in headphone amp. I know because I have one and used it until my Kenzie amp was built.

2 hours ago, aslg said:

@exdmd I do not have a headphone amp. The Brooklyn DAC+ is connected to an integrated Rogue Audio amp.

I ended up removing the jumpers and I can confirm @Sanlitun 's findings that the jumpers affect the headphone output too.
It is, more or less, a 5db difference that it is hard to miss.

But even with the higher output I do not like the sound too much. Do you like your Kenzie amp? Does it work well with the Brooklyn DAC+? Can I connect a headphone amp to the Brooklyn's XLR outputs leaving the RCA outputs for the integrated amp?

The Kenzie works quite well with the DAC+. Single ended only though no XLR inputs. If you need a TOTL headphone amp with XLR inputs you need to look at an amp like Eddie Current Aficionado ($3250). Which would probably be the last amp you would ever have to buy:) On a budget Schiit Mjolnir 2 ($849) is a good choice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been noticing an odd problem with my 5 month old DAC+. Using Sbooster LPS set at 13.2 V. Streaming Tidal MQA still sounds as good as ever but I have been noticing drop-outs where the blue MQA light goes off for a second or two, noticeable loss in sound quality, then comes back on. System is PC > Eitr > DAC+. Should I attribute the glitch to Tidal or return the unit to Mytek to be checked out? Still using original firmware the unit shipped with. Thanks for any help anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Yes it happens if I remove Eitr from chain and use PC > USB input DAC+. SQ is significantly improved using Eitr and have been using it for months no problem. Have some appointments this afternoon but will follow @jonniema suggestions report back this evening before opening ticket with Mytek. Thanks for help guys!

@jonniema several reviewers that recommended setting Sbooster LPS to 13.2 V for the Brooklyn were wrong because when I changed back to 12 V the intermittent problem I had been having with MQA dropping out ended, at least for the hour I just spent listening. Thanks for the well reasoned advice. Using Tidal player, low CPU load.

Won't call the problem solved until the DAC+ has been trouble free for a day or two. The SQ improvement provided by Eitr is significant and I would not enjoy listening to the DAC+ without it. My understanding was the Schiit Eitr contains its' own reclockers and is low jitter. Let's see how the simple fix works first before going for firmware updates or additional gear. Thanks again!