IGNORED

Design a PC/Server for ROON and HQ Player

sgr

Are you able to run the Roon on a CAPS v4 and its limited graphics ?

There is an option since Roon v1.1 to install it "headless" on servers that don't have the requisite Open GL (graphics) support (like my CAPS Pipeline). You can then control it by installing Roon in controller mode on a suitable tablet, laptop, or PC/MAC.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 months later...

Sounds great.

Just make sure you check the watts rating of the board/processor and the fanless case are compatible. The case will have a rating for the max temp allowed.

Very intensive calculations can get a fanless PC pretty hot. Music playback won't.

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

• 4 months later...
Can HQP dummy-upsample to DSD512 without being connected to a DAC just to see what load it generates?

I believe this hasn't been answered yet. Is there a way to do this? My DAC can't take high DSD rates, but I'd like to see if my server can do it, especially as at some point in the not to distant future I'll be replacing the DAC with one that can.

• 1 month later...
Did someone tried to go fanless with HDPLEX H5. It support max 95W TDP and have also option of heatpipe cooling for graphic card. In this option they putted GTX960 https://www.endpcnoise.com/gaming-pcs/h5-fanless-gaming-pc. I wonder if it will be ok for DSD512 upsampling with i7-6700 skylike.

They built a CAPS4 Pipeline-like server for me that I'm very happy with. No video card. The supported TDP is 95 and the TDP of the chip/motherboard is 85. Nonetheless, it can get very warm internally (not externally) if pushed to do continuous serious computing. I overheated it once, when I had it try to calculate volume normalization calculations for my entire music library nonstop, as fast as it could. Other than that it has been great and doesn't get too hot, even when upsampling (I don't do DSD 512, only 128).

I think in that configuration you might be pushing the heatsinks, etc. on that build to their limits. I'm not an expert. If I were you I'd talk to them about how you intend to use the machine and see what they say.

You might also want to consider a build with a very quiet exhaust case fan. They sell, big slow moving case fans that have a db rating of 15 db. This is about half the ambient noise in pretty much any domestic room -even a quiet one. Highly likely you will never hear them, especially if you aren't sitting right next to them. Adding one would probably eliminate any fears of overheating.

• 7 months later...
Can the i7-6700k doing DSD512 be passively cooled? If not, does anyone know of a processor that can be passively cooled that can handle DSD512 as well as all of the HQP filters? I know this may be a longshot.

There are also some fanless liquid cooled models on the market. Quiet and stay cool enough to do what you want. I believe there was someone here using this to upsample to DSD512.