IGNORED

UpTone Audio REGEN Power Supply Add-On

Are you buying one?  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have two meanwell Power Supplies. One for the Regen and one for the Mac mini. Do you think I could use the Power Supply Add On for the Mac Mini 12V meanwell Power Supply that you helped me during the MMK Kit Conversion?

Hi Wayne:

If you are asking if you can power our new "mystery" 5/7V 1 amp supply with the 12V/90W supply you are presently using with your Mac mini, then the answer is yes. But I wonder why you would to for two reasons:

a) Why not power it with the 7.5V/22W Mean Well that came with your REGEN?

b) If you used the 12V/90W Mean Well to power our new device, then what would you then use to power your Mac mini? Did you get some other 12V LPS for your mini? (thought you were saving up for a JS-2 :))

And to be clear, our new device--even if energized by a 12V supply--will not then put out the 12V/4A needed to power a computer. It is just 5V/7V at 1-1.2 amps.

Lastly, the MW 12V/90W I bought for you and shipped with your Mac Mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK) has a 5.5mm x 2.5mm plug on its DC output cord. As explained, our new device has 5.5mm x 2.1mm jacks.

Hi Alex

Together with the 3 options, will there also be on option to order an Y-cable to feed 2 REGENs ?

That's a thought. Maybe I'll stock some 'Y' cords.

Honestly though folks, it seems premature to have so many questions about usage, cabling, and external supplies. The product is still a least two months away from production, and we have a whole lot of other details to attend to to make this happen. Yes, I know it is my own fault; if I had not revealed that we are developing this thing then there would not be all these questions.

But since I am in such a good mood (have you seen AudioStream this morning with Lavorgna's ranking of the REGEN in his round-up?), below is a shot of the case that the new PS will come in (front will of course have logo, etc. printed, rear will have printing and milled openings for jacks, LED, and 5/7V switch. Case size is 30mm tall and 110mm square. Fits in your hand.

P1080781.JPG

Gonna be a VERY busy holiday season at the UpTone Audio workshop...hope more workers are on the way.

What are you talking about? At the rate REGENs are selling, I was planning to retire by the holidays. ;) (Just have to find a crew of elves to take my place and keep the sleigh aloft. And at least one elf has to be good at e-mail...)

I assume that most of you have seen this from this morning:

USB Accessory Roundup: UpTone Audio USB REGEN, AudioQuest JitterBug, Schiit Wyrd | AudioStream

REGEN came out on top. The best quote from it, so perfect and with no equivocation is this one:

If I Just Want To Buy One, Which One Should I Buy?

In my systems and to my ears, the UpTone Audio REGEN is the device to buy. The improvements offered were greater than the JitterBug and the Wyrd. I found that the REGEN added weight, clarity, and ease to the presentation to a greater degree than the others. For me, this is simply the way it is. No ifs, ands or buts. --Michael Lavorgna, Editor, AudioStream.com

The difference that the Amber Regen made at a recent Sydney listening session when supplied markedly improved power were FAR from subtle !

Yes, but I meant when I said what Rick quoted was that the "amber" upgrade's remarkable bass gets noticed the most, while the other qualities inherent in the REGEN (both before and after the extra ground resistance that made the "amber") may not be as noticeable.

The original "green" REGEN was not subtle either, but it did not have that, "oh wow, where'd all that bass detail come from?" effect.

The "amber" (those being the 1000+ units shipped since after the first 98 "green") is no doubt better in all respects. I should not have made the comment as it only confuses the issue.

--Alex C.

P.S. This thread is going to be moved to my new "sponsored forum" here on CA. Subscription notices should carry over and I think some sort of pointer will remain in the DAC forum topic list.

Hi Alex, just a simple clarification - will the power supply be able to power simultaneously a Regen and a 5V device ?

Thanks !

Not unless that 5V device does not mind getting 7V. ;) (Actually, the buck regulators in many devices don't mind taking care of the drop; most devices are taking it down to 3.3V or less anyway; But I am not advocating using 7V into a device labeled for 5V.)

Our new piece has just one output and a slide switch to select 5V or 7V. You can use a 'Y' cord on it to power two low current devices (say two REGENs)--just as long as continuous draw of the two combined does not exceed 1-1.2A (still testing the limits, will release with one solid max current figure).

Just to clarify what John said, the idea behind a special AC>DC "feeder supply" to power our DC>DC mystery supply is strictly to offer something that puts WAY less (almost none) crap back into the wall. Not just less than an SMPS does, but also less than most all traditional (non-choke filtered) LPS units do.

As explained before, the mystery DC>DC supply will not care in the least what feeds it, could be godawful bad DC--as long as it is in the voltage and current range specified.

The point of the second piece--which honestly is at least a couple months behind the main show--is to have something for those whose systems/brains are allergic to any SMPS. I've been searching for transformers for it (the feeder) and we may size the thing to 12V/3A so that it could supply two of the mystery units.

I hope that preempts a bunch of premature questions. :)

Happy Sunday,

--Alex C.

Are you thinking of the iFi iUSB? That is a USB filter, somewhat like the Regen, and yes I compared the two and the Regen was decidedly superior.

I see I have a few posts to correct, but since this is where it veered, I'll start here:

The iFi USB is not a USB filter, nor is the REGEN. And neither they nor we claim them to be. In the iFi iUSB Power (its official name, not to be confused with the iPower), the data line traces run straight from input to output (and unlike in the JitterBug, iFi actually pays attention to maintaining correct impedance):

457390_490388604330220_623625141_o.jpg

Now it would be sort of correct to sat that the iFi iUSB filters the 5V USB bus power, expect that is does not. Like the REGEN, it tosses the USB 5V from the computer altogether and uses the power coming from its external DC adapter to produce with a regulator and some networks a very clean 5V to send along to the DAC. That is its whole and sole purpose (plus they offer the ground lift switch which helps some but not others). It might even be producing cleaner 5V DC than the REGEN, I don't know (neither John or I have looked at their reg or the circuit in detail, and even then if would be poor form to comment).

As for the REGEN:

As stated many times, we toss out the 5VBUS and deliver out own, but this feature is not the REGEN's raison d'être.

But we DO NOT "filter" the USB data signal either. One really can't or shouldn't put passive filter parts on a USB signal. The REGEN, with its hub chip, USB clock, and careful power network, has two USB protocol engines (as hub chips do), and generates an ALL NEW USB signal of high integrity and ideal impedance--just a few centimeters from the input of your DAC (assuming the use of the solid adapter and not some long USB cable).

Okay, onward… :)

P.S. Sorry classfolkphile (great user name BTW), I just saw that you got it right in post #260.

Alex C

In which case, something like that at the link, with appropriate mains pins, should be quite adequate (AND inexpensive) for powering a single Regen?

Regards

Alex K

Power Adaptor Plugpack 12V AC 1A M9267A | eBay

Wow, you completely lost me there Alex K. What does a crappy 12V/1A AC wart have anything to do with powering a REGEN or our mystery DC>DC supply?

I don't know if the iPower has the amps to power the whateveritis. John, Alex?

As covered somewhere up-thread, the whateveritis will run on the range from 7.5 to 12V, and as the input supply voltage goes up, the current requirement goes down. At present (subject to change), that looks to be: 7.5V/2.5A, 9V/2.0A, 12V/1.5A.

But per the iFi iPower spec page, the three versions they offer of this SMPS come in at: 5V/2.1A; 9V/1.5A; 12V/1.1A. So I am afraid the iPower won't see service with the whateveritis.

There would not be much point anyway, since the whateveritis will sound the same on clean or dirty power! And the iPower SMPS is not, AFAIK, making any claims about being more benign to the AC mains--with regards to the high frequency stuff SMPS put back into the wall--than other, cheaper warts. So if you buy an iPower before you buy a whateveritis, just find some other use for it in your system (and as explained, I won't have enough juice for our piece anyway).

Next. ;)

It likely depends on whatever whateveritis is powering.

Hi Forrest: No, it does not at all. I can't be more specific than that at present, but a light load on the whateveritis does not reduce the requirements of the "energizing" supply (those requirements preliminarily outlined above).

Well, you already have something better AFAIK. Whateveritis only supplies 1A, and even if it were shunt type of pwere supply, it is very unlikely to need more than 1-200mA extra. Typical supplies mainly require extra voltage headroom. The 3A Meanwell was chosen for better load regulation due to the oversized parts. Unless you are drawing ALOT of DAC power, the iPower should be just fine.

Sorry bud. The only part you got right with regards to our products is that I chose the 22W Mean Well because it sounded better than the lower wattage units--likely because of bigger output caps. Physically it was the same size as their 18W version, and the higher wattage units jumped up in price and size.

Since its purpose is to power a Regen (or two), that's the situation I'm asking about.

Long as I've got you answering questions, what would be the optimum voltage to which to adjust the El Cheapo if powering a whateveritis running two Regens?

Hi Jud: I think with my just posted posts the picture should be getting much clearer for your questions. The output load capability (1.0-1.2A) of the DC>DC whateveritis is not affected at all by the voltage or current capability of the AC>DC unit feeding it.

For your El Cheapo, use my guide of 7.5V/2.5A, 9V/2.0A, 12V/1.5A to determine if it is capable of powering the whateveritis. SQ across the voltage range of the powering supply will not vary.

I was referring here to the "feed supply" mentioned by John.

Depending on whether the Regen(s) needed to also provide +5V bus current, a single 12V 1A AC plugpack may be able to do the job instead of a bulky standard transformer and it's requisite housing, AC input socket etc. at a fraction of the additional cost ?

Oh okay, but I think you mis-understood what he meant by an AC supply. He meant AC as in plugs into the wall. The "feeder supply" (NOT for direct connection to the REGEN but for connection to the "whateveritis" DC-DC supply) will be an 12V/3A AC>DC supply designed to put the lowest possible amount of grunge and harmonics back into the wall.

The 12V/1A AC>AC supply can have no place whatsoever in any of this. Sorry for the confusion. :)

Bigger cap=oversized parts- I was attempting to be succinct. Are you saying that your whateveritis requires 2A @ 9V to make 1A @ 5V and the current remains the same regardless of load?

Yes, current requirement for the "energizing" supply remains the same regardless of the load on the DC-DC whateveritis supply. I know that 2A @ 9V to make 1A @ 5V sounds inefficient but that's just the way this thing works. :)

The tesla based Fusion-X3 adapter will be presented in the middle of september according to Alex.

Sorry, definitely NOT in September. But nice attempt to give it a name. :) We already have a name for it though. I just can't say it because it will give away the surprise. (Plus I'm waiting for the first round of my trademark paperwork to come back.)

Have two questions for you if i may:

I have placed a order on the Regen with delivery in October, is this equipped with the improved Amber circuit board if i understand it correctly, or is it even better, and will it be possibly to place a pre-order on the upcoming add-on power adapter later on or?

/ Fredrik

Hi Fredrik:

The "amber" version of REGEN is what has been out there since after the very first 98 units of green (the LED color is what it refers to; and all 98 of the first users took advantage of a great upgrade deal--yet got to keep their "green" boards). So all 1,400 REGEN units since then are the "amber" version--and that is what you will receive.

You can read more about how the change came about on my last website blog entry in May (been too busy to post since then):

USB REGEN updated. Amazing bass! All unshipped orders will be the late – UpTone Audio

As for the mystery PS that is the subject of this thread, no, we will not be taking pre-orders on it (nor am I keeping a list of interested parties) until the day it is put up on our web site. That day will be when all manufacturing is lined up (POs placed with both board house and custom enclosure maker) and I have delivery-to-my-dock dates close enough to estimate and promise customer deliveries for the first 250 unit run.

And I promise, nobody here or on my mailing list will miss the announcement.

Thanks for your interest. John and I will keep you all posted.

--Alex C.

For those who can´t wait ... I can really recommend the chinese Ebay LPS (9V) BUT the big surprise was the SBooster Ultra. It was well worth the money. Let´s say that the LPS improved the Regen with 20% and the SBooster with 40% (I know, I know it is difficult to express SQ with percentage).

Wiebren from SBooster wrote to me: The Sbooster Ultra removes the residual noise of a (linear) power supply and will work with your 9V LPS. Second the Sbooster Ultra will improve the transient response of your LPS which is an very important factor for high quality audio playback.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I am so embarrassed:

Wiebren from SBooster sent me both the standard (passive) and Ultra (active) versions if his in-line DC filters several months ago. Those, along with a SOtM mBPS-D2s battery supply sent by Jesus at Sonore, and a 9V iFi iPower sent by Rich B. of Signature Sound are all still sitting on the floor next to my front-end rack. I have not taken the time to listen to any music (on my main system) in 2 months, and all those little devices deserve to be auditioned soon. Maybe this weekend it will happen.

@Superdad

When do you expect to let the new Power Adaptor see the sunlight?

During Q1 next year or earlier?

Hi:

That's a fair question. And the answer is: I don't know.

October is definitely out, and November seems iffy as well. Everything is pretty well lined up--enclosures artwork/milling drawings are being done, I just sent funds to China for 1,000 pieces of a 70mm DC cable (16awg coax with 5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs both ends, one end right-angle).

But because there are so many key circuits to this unique piece that have to work just right, and this crazy supply will even have a CPLD in it--John is still moving through the process of getting it to sing just right. And then we still have to run and test preproduction boards because there is no way we are going to run 250 units immediately after working prototypes--that would be foolish and asking for trouble.

So sit tight for a while everyone. I promise you all will be the first to know as soon everything comes together.

Thanks,

ALEX C.

P.S. Yes, many, many REGENs (and JS-2s) going out this month again--and next month too! :) About 120 people will receive shipping notices tomorrow (Friday), and then 150 next Friday and so on. Thanks for your patience.

I wish you the best of luck on this!

The standard adapter that is included works with 230v for us on the other side of the "small lake" i assume?

My last question is if i get any benefit to buy two or even three REGENś and use them in a series? Do i gain any advantages or is it just subtle AQ increase if you are using more than one?

My currently DAC is a Chord Hugo, but have ordered the upcoming Chord DAVE.

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement.

Yes, the Mean Well 7.5V/2.93A/22W SMPS brick that ships with the REGEN is world-voyage compatible. But the detachable 45cm IEC60320 C13 cord that comes with it has a NEMA 5-15 USA plug at the wall end. You will need to either supply your own local cord or cut the end--off the short one that comes with the REGEN--and attach a Schuko or other local style plug.

One of the reasons we chose to include a world-voyage-compatible power supply with standard, detachable IEC mains socket (aside from not liking wall-wart adapters) is so that people in various countries could either use their own standard local cord or cut the USA plug off and attach a local plug. Trying to stock cords for every country is a nightmare, and I have never been able to find them in very short lengths. A longer cord (not needed because the DC output cable from the SMPS is nice and long) would then keep us from shipping the REGEN in the small USPS Flat-Rate Box, and thus the international shipping would double. I did not think that our international clients would want to pay $25 more so we could include a 1.5m power cord.

Many people over on the other REGEN threads have reported liking 2 REGENs in series, the idea being that giving the PHY chip in the DAC-connected REGEN better signal integrity from a REGEN just before it is of benefit. I personally have been too busy to even try this, so you will have to look to others regarding the degree of efficacy. (I would think it silly to go beyond two in series, but maybe some people are obsessed.;))