IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Does the Lightning software allow you to easily switch between outputs? I'd like to connect the Mini to my Trends TA-10.2 amp via RCA and also to the Resonessence Herus DAC/headphone amp via USB. Then I could keep everything connected and just use the software to switch between the two depending on whether I want to use speakers or headphones.

Thanks!

Yes, it is very easy to switch outputs from using it as a DAC via RCA to using it as a streamer via an output such as the USB port.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

See this thread on the Auralic LPS. By changing some internal switches it can be configured. I would recommend contacting Auralic on guidance.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-aries-hardware-impressions-and-information-21261/index30.html#post356070

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Is there a way to delete specific tracks or albums easily from the internal drive?

Yes, you can access the drive directly over the network from a computer and either add or delete tracks/albums.

Barr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@rjb301 -

You do not want to try to copy files to the Auralic as you do not have an internal drive installed in the Auralic.

The correct thing is as you have done to connect the USB Drive ( Toshiba ) to the USB input port on the Auralic.

Questions, what file format is the Toshiba drive in, I assume you formatted it with your Mac?

Second is the external power you use for your Toshiba drive or is the Auralic powering it?

And most importantly, what error message did you receive when trying to load your library from the USB drive?

austinpop and SuperPang - are you both using the Lightning Server software with the Aries to manage your music library on your NAS?

I ask in case one of you might be using Minimserver as opposed to Lightning Server.

In other words, I for example have a Synology NAS, running Minimserver and do not have an issue, but since I am not running the Lightning Server software I cannot attest to whether it is from time to time perform activity on the NAS which would keep it from going to sleep. Given that one has to force a re scan for when new content is added, I would not think Lightning Server is constantly polling the NAS< but as suggested by austinpop it is worth contacting Auralic Support.

• 2 weeks later...
I own an Auralic Aries Mini. After a few weeks the left line out channel stopped working. The left speaker is just hissing softly. When rebooting the mini, the left speaker cracks 2-3 times. I tested amp and spaker, it is really the Mini. Did anyone have the same problem? Does anyone have an idea how I could solve it on my own before sending it for repair?

I run the Mini with an internal Samsung SSD with internal DAC via line out to amp.

Many thanks for your replies.

Jut double checking, have you tried changing out the cable between the line out on the Aries Mini and your pre amp?

Or at least swap the RCA cable connection to the back of the Aries Mini, meaning swap the right and left cables at the output of the Aries Mini to see if the problem moves to the right speaker?

I too have an internal HD in the Aries Mini an use it via line out.

Was your dealer or Auralic Support able to provide any troubleshooting tips?

It does sound like you may have to send back if you can confirm other devices work fine with your preamp/amp and speakers.

• 4 weeks later...

@Luvdac - Try this test. For an album that is composed of DSF files, drop the album art (cover art) into the same folder with the name "folder.jpg"

I suspect that will work, were you previously using JRIVER?

Just curious - what is the full name of the .jpg file in each folder? Is it Folder.jpg, folder,jpg, AlbumName.jpg?

As an experiment, try downloading Yate and open one of the albums where all the files are in DSF format and see if you see the album art. If not, try embedding it with Yate and then see if it works with the Aries Mini.

BTW are you using Lightning Server on the Aries Mini with the external hard drive attached to the Aries?

@Luvdac - glad to hear that a reset and rescan did the trick for you. And clearly you had everything set up correctly from the get-go.

• 3 weeks later...

And here is my update as I have had the Aries Mini for many many months now.

I use it wireless with DAC and line outs into my Devialet 400 and/or powered Adam A7 studio monitors. I have used both streaming from my Synology NAS as well as using an internal drive in the Aries Mini.

Performance in both scenarios has been flawless.

No drop outs, no hiccups. I have thrown everything from redbook to 24/196 PCM to DSD128 at it with no issues at all.

I have used it with both the Auralic Lightning Server software and with Minimserver software.

I have controlled it from my iPhone, iPad and from my Mac using Linn Kazoo both for music playback and Tidal streaming ( BubbleUPnP Server running on Macbook so I can use Tidal as well from Linn Kazoo.

Sounds wonderful in my system, and other than a few hiccups here and there ( minor in nature ) has worked as advertised. I think it is well worth the price given the richness of features.

• 2 weeks later...

@scp2 - what router are you using, if it is an Apple Extreme I can assist on setting a fixed IP address. But if your Mini is connected via ethernet this really should NOT be an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

@mecani - Hello and welcome. Hola y beinvenido.

One user has verified the Aries with the M2Tech Young DAC.

Additional information for Auralic Support:

[h=1]Does My DAC Work With ARIES MINI USB Output?[/h]The operating system of ARIES MINI is based on Linux kernel with UAC 2.0 driver included. If your DAC does not require a driver to work under Mac OS X system and it is an USB Audio Class 2 version (support sampling rate above 96Khz), it will most likely be compatible with ARIES MINI.

The Mytek DSD192 and those using 1st generation of M2Tech USB module are also supported by 3rd party driver integration for firmware V1.11 and above. NOTE: 3rd party driver integration are AS IS, AURALiC will not be able to provide any additional support for the functionality.

• 2 weeks later...

Auralic made the decision not to offer RoonReady for the Aries Mini. It is one of several differentiators across the various products in the line up. So I would not expect that support any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...
I do not understand how you scan the library with the mini. I think I am just confused but since most of my music is streaming then I still need to choose what album ot track or playlist to play. Help me with a solution to the device not being roon ready?

Where is your music library stored?

Are you using the Auralic Lightning application on an iPad? Or some other music player such as Roon?

Do you already have an Aries Mini?

I was advised not to use a 12V power supply with the Aries Mini. Jason has details on this, but I need to dig up his comments.

Well that is probably why Auralic has this posted on their website in their FAQs.

[h=1]What is the Specificaion of ARIES MINI Power Input[/h]It is 16V in 1A as standard.

The lowest acceptable input voltage is 14V(1.2A) and the maximum is 18V(1A).

• 3 weeks later...

@Cornan - I believe that this is in reference to using the ARIES ( including LE edition ), not the Aries Mini. I know several people who have powered their standard ARIES with the JS-2 and were quite pleased with the sound quality. Some preferred it to the linear power supply provided with the high end Aries.

Regardless, let us know how you fair with your battery power supply.