IGNORED

NOS DAC sound more natural

• 5 weeks later...

Can someone explain what an "aliasing artifact" actually sounds like during playback?

I've heard all the intellectual arguments on both sides, but have found I personally feel a deeper connection to the music and the artists' intent when listening to NOS DACs. I simply want to listen more and longer. I typically don't have that same response to DACs that perform various types of processing, up/oversampling or filtration.

This isn't a statement about every DAC, simply what I'm willing to put my hard earned money behind.

FWIW, my DAC uses the AD1865N-K chip.

I've owned three NOS DACs - the Red Wine Audio Bellina, Mojo Audio Mystique v1.0 and now the Mojo Audio Mystique v2.0, which is definitely the best DAC I've owned. I've had a few others in the past - a couple of ESS Sabre based and one Burr Brown.

I agree implementation is a very big determinant of sound quality, but for some reason, NOS DACs help me relax into the music - others, not so much. Wish I could try 'em all, but that's not so easy these days.

I'm very happy with my NOS DAC and feel no need to up my specs. Just trying to understand audibility of aliasing and why folks that are negative on NOS DACs are always trotting aliasing out like it's some obvious distortion we unwitting NOS supporters aren't hearing.

My interest in listening to music and the length of my listening are both greater when listening NOS - guess that says it all.

Perception is a funny thing. I can point to a number of OS DACs I think sound worse than NOS. Of course, OS DAC proponents will say the current measurements support their position. The fact we have people on both sides of this argument indicates we don't yet fully understand the signal/ear/brain interface well enough.