IGNORED

Ok, I've got Dirac but can't get it working

Hi

Trial-ed Dirac, on Win 10 and rather liked the result.

Liked to the point, where card flashing happens.

Soon enough I had a activation key, and downloaded the full version

So I proceeded to uninstall the trial version and installed and activated the full version. So far, so good.

The next step, was to set up the Dirac Processor as the default device in settings > control panel > sound > advanced settings > playback and settle down to some music. And that's where it all came unstuck. It is not visible there.

I have reported the issue to the Dirac helpdesk (but that was late last night and Sweden is only 3.5 hrs behind my time). I have read the FAQ and tried stopping the processor in services and re starting it. Curiously, the calibration tool is willing to let me initiate a measuring session - though my Umik II is safely in its box and not connected.

Am I looking at a Windows reinstall or something less drastic ?

Oh, it was cold and uncomfortable on the couch, with no DRC goodness for solace. "you bought that [and there is nothing to point at] for Eu 389 ! "

gr

I have no experience yet with Win 10, just 7 Pro. First, DLCT is different from the DAP, and it can be used without a mike with a previously stored mike calibration project to view graphs, modify target curves, etc. DLCT does need an active internet connection to be useable, I believe.

The flakiness you describe is mainly a "feature" of the clumsy way Windows handles sound. Yes, the DAP must first be set as the default sound processor. I have no idea why you cannot even see it. Did you disable it by accident in Windows Sound? You should be able to change the view there to see all sound devices, including disabled ones, then enable and set it as the default.

If if that is not the problem, then you probably need Dirac tech support to walk you through your setup. There are too many possibilities and it needs to be gone through in small steps from the beginning. It should not take long.

I do have the occasional incident with playback through the DAP, even when it is the default for playback. But, it never just disappears. Whenever I start it, it automatically becomes the default in Sound. But, Windows is tricky in that area sometimes. My JRiver does not see it or DAP is not connected to the ASIO driver for my DAC. I have learned how to quickly diagnose and fix these glitches.

The little bit of flakiness is insignifignant compared to the huge sonic benefit from Dirac.

the DAP must first be set as the default sound processor. I have no idea why you cannot even see it.<snip>Dirac tech support to walk you through your setup<snip>to the huge sonic benefit from Dirac.

Thanks.

Got back home, post work, late in the evening with a plan of a) deep breaths to look calm and composed and uninstall and reinstall Dirac b) do something drastic to windows.

By then, Flavio from Dirac had mailed me saying he is looking into the issue.

Happily the reinstall worked flawlessly with no issues. To check if things were indeed, all peachy, did a measuring session and created a filter for DAP, which obligingly showed up in settings to claim default device status.

I'm quite happy with the target curve DLC proposed and that's what I listened with last night. I agree with your observation on sonic benefit derived.

gr

I'm quite happy with the target curve DLC proposed and that's what I listened with last night. I agree with your observation on sonic benefit derived.

That turned to be bigger than expected !

I listen to my music through Dali Zensor 5s. The manufacturer recommends no toe-in, but I figured that these are not ribbon equipped so maybe I can turn them towards the listening position a bit.

Which led to a total rethink of my arrangement (which was based on pre Dirac considerations), a remeasure with string, tape and mic.

The new arrangement resulted in a bit of furniture reflecting the sound back at me, sorted that out, and finally a new set of measurements for Dirac. That was two evenings of slog.

The results ? I've finally got the speakers to almost disappear. Bass, depth, soundstage, a bit of shimmer, a centre image that is palpably real, all there now.

It is ofc, not quite there with DAP off.

So I think I can tell myself in a Arthur Hoggett voice "That'll do pig, that'll do" and settle down to listen to some music.

gr